• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official post-2020 Democrats Thread - Dems in Disarray! Hot takes welcome here!

There’s almost nothing “broadly achievable” under a Dem administration with a Republican Senate and split house. You’re absolutely handicapping the party by limiting the messaging to what’s achievable under this government. Honestly your vision of our government is more nihilistic than mine, because you don’t believe anything will ever change.

Pushing for a $15 minimum wage and a public option. Why is that less inspiring than pushing for Medicare for all?

If you're going to go by the same poll that you posted where medicare-for-all is popular you have to admit that a public option is more popular. The inspiration comes in how the message is delivered

Amy McGrath out performed biden in Kentucky. Paula Jean swearengin and Bradshaw underperformed Biden in Tennessee and West Virginia. We came very close to flipping North Carolina and the senate seat we flipped Georgia and came very close in those Senate races. We put in inspiring choices like you would have preferred and those Senate races would not even have been close. Also having liberal activist yell at the top of their lungs about how we're going to pack the court and give DC statehood probably didn't help us and all of these close Senate races. Did you hear the Republicans talking about how they were going to cut corporate taxes during the 2016 election?

The inspiration comes in how the message is delivered

No it doesn’t. The inspiration comes from convincing half the voters that the a president is a fascist and a fake Republican, otherwise your inspiring message of achievability got killed in every downballot race that would have made it achievable. It’s confusing to me how on the one hand you can continually remind me that Republicans have been dominating the Democrats for 30 years, and the other hand be so absolutely sure that this neoliberal message of pragmatic achievement is the only possible winning strategy. You don’t think we have enough proof by now that your strategy can’t defeat the Republican strategy? Neoliberalism may have won, culturally, but it’s a political dead-end.

well, I didn't expect that you would have an epiphany and agree with me.

well, I didn't expect that you would have an epiphany and agree with me.

I just want you, or any of the other moderate “centrists” reading this to answer...any of my questions, but most specifically, what “messaging” problem do you have with the national Democratic Party? Besides the party not outright condemning the BLM protests and AOCs criticism?

I just don’t understand how *you* can say the party has a messaging problem, when the current messaging is completely tailored for you.

The $15 minimum wage is an easy sell IMO. The fact that it’s not pushed more is just another Democratic failure. The messaging behind the public option is equally inept. It should be framed as a free market solution: why shouldn’t you be able to purchase the type of insurance that currently covers approximately 40% of American citizens? By taking away that option, you’re limiting the consumers freedom. Instead, they let it get painted as another handout we can’t afford, which is bullshit and counter productive.

The $15 minimum wage is an easy sell IMO. The fact that it’s not pushed more is just another Democratic failure. The messaging behind the public option is equally inept. It should be framed as a free market solution: why shouldn’t you be able to purchase the type of insurance that currently covers approximately 40% of American citizens? By taking away that option, you’re limiting the consumers freedom. Instead, they let it get painted as another handout we can’t afford, which is bullshit and counter productive.

The $15/hour minimum wage got 60% in Florida. That is a lot of "ticket splitting" away from the republican party position.

Selling the M4A position as putting another option out instead of insisting that it be the ONLY option would probably garner more support. There is a slice of the US population that doesn't want a government run plan for themselves, but would be ok with one available to somebody else. Put it out there. Let it compete in the market place. My guess is that in a few years it would cover more than 80% of the population.

If M4A is that good, why not let it compete? This is America. Build a better mousetrap...

Hey guys, bad news. Just read on Twitter that Trump said he WON THE ELECTION.

In all seriousness, it's depressing that every tweet he makes is fact checked with a disclaimer. What kind of fucking shit hole world are we living in?

The $15/hour minimum wage got 60% in Florida. That is a lot of "ticket splitting" away from the republican party position.

Selling the M4A position as putting another option out instead of insisting that it be the ONLY option would probably garner more support. There is a slice of the US population that doesn't want a government run plan for themselves, but would be ok with one available to somebody else. Put it out there. Let it compete in the market place. My guess is that in a few years it would cover more than 80% of the population.

If M4A is that good, why not let it compete? This is America. Build a better mousetrap...

So Medicare for All Who Want It.

I think there are a lot of folks out who just want some type of effective universal health care. If the top economies each have different forms of universal health care, why is it there's a specific one we HAVE to have and if we don't have it, we can't claim to have universal health care?

The harsh reality of any plan is that Republicans will sabotage it in any way possible as we've seen with ACA. So we're either stuck with half measures or we create some plan that people who want it can get it and red states or people who don't can't ruin it for the rest of us.

People like "choice" even when "choice" is destructive (i.e. school choice, private insurance), so why not give them the illusion of choice with a suite of government plans that allow private insurance to exist but ultimately crowd them out while better serving the people.

"Cancel Student Debt" is a good message, we should run with that. Fuck health care, we are all gonna die anyway. Give Americans a clean slate on student debt and let us at least live a little bit before we do kick the bucket.

Dem's lose another congressional race:

Incumbent Gil Cisneros just conceded to Republican challenger Young Kim. FWIW, this is in a district that Clinton carried in 2016 and Biden in 2020; so, it's not a District gerrymandered for the Republicans.

As things, currently stand the Republicans have gained at least 7 house seats, and they lead in 5 other elections that have not been called. The Dems margin in the House will be thin. Think its mistake to label all Republican voters angry racist rubes. There is a large portion of the electorate that are informed thoughtful voters, but won't vote a straight Democratic ticket because they are concerned with the direction of the party as a whole. That is obvious from the outcome of a lot of house races, when Dems either lost or won by much closer margins than forecasted, particularly in areas where Biden defeated Trump.

Last edited:
Gil Cisneros was one of the crummy candidates in a district Dems should win that managed to sneak through thanks to the 2018 wave election. Now those mistakes are come back to haunt us in 2020.

Cisneros spent $9 million of his own money to win in 2018.

Back