• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Russian Election Interference Thread

Seems he's being unfairly targetted so he's lashing out. Stop with the needless witch hunt and he probably settles down. He's not responsible for the actions of some loser Russian hacker, and nothing the hacker got had any effect. He'd still be president if there was no hacking. Move on. Or troll the leader of the free world with the mental maturity of an 8 year old with his even bigger button.

Moonz/Sailor/Reff/TinTin or any other Trump fan - what would you say/do if Barack Obama had said this during his term in office?

Trump, appearing frustrated and at times angry, has complained to confidants and aides in recent weeks that he does not understand why he cannot simply give orders to "my guys" at what he sometimes calls the "Trump Justice Department," two people familiar with the President's comments said.

bump

Seems he's being unfairly targetted so he's lashing out. Stop with the needless witch hunt and he probably settles down. He's not responsible for the actions of some loser Russian hacker, and nothing the hacker got had any effect. He'd still be president if there was no hacking. Move on. Or troll the leader of the free world with the mental maturity of an 8 year old with his even bigger button.

0/10

I get that you all think Trump is a disaster and want to find a way to get him the fuck out of our lives, and I even agree with you.... but you're batshit insane yourself if you think the reason he won the election had anything to do with twitter bots. You come off as you think it did, and I'm fairly sure that's why people like me and moonz post on the tunnels. Cause we can't believe we went to school with someone that stupid.

So we likewise don't undertstand your twitter obsession.

I think it’s nuts not to think there are many reasons for the results of a very close election. I think it’s even crazier to dismiss social media as a factor.

Outside forces wouldn't expend the kind of energy doing what they are doing if it wasn't effective.

I get that you all think Trump is a disaster and want to find a way to get him the fuck out of our lives, and I even agree with you.... but you're batshit insane yourself if you think the reason he won the election had anything to do with twitter bots. You come off as you think it did, and I'm fairly sure that's why people like me and moonz post on the tunnels. Cause we can't believe we went to school with someone that stupid.

So we likewise don't undertstand your twitter obsession.

I usually refrain from personal attacks since I believe we're all entitled to our own opinions on here, but you're a fucking idiot if your sole purpose on the Tunnels is to troll and piss off others. What a gigantic waste of time.

Last edited:
Outside forces wouldn't expend the kind of energy doing what they are doing if it wasn't effective.

This is a very good point. There is evidence that the Russians are replicating their efforts in other elections of interest around the world in similar ways. If it was ineffectual here, then why are they wasting time and effort elsewhere.

Also you clearly lack an understanding of how marketing works if you think the sum effect of those Twitter impressions above, additional Facebook impressions, Wikileaks attacks, news articles about the disinformation and other unpaid mentions (like conversations on here) did not have any impact whatsoever.

I've said all along Russian interference isn't the only reason why Trump won and his win was legitimate (everything that was going on was out in the open if you were paying attention).

I've also said that it is impossible to quantify the impact of the disinformation campaign with exact certainty but tipping the scale 50K votes in PA, 11K in MI and 19K in WI is absolutely in the realm of possibility. Especially with effective targeting and the opportunity to gain a vote by depressing a vote on the other side, persuading someone on the fence to come to your side and persuading those who normally don't vote to vote for you.

There is a reason why big brands, companies and political campaigns spend hundreds of billions of dollars each year on marketing and advertising. It fucking works.

Last edited:
The other thing I cannot get past despite my fairly skeptical nature is why did and does Trump's team keep lying about their interactions with the Russians. The FBI was conducting a non-criminal, national security, counter intelligence investigation and Trump's team kept lying, so the FBI opened a criminal investigation, because why else would they keep lying over a matter of national security?

Also you clearly lack an understanding of how marketing works if you think the sum effect of those Twitter impressions above, additional Facebook impressions, Wikileaks attacks, news articles about the disinformation and other unpaid mentions did not have any impact whatsoever.

I've said all along that it is impossible to prove or quantify the impact but tipping the scale (through a combination of depressing turnout and persuading those on the fence to switch votes) 50K in PA, 15K in MI and 15K in WI is absolutely in the realm of possibility.

Especially when you look at the pre-election polling data, and estimate the probability that all three went to Trump. 538 estimated Trump had a 0.23 probability of winning PA, and 0.21 probability of winning Michigan and a 0.165 probability of winning Wisconsin. All together that 0.21x.023x0.165 = 0.0079. Taken as independent elections, pre-election polling data indicate that there was about a 0.8% chance that Trump would win all three. Five thirty eight argues that the elections in each state are not independent, and that if MI goes blue, WI has a higher chance of going blue. I haven't seen them publish what those correlation factors are but it is hard to believe that it would take something that has a 0.8% chance of happening and turn it into something highly probable.

Also you clearly lack an understanding of how marketing works if you think the sum effect of those Twitter impressions above, additional Facebook impressions, Wikileaks attacks, news articles about the disinformation and other unpaid mentions (like conversations on here) did not have any impact whatsoever.

I've said all along Russian interference isn't the only reason why Trump won and his win was legitimate (everything that was going on was out in the open if you were paying attention).

I've also said that it is impossible to quantify the impact of the disinformation campaign with exact certainty but tipping the scale 50K votes in PA, 11K in MI and 19K in WI is absolutely in the realm of possibility. Especially with effective targeting and the opportunity to gain a vote by depressing a vote on the other side, persuading someone on the fence to come to your side and persuading those who normally don't vote to vote for you.

There is a reason why big brands, companies and political campaigns spend hundreds of billions of dollars each year on marketing and advertising. It fucking works.

Seems like the disinformation campaign from 538 making it seem like Hillary was a lock did the most damage

seems like they could save a lot of money by just calling Putin

From the Sacramento Bee:

Rep. Devin Nunes, Trump’s stooge, attacks FBI

By the Editorial Board
What, pray tell, does Rep. Devin Nunes think he’s doing by waving around a secret memo attacking the FBI, the nation’s premier law enforcement agency?

He certainly isn’t representing his Central Valley constituents or Californians, who care much more about health care, jobs and, yes, protecting Dreamers than about the latest conspiracy theory.

Instead, he’s doing dirty work for House Republican leaders trying to protect President Donald Trump in the Russia investigation.

It’s no accident that this latest attempt to discredit the FBI and distract the public is happening at the same time special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe appears to be picking up steam – and focusing on possible obstruction of justice by the president.

Reports this week say that Mueller’s team has interviewed former FBI Director James Comey – fired by Trump over the Russia probe – and Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who recused himself from the investigation. Reports also say that Mueller wants to soon interview Trump about the dismissal of Comey, as well as the firing of former national security adviser Michael Flynn, who pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI and is cooperating with investigators.

Trump said Wednesday he’s willing to talk to Mueller under oath, subject to advice from his lawyers, of course. But he also suggested he’s being accused of obstruction because he’s “fighting back” against unfair allegations of collusion between his campaign and Russia.

Nunes of Tulare is sheltered in a relatively safe Republican district, and may believe he will pay no political price for unfairly attacking law enforcement and protecting Trump. But his performance as chairman of the highly sensitive House Intelligence Committee has been nothing short of embarrassing.

Instead of taking Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election seriously and leading an impartial and bipartisan inquiry, Nunes has colluded with the White House. Last March, Nunes said he’d seen secret intelligence reports backing Trump’s claims that President Barack Obama had “wiretapped” his offices, but it turned out the documents came from the administration.

The blowback forced Nunes to step away from the Russia investigation. But he never fully recused himself and after the Republican-controlled House Ethics Committee in December cleared him of disclosing classified information, he raised his profile again.

Now, he’s being celebrated in Trumpworld with the four-page memo that accuses the FBI of political bias and misdeeds. Drafted by Nunes staffers, it apparently summarizes classified material and alleges abuse of the surveillance process by the FBI and Justice Department to target the Trump campaign. Conservative media and some Republicans in Congress are calling for it to be released publicly and using it to call for Mueller’s investigation to be shut down.

There are reasons to be very skeptical of this memo. The FBI hasn’t been sent a copy or given a chance to respond. Democrats who have seen it, including Rep. Adam Schiff of Burbank, say it’s full of inaccuracies and innuendo. And the social media campaign #ReleaseTheMemo may be promoted by Russian-linked bots, just as during the 2016 campaign.

Nunes’s office did not respond Wednesday to our questions about the memo. But the Justice Department wrote to him, warning that it would be “extraordinarily reckless” to release the memo without any review for possible risk to national security or ongoing investigations.

While the FBI has overstepped during its history (for instance the COINTELPRO operations against political dissidents during J. Edgar Hoover’s tenure), it is supremely ironic that the GOP – which long has proclaimed itself the party of law and order – is serving to undermine public trust in agents who risk their lives, combat organized crime, ferret out public corruption and protect us against terrorism.

We also can’t forget that Republicans defended the FBI when Democrats criticized Comey last year for reopening the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails just before the election.

But now we’re supposed to believe some Republicans that there’s some kind of anti-Trump “secret society” within the FBI? It’s ridiculous.

Everyone – Republicans, Democrats, advocacy groups on all sides and the media – should do our democracy a favor: Stop with the hyperventilating and let Mueller finish his investigation and get to the truth.

http://amp.fresnobee.com/opinion/editorials/article196633904.html?__twitter_impression=true

Back