• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Russian Election Interference Thread

seems fairly hypocritical for us to be bent out of shape over Russia interfering in our election when we've probably interfered in hundreds of them over the last 50 years.

Why not just let other countries bomb and invade us? After all, we've done that to other countries over the last fifty years. It would be hypocritical for us to get bent out of shape over it.

I think you are likely a little smarter than that comment.

What is really not a good look is re-starting the cold war because Hillary was so incompetent that she could not beat Donald Trump.

Please explain to me why you don't think Russia should face sanctions for trying to influence our Presidential election.

Please explain to me why you don't think Russia should face sanctions for trying to influence our Presidential election.

Sanction away if you think that is the most effective strategy. I don't necessarily have a problem with it.

We are acting like no one has ever tried to influence a foreign election before now.
We do it all the time. Obama tried to defeat Netanyahu for goodness sakes.

If you think sanctions are our most effective counter measure, then fine.

The real issue is that Hillary's corruption allowed this strategy to be effective.

seems fairly hypocritical for us to be bent out of shape over Russia interfering in our election when we've probably interfered in hundreds of them over the last 50 years.

According to the newly hawkish left, this just what we do. Turnabout is not fair play.

Sanction away if you think that is the most effective strategy. I don't necessarily have a problem with it.

We are acting like no one has ever tried to influence a foreign election before now.

The real issue is that Hillary's corruption allowed this strategy to be effective.

How is this the real issue? She lost. Nobody is talking about her or cares about her anymore.

How is this the real issue? She lost. Nobody is talking about her or cares about her anymore.

You think it makes no difference whether the interference was effective or not? As has been stated before, lots of countries, including ours, try to interfere in elections. Usually with little success.

Except of course you implied that Obama was childish for imposing sanctions.

You think it makes no difference whether the interference was effective or not? As has been stated before, lots of countries, including ours, try to interfere in elections. Usually with little success.

Can you provide any comparable examples of interference in other countries' elections by way of unlawful conduct and/or the publishing of the internal correspondence of one party/candidate?

My suspicion is that you don't really have any concrete, recent examples, but are rather speaking in generalities that suit your narrative.

Except of course you implied that Obama was childish for imposing sanctions.

I don't think it is necessarily the best reason to re-start the cold war. You have to decide what hill you are willing to die on. This is not the one I would chose to go ape shit over.

Can you provide any comparable examples of interference in other countries' elections by way of unlawful conduct and/or the publishing of the internal correspondence of one party/candidate?

My suspicion is that you don't really have any concrete, recent examples, but are rather speaking in generalities that suit your narrative.

Every situation is different, but we tried to undermine Netanyahu during his last re-election. It failed. Obama also threatened the United Kingdom over Brexit. Also failed.

May not be exactly apples to apples, but you get the idea.

So do board conservatives think the Trump administration should start an investigation to find the real hackers?

That's exactly where I am, but there's a big difference between a healthy dose of schadenfreude and Trump shilling (and you know that).

I plan to spend the next four years as one of the old bros in the balcony on the Muppets (more of a Waldorf man (. I get to laugh at everybody.

Every situation is different, but we tried to undermine Netanyahu during his last re-election. It failed. Obama also threatened the United Kingdom over Brexit. Also failed.

No I don't get the idea. That's why I asked you for specifics to support your claim. And if it's not apples to apples [whatever point you're trying to make (unsupported thus far by any evidence/facts)] then what the hell is your point?

That's exactly where I am, but there's a big difference between a healthy dose of schadenfreude and Trump shilling (and you know that).

I plan to spend the next four years as one of the old bros in the balcony on the Muppets (more of a Waldorf man (. I get to laugh at everybody.

No I don't get the idea. That's why I asked you for specifics to support your claim. And if it's not apples to apples [whatever point you're trying to make (unsupported thus far by any evidence/facts)] then what the hell is your point?

You feel fine with our government trying to undermine the election of one of our allies but it is dastardly awful when our adversary exposes corruption in one of our political parties.

I guess you are entitled to feel that way.

You feel fine with our government trying to undermine the election of one of our allies but it is dastardly awful when our adversary exposes corruption in one of our political parties.

I guess you are entitled to feel that way.

"Corruption"

Maybe it's the same, and the US has certainly had more than its share of influence in foreign elections and regime change historically, but does that make foreign countries influencing our elections acceptable? Russia overstepped (sloppily, at that) and got caught. Spin and partisanship aside, it's a big deal and one that transgressors get sanctioned for traditionally.

And, fwiw, supporting sanctions against Russia isn't hawkish (unless all sanctions, not just when a democrat president is the one using them, are hawkish). I don't see any left posters advocating military intervention as a result of this situation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Back