• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Russian Election Interference Thread

How bad is the Republican cover-up on Trump and Russia? We may soon find out.

In an interview with me, Rep. Jim Himes of Connecticut — the number two Democrat on the House intel committee — said that Democrats are seriously exploring the possibility of issuing a minority report that details the degree to which Republicans tried to impede a full investigation, should that end up happening. In this scenario, the public would at least have a clear sense of just how far Republicans went to protect Trump and his top officials from accountability.

In an important piece, The Post’s Karoun Demirjian reports that Rep. Devin Nunes, a Trump loyalist, may be wielding his influence as chairman of the intel committee to block critical lines of inquiry. Democrats have been alarmed by his tactics, especially the fact that despite his public recusal from the probe, he “never relinquished his sole, unchecked authority” to sign off on — or kill — efforts by Democrats to subpoena top Trump officials for more testimony:

People familiar with the committee’s work estimated that Nunes’s effective veto cost Democrats dozens of requests for interviews and documents that were never sent out, despite repeated entreaties from the minority side.

This includes requests for subpoenas to obtain additional testimony from key figures in the probe who Democrats say were not forthcoming enough in interviews — among them Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr. Democrats surmise they might have compelled them to return if not for Nunes’s resistance.

To be clear, this really might not happen: It’s possible Republicans will allow the inquiry to unfold, and/or that the full truth is not that damning to Trump and his associates. There might not be any cover up. Indeed, Republicans have protested that the Democratic requests for additional testimony are frivolous. But as Susan Hennessey and Benjamin Wittes point out, we can empirically evaluate whether Republicans are — or aren’t — making a good-faith effort to interview all the witnesses necessary to establish the full truth about Russian interference and possible conspiracy with it. So far, there is reason for concern that they aren’t.

And if they do not, a minority report might reveal this in full detail. (Meanwhile, the Mueller probe could reveal some of what Republicans did not want revealed.) Republicans may be able to prevent the full truth from coming out, but they cannot prevent the full truth about their own efforts to frustrate an accounting from seeing the light of day. At which point, the Democrats’ recourse will be political — to further the cause of accountability, they will need to win the House in 2018.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-card-f:homepage/story&utm_term=.28d50a03a862

Last edited:
I’m enjoying Palma’s “look at all these idiots around these people” defense. I guess it worked for OJ.

Oooooppppsss?

Trump Tower meeting with Russians 'treasonous', Bannon says in explosive book

“Even if you thought that this was not treasonous, or unpatriotic, or bad shit, and I happen to think it’s all of that, you should have called the FBI immediately.”

Bannon went on, Wolffe writes, to say that if any such meeting had to take place, it should have been set up “in a Holiday Inn in Manchester, New Hampshire, with your lawyers who meet with these people”. Any information, he said, could then be “dump[ed] … down to Breitbart or something like that, or maybe some other more legitimate publication”.

Bannon added: “You never see it, you never know it, because you don’t need to … But that’s the brain trust that they had.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news...annon-michael-wolff?__twitter_impression=true

Am I reading correctly that Bannon cited Breitbart as not a legitimate publication, or at least, not in the upper tier of legitimate publications?

sailor isn’t going to be happy about this claim from an unknown person.

Wasn't Bannon himself in charge of that White House "brain trust"?

Pussy_Riot-A_Punk_Prayer_Poster.jpg

I'm starting to feel sorry for the liberals. Its like watching the Washington Generals, eventually it becomes sad.

He came back!

lmao Had a son and free time disappeared.

Congratulations. No doubt he will enjoy the American Greatness that was missing before he was born. I assume he was conceived around Election Day?

:umkc:

Back