• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Spring Football 2014 Thread (Spring Game Saturday at 2:00)

If anyone is goign to practices, I'd love to hear more about the DE/LB hybrid role (and to a lesser extent the Rover DB/LB role, but that's a little more common). Mainly, is the role truly a hybrid (different lineups depending on situation) or is it just a sometimes hand down, sometimes standing in formation role?

My understanding is that it is a hand down/standing role. Hunter Williams is currently the starting for the "rover" position and I believe Zach Allen is currently the starter in the "drop" position.

Maybe the part about recruiting a life long Gator fan who is Percy Harvin's cousin? And a guy who looks the part of a tough guy playing d-back?

Again... which part was interesting?

Last edited:
Again... which part was interesting?

That's the first time I remember seeing an interview with a member of an incoming football class.

My understanding is that it is a hand down/standing role. Hunter Williams is currently the starting for the "rover" position and I believe Zach Allen is currently the starter in the "drop" position.

Sounds like how we used Kyle Wilber his senior year when he was most effective.

Sounds like how we used Kyle Wilber his senior year when he was most effective.

Wait I thought you hated how we used Wilber as a senior.

Sorry, I wrote that poorly. I meant it sounds like how we used Wilber during the few times he was most effective during his senior year, primarily the FSU game.

Most of his senior year, he was poorly utilized as a stand-up OLB waiting for the play or dropping back instead of as a pass rusher.

Makes sense. I thought for a second you were having a reverse John Kerry "I was for it before I was against it" moment.

Practice right through MannUp on the Quad. Good planning.

Anyone know the practice time and location for Saturday, April 12? And, if that practice is open to the public? Thanks!

Given all the MannUp stuff, I haven't kept up with this thread like I should have. If someone could give me a quick summation of how we look on both sides of the ball I would be in your e-debt.

Any word if the Spring Game will be posted on YouTube?

Thanks for the clarification above.

I'd like more info on this. Does it mean we can switch between a 3-4, 4-3, and 5-2?

I think that's a good way to put it. I know the DL/LB hybrid is called a "dropper" so in that instance he can play on the line or drop back into coverage. I'll try and better identify this LB/DB rover position and learn more about it.

unc has used this defense for the past two years. You are essentially giving up some size at these hybrid positions and replacing it with speed. Not an ideal defense for smash-mouth power running teams, but good against the spread. You bulk up a LB and play him at one DE spot, he is still capable of dropping into coverage though. And you get a big S to play one of your LB spots. It often does end up looking like a 3-4.

Your DE/LB position needs to be athletic enough so that he can drop into coverage. This allows your D to become much more unpredictable about when/where the blitz is going to come from. Also works well against up-tempo teams because you shouldn't have to sub as much based on down and distance.

Back