• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Spurs Game Thread

BqQWpbeCAAA52Hg.jpg

Jesus H. Christ. I went to Wikipedia to do a little research to see exactly how many accomplishments are captured in that photo, but I never made it past Russell's bio.

Like everyone else, I knew all about the 11 Championships, but the guy is a 5 time MVP, 12 time all-star (in 13 seasons), 4 time NBA rebounding leader, 2 time NCAA champ, NCAA Tournament MOP, 2 time College player of the year; 2 time consensus first team all american in college, and a gold medalist at the 1956 Melbourne games (where he was team captain and led the team in scoring). He's a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, FIBA Hall of Fame and College Basketball Hall of Fame. If that wasn't enough, he was the first black head coach in major US Professional Sports when he became the freaking player/coach of the Celtics in 1966-69 (winning 2 championships in those three seasons).

Jesus H. Christ. I went to Wikipedia to do a little research to see exactly how many accomplishments are captured in that photo, but I never made it past Russell's bio.

Like everyone else, I knew all about the 11 Championships, but the guy is a 5 time MVP, 12 time all-star (in 13 seasons), 4 time NBA rebounding leader, 2 time NCAA champ, NCAA Tournament MOP, 2 time College player of the year; 2 time consensus first team all american in college, and a gold medalist at the 1956 Melbourne games (where he was team captain and led the team in scoring). He's a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, FIBA Hall of Fame and College Basketball Hall of Fame. If that wasn't enough, he was the first black head coach in major US Professional Sports when he became the freaking player/coach of the Celtics in 1966-69 (winning 2 championships in those three seasons).

And wasn't even allowed to stay in the same hotel as the rest of his team. We'll never know the true depth of vile racism he experienced during his career but he accomplished all that in spite of it. He's just amazing.

And wasn't even allowed to stay in the same hotel as the rest of his team. We'll never know the true depth of vile racism he experienced during his career but he accomplished all that in spite of it. He's just amazing.

That photo is perfect for white people to convince themselves they're not racist. #goodblacks

I admit I'm having a tired morning but I don't really get this.

They are all just great dudes. There is a lot to like about all three of them. I grew up in a small town where folks tried to make a distinction between personality type when using the n-word. It's that kind of distinction: "I'm not racist, I love David Robinson!" Obviously it was a poor comment, and I apologize if anyone was offended.

Agreed. Pos rep.

Bill Russell was absolutely loved by his teammates as well, something he has in common with Duncan.

When asked where Tim Duncan ranked all time among NBA big men, Bill Russell's reply was, "At the top." Quite an endorsement.

Yeah,but wat he do in high school??

Back