• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Syracuse - Wake game thread (Foot of snow)

jaybone

Reaction score
Hope that the team flew up last night early and that there is still a game.

Snow storm hit last night (hitting now?) and expected to lose power in areas. Hate to lose this game with our current Mo

Last edited:
Cuse -3 at my book.

I like our chances if we can hit some open 3s and mix in a little actual defense every now and then.

Hope the guys remember last year's debacle.

i like our chances as well. we absolutely have to hit some 3pt shots and then drive the lane. it will be tough to get the ball inside to JC if we struggle outside. need to push in transition and not let them set up their zone. Lil Chill and Craw could be very valuable in this game with their penetration into the lane. i think we could see a long spell of Moore in the middle for rebounding and shot blocking.

i like our chances as well. we absolutely have to hit some 3pt shots and then drive the lane. it will be tough to get the ball inside to JC if we struggle outside. need to push in transition and not let them set up their zone. Lil Chill and Craw could be very valuable in this game with their penetration into the lane. i think we could see a long spell of Moore in the middle for rebounding and shot blocking.

It won't be a long spell.

what does kenpom say? it opened as a pick but 80% of the bets on the Orange have pushed it to 3.

what does kenpom say? it opened as a pick but 80% of the bets on the Orange have pushed it to 3.

We lose 79-78 and are at 50% chance to win. It's a toss-up.

It opened at a pick'em in my 3 places and went to Cuse -3 in a day.

f7434f28460549a39621edf6afdf1cbb.png

Huge opportunity to win two toss up games.

1-1 this week, and really, 3-1 over the next week and a half would go a long way in getting us squarely into the tournament and off the 11-12 lines.

KP Cuse Report:

Cuse is #59; 11-9 (3-4)

Top 100 wins: Monmouth (#86 by 21), Miami (#40 by 15), Pitt (#64 by 11);

Losses: S. Carolina (#29), Wisconsin (#10), UCONN (#116), G'Town (#72), St. John's (#111), VT (#50), UNC (#7) and ND (#18).

Cuse is rated #51 on offense and #103 on defense. They play at a slow tempo (#263), and they have been particularly effective at extending opponents offensive possession (#9 in average possession length).

On offense, Cuse shoots the 3 well (38.6% #36), and 35% of their offense comes from 3 point shots (#72). In ACC games, Cuse has shot FT's really well (79.8% #1 in the ACC in conference games; ND is #1 in the nation for all games played). Cuse has also not turned the ball over much in conference games (16.4% TO% #2 in the ACC). Cuse doesn't get to the line much #232 in FTA/FGA.

Cuse's zone defense has let them down this year (#103 overall; #14 out of 15 in ACC games). Cuse has been killed on the defense glass giving up offensive rebounds on 34% of all missed shots (#315), and they are DFL in the ACC in surrendering offensive boards in conference games. Cuse has also been susceptible to the 3 point shot in ACC play as conference opponents have shot 41% behind the arc against Cuse (and they are last in the ACC in percentage of points given up on 3 point shots in conference games -38.5%). So, Cuse has trouble defending the 3 point shot, and trouble keeping it's opponents off the glass. Cuse does block a lot of shots (#1 in shot block % in ACC play).

In ACC games, Cuse has been Jeckyll and Hyde at home versus road. Cuse is 3-0 in conference home games with each win by double digits. Cuse is 0-4 on the road in conference with each loss by double digits including a 15 point loss at BC. Cuse does have two bad home OOC losses (to G'town and St. John's).

Cuse has a short bench (#258 in bench minutes), but is big on the floor (#6 in the nation in average height). Cuse starters are: 6-0, 6-6, 6-7, 6-8 and 6-9 with 6-10 and 6-9 coming off the bench.
Cuse does have a big, Tyler Lydon (6-9 will play C and PF), that can shoot the 3 (44%). 4 of Cuse's 5 starters shoot the 3 effectively: Gillon (37%), Battle (42%), White (40%), Lydon (44%).

Cuse is coming off a beat-down at ND as Cuse's defense was almost non-existent (Cuse lost by 18: ND shot 55% from 2, 42% from 3 and 94% from the line) . Cuse plays FSU next. So, they need this game or will likely be under .500 by Saturday. Kind of a tough spot for WF. Always tough to win back to back road games, and Cuse has played its best basketball at home in ACC play. Just cannot predict consecutive WF road wins after losing 34 straight (btw, with a win, WF would win 3 straight ACC games for the first time in 7 years :tard: ), but for WF to win, the Deacs will need to defend the 3, and kill Cuse on the offensive boards. Possible, perhaps not probable.

KP projects a 79-78 Cuse win; the Vegas line as fluctuated between Cuse -3 and -2.5 as sharp action has money on the more desperate team.

Last edited:
In ACC play Cuse is basically playing 6 guys a game.

White, Battle, and Lydon are giving 35-40 minutes each game. Feel like we can exploit that a bit with our interior depth.

This feels like a good matchup, and looks like one on paper. We don't turn the ball over very much, and can rebound at a good clip. Not to mention the PnR game we can have with Dinos/Collins and Bryant to drive and kick to shooters. We just need to not get lazy on offense and work the ball a bit to get the best shot.

I like our odds in this one.

Yeah, who is going to guard the middle for Syracuse? Coleman has sucked and doesn't play much. Lydon is too small. Taurean Thompson? I don't know how Syracuse would do it with just 6 players.

A win tonight would be huge. I actually teased the line to Cuse +6 because I don't think we pull off back-to-back conference road wins for the first time since 2008-2009 (!!), but we should be able to play them close. Go Deacs!

Back