• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

It is so good

giphy.gif

What heart?

I have six movies I bought but haven't watched on my itunes. Flying to Phoenix tomorrow, what three should I watch on the flights?

The DUFF
The Hateful Eight
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow
Sicario
Straight Outta Compton

Also I love Malick but Knight of Cups is a mess. There is always more atmosphere than plot in a Malick flick but there is really no story to this one. It seems like his formula now is that he starts with a basic idea, then just shoots tons of stuff and then tries to put together a movie in the editing room. The movie follows Bale around LA but he barely says 20 words the entire movie. It just doesn't work.

I have six movies I bought but haven't watched on my itunes. Flying to Phoenix tomorrow, what three should I watch on the flights?

The DUFF
The Hateful Eight
Sicario
Straight Outta Compton

Absolutely include Wilderpeople, though personally it would come down to what my frame of mind was at the time of making a choice.

I definitely wouldn't watch Hateful Eight on a flight. The redeeming value of that movie is cinematography, which you'll better appreciate on your big screen than your iPad, or whatever you've got.

Also I love Malick but Knight of Cups is a mess. There is always more atmosphere than plot in a Malick flick but there is really no story to this one. It seems like his formula now is that he starts with a basic idea, then just shoots tons of stuff and then tries to put together a movie in the editing room. The movie follows Bale around LA but he barely says 20 words the entire movie. It just doesn't work.

Entertainment Weekly wrote a scathing review of it.

Manchester didn't do much for me. I was prepared to be depressed, prepared for a slow burn, so none of that was really a factor. I just watched 2 hours, 15 minutes, then it ended and I felt like, "OK, I guess that was good." Can't really figure out Affleck's portrayal, either. He initially comes off like he has Asperger's or something, and then you see in the flashbacks that he isn't like that so you think maybe he hit his head or something. When he was walking home from getting beer I thought this must be a part where he slips on the ice and becomes retarded. But no, it was an event that happened to others and obviously fucked with his head that seemed to turn him into this strange, awkward, long silences Asperger's dude who is a step away from becoming Carl from Sling Blade. It just didn't seem logical to me. In the end, I just found that I didn't give a shit.

Michelle Williams was underused in that movie. She has come a long way from the Dawson's Creek days.

So I read this morning that they're doing a Kong/Godzilla mash-up in 2020 (after the next standalone Godzilla movie in 2019). I don't know what I think about that.

Teased in the post-credit scene in Skull Island.

Supposedly Legendary/Warner Bros are actually using these two to make a return of the MonsterVerse/kaiju movies. They want Mothra, Ghidorah, Gamera, and Rodan and all those classics back. It will be interesting to see how that goes. Pacific Rim was a version of Kaiju movies, and it did well enough to bring on more sequels, and the Godzilla reboot was well-received too. I personally love them. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Jesus, there have been some bad takes in these last few pages. Anyway, saw Get Out a week ago and it was damn good. Theater was sold out and there was more audience participation than any film I can remember. Rod the TSA agent is the hero we need right now.

Also just watched a documentary called "Accidental Courtesy" about a black blues musician Daryl Davis who has spent his life befriending KKK members. It's a politically awkwark movie. From a personal perspective, his understanding and compassion is admirable, but his political philosophy is feckless as it relates to societal change. The most interesting part of the film is when he sits down with members of BLM in Baltimore and gets into a heated argument.

The DUFF
The Hateful Eight
Sicario
Straight Outta Compton

Straight Outta Compton is really good.

Watched Passengers tonight. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, given the reviews.

Watched Hell or High Water the other day. Decent movie with good performances from Jeff Bridges and Ben Foster, but the entire movie is a giant plot hole.

Watched Jezebel (the 1938 flick with Bette Davis and Henry Fonda), and it was p good. The end wasn't all that convincing, but worth a watch if you don't want to spend 4 hours on Gone with the Wind. I guess this was made to directly compete with GWTW, and did win Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress over GWTW.

Saw Beauty and the Beast since wife really wanted to. I mean, it's basically the animated movie plus a few other unmemorable songs. Thought Emma Watson was ok, which is about how I rate the movie overall. But Disney is obviously just going to keep cranking out live action remakes of all their films and will make billions in the process.

Probably that the brother wouldn't have just walked. They easily would have followed up on the brother and family financial connections, noticed said money owed to the bank, noticed how much money was taken equals that amount. They didn't follow up because some passing line at the end of the movie and the waitress said no.

Back