• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I have been a Big Lebowski hater for as long as I can remember. But I hadn't seen the movie in at least 10 years and was thinking that maybe I was just being stubborn. So I watched it this weekend. Still hate it. Will never try and watch it again.

Fired through a bunch of movies this weekend:

Sausage Party: exactly what you think it is... a Seth Rogen movie disguised as a cartoon. Mildly entertaining - not good, not bad.
Zootopia: went in with low expectations and was decently surprised. Really great visuals , but overall predictably formulaic. Seems like these non-Pixar Disney cartoons all follow the same path.
Allied: I kind of hated this movie. Pitt and Cottillard had zero chemistry and it seemed like Pitt OD'd on botox right before shooting began - dude couldn't emote to save his life. Too bad, because the premise was great.
Good Old Fashioned Orgy: literally never heard of this movie and randomly came across it last night. Great cast, fun concept, decent mix of humor and sentiment. Really pleasant surprise

Honorable mention goes to PCU: had it on the DVR for a while and watched it to kill time on Saturday. Some of the social commentary is even more relevant now than it was 20 years ago. Also it's fun to watch Piven pretend to be in college.

Get Out was pretty great. Peele's screenplay is really smart, the horror and comedy are both done to genre perfection, and some pretty nice visuals from a directorial standpoint. He basically killed it.

I can't imagine a directorial debut going better. 99% RT, A- audience score (often well reviewed movies audiences still hate), already sitting at $111mm domestic on a $4.5mm budget.

Not to mention he stepped out of his genre.

Kong Skull Island was better than expected. Good but not great. However, I found Samuel L. Jackson's role pretty bland. Way too much of him just regurgitating his past roles rather than anything new. Felt like the worst developed character in the movie. The underling soldiers were all developed relatively well though. The "hold onto your butts" line was great though. Special effects were top notch. Typical action movie of this era.

Last edited:
So I read this morning that they're doing a Kong/Godzilla mash-up in 2020 (after the next standalone Godzilla movie in 2019). I don't know what I think about that.

seems people are either coen brother's fans or not coen brother's fans. i think the movie is good, just not GOAT level

yeah. I love the Coen bros, but O Brother is that movie for me. Don't know why, but I hate it every time I watch it

Dr. Strange was boring. Just more marvel shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah. I love the Coen bros, but O Brother is that movie for me. Don't know why, but I hate it every time I watch it

I love o brother. That, Miller's Crossing and Fargo are all great. For me, Coen bros are on a bell curve. A few of their movies I really like, a few I really fucking loathe and most are somewhere in the middle. They have been pretty prolific so that's bound to happen.

I didn't like O Brother, either, but I only watched it the one time in the theater, I think. I don't think I like Clooney in Coen Bros. generally, trying to remember one where I thought it was a good fit. Maybe I'm blanking.

Miller's Crossing might be my favorite movie of all time, though.

I didn't like O Brother, either, but I only watched it the one time in the theater, I think. I don't think I like Clooney in Coen Bros. generally, trying to remember one where I thought it was a good fit. Maybe I'm blanking.

I really liked him in Burn After Reading.

Miller's Crossing might be my favorite movie of all time, though.

It is so good

giphy.gif

Moonlight just ok C+ I guess. Some good direction, and good performances, but really just another super liberal victim narrative at its core. The idea that a good looking, ripped black drug dealing adult living in ATL wouldnt act on homosexuality is nonsense. There are entire black gay clubs in ATL that are filled with ppl that look just like that dude.

Moonlight just ok C+ I guess. Some good direction, and good performances, but really just another super liberal victim narrative at its core. The idea that a good looking, ripped black drug dealing adult living in ATL wouldnt act on homosexuality is nonsense. There are entire black gay clubs in ATL that are filled with ppl that look just like that dude.

go on

Back