• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Arrival and Moonlight. Both ok.

I like Arrivals nod to the Simpsons by having the aliens look like the aliens from the Simpsons. P cool, arrival director fella is Yuge Simpsons fan

I watched Moonlight last night too. The first two acts were great, riveting even. Act III was super boring and Chiron's physical transformation was a little far fetched, even if you consider where he had been. Just because you didn't like La La Land doesn't mean this movie is great. Mehershala Ali was terrific though and as gay handjob movies go, this one is probably the best.

LOL. Beautifully directed and well acted, but not much going on other than that. The bromance at the center of the film felt a bit forced and tangential. Ali was great, but had too little screen time and by the end you feel like all of his time was kind of pointless. Fatherless kid finds father figure and is still lost. Feels like it got Best Picture to appease the gay crowd over Brokeback Mountain and the black crowd over, well, any number of things. Two birds with one stone. That having been said, I haven't seen most of the nominees this year and it's not like Mel Gibson had a chance. Maybe it was just a weak year overall.

LOL. Beautifully directed and well acted, but not much going on other than that. The bromance at the center of the film felt a bit forced and tangential. Ali was great, but had too little screen time and by the end you feel like all of his time was kind of pointless. Fatherless kid finds father figure and is still lost. Feels like it got Best Picture to appease the gay crowd over Brokeback Mountain and the black crowd over, well, any number of things. Two birds with one stone. That having been said, I haven't seen most of the nominees this year and it's not like Mel Gibson had a chance. Maybe it was just a weak year overall.

Fucking A, man. Just a black gay movie from the Hollywood libtards. I don't even need to see that movie to know it sucks.

I saw Lion over the weekend. It was good but not as good or as uplifting as it was marketed. It was a solid 8 out of 10, but not as good as either Hidden Figures or A United Kingdom.

Saw Arrival....good but would have liked a more acceptable reason for the "arrival" and communication.

Watched Split....pretty good...hate that they just showed 4-5 of the 23 identities, and the twist at the end was just dumb. But overall a decent Shyamalan movie...interested to see where he takes that potential trilogy.

Caught Get Out last weekend. Horror isn't my thing, but the wife loves it. With all the buzz around it, and my affinity for Jordan Peele in general, I didn't mind going with her. That said, I thought it was supremely well done. Solid pacing, nice influx of comedy, not overdone with the SHOCK moments, and a great cast. Always happy to see Bradley Whitford get work.

Saw Arrival....good but would have liked a more acceptable reason for the "arrival" and communication.

Watched Split....pretty good...hate that they just showed 4-5 of the 23 identities, and the twist at the end was just dumb. But overall a decent Shyamalan movie...interested to see where he takes that potential trilogy.
I thought the twist was good but in general the two things I bolded have been correlated recently so I expected to have your opinion going in.

I really liked Moonlight but it did benefit from a weak crowd. Moonlight and Manchester were the far ahead as the two best movies of the year.

Get Out was very good. Enjoyed it a lot. A comedian making his director debut did a better job than 90% of established horror/thriller directors.

Logan dragged in parts but had good violence and lil Logan was awesome

I thought it was pretty awesome all around. I'm glad R-rated Deadpool convinced them to go R for Logan, it wouldn't have been nearly as good at PG-13.

I really liked Moonlight but it did benefit from a weak crowd. Moonlight and Manchester were the far ahead as the two best movies of the year.

I have now seen Arrival, Hacksaw, Moonlight, and Hell Or High Water and would put the last 3 above Arrival. I personally liked Hell Or High Water the best of all of them, but nothing is really clear cut above and beyond. Still need to see Manchester. Hell Or High Water reminded me a bit of No Country For Old Men. Not quite as good, but it actually felt more authentic.

I saw some movie done about the same time as those two that was supposed to be even more "real" and it was terrible. Shit, what was that movie? I may need to revisit, maybe I was too young.

ETA - I think it was Straight out of Brooklyn, but I need to do more digging.

Last edited:
Back