• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I don't know man. All the articles I see say "International" and the US is technically within that term, but for movies, you see a breakdown of international and domestic.

So don't not see it based on my suggestion without doing some more research, I don't want anyone to be mad at me about missing it.

"International" usually means outside the US. Looks like Paramount is the distribution company in the US, Canada, and China, but Netflix has distribution rights elsewhere.

I've found additional confirmation of no US release in March.

So I'm changing my official recommendation to "sure, go see it in a theater" if you like high minded sci-fi.

I've found additional confirmation of no US release in March.

So I'm changing my official recommendation to "sure, go see it in a theater" if you like high minded sci-fi.

How is it compared to Arrival (which was my favorite move last year)?

Haven't seen the movie, Annihilation, but the book is really good. It's also only about 200 pages, so I highly recommend it or the audiobook if you have 6 hours (the length of the audiobook) this weekend. While I kind of wish it was longer, it still manages to introduce some great themes that will make you think.

Haven't seen the movie, Annihilation, but the book is really good. It's also only about 200 pages, so I highly recommend it or the audiobook if you have 6 hours this weekend.

Don’t read the entire trilogy, just first one. The final two ruin what what the first one had going

How is it compared to Arrival (which was my favorite move last year)?

Annihilation has more action and terror. They're comparable in that the end makes you go "da fuq did I just see?" They're also similar in that Annihilation has an actress that at one point made me think "Is that Amy Adams? Doesn't look identical to her but is that her with makeup or something?" Spoiler - it's not.

it's also causing a lot of alt-right angst, which gives any movie a bonus point to me.

Annihilation has more action and terror. They're comparable in that the end makes you go "da fuq did I just see?" They're also similar in that Annihilation has an actress that at one point made me think "Is that Amy Adams? Doesn't look identical to her but is that her with makeup or something?" Spoiler - it's not.

it's also causing a lot of alt-right angst, which gives any movie a bonus point to me.

Any boobs ?

Sadly, no boobs in Annihilation.

I will, however, begin an earnest search to see if I can find some elsewhere on the Internet.

I haven't seen "Sphere" (based on the Michael Crichton novel) in a while, but if I remember correctly, the tone of "Annihilation" is more along those lines than that of "Arrival", in my opinion.

"International" usually means outside the US. Looks like Paramount is the distribution company in the US, Canada, and China, but Netflix has distribution rights elsewhere.

Here is a quote from a review on IMDB:
"It's gotten nearly unanimous positive reviews from critics, but it also performed really poorly at a test screening (which prompted a Netflix release overseas, instead of a theatrical one). "

Here is a quote from a review on IMDB:
"It's gotten nearly unanimous positive reviews from critics, but it also performed really poorly at a test screening (which prompted a Netflix release overseas, instead of a theatrical one). "

I agree with this review:

"To say Annihilation won’t be for everyone is an oversimplification. A LOT of people will not like this movie. It defies explanation and is f*ckin’ weird to boot. But sci-fi nerds—and probably horror nerds, too—will find a lot to like, maybe even love. "

It's a challenging movie, but it's narrative is pretty straight forward all considering. I think the audience demanding "hows" and "whys" are mostly rubes who need their hands held.

Last edited:
Back