• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

which was the historic societal sin that precipitated everything in the movie.

Yep. That’s what made it a brilliant social critique. Wakanda is an African utopia that also stands as an analog for North Korea and also as the conservative vision of the US.

Annihilation was aight. Book was better. I need to watch some Tarkovsky, so I'm going to try to get to Solaris and Stalker soon, since both seemed to influence book and film.

I agree with this conclusion. The movie lacks the tension created in the book. I did like how it dealt with the theme of self-immolation in a different way. To me the book was in some ways about the process of writing and its process of self destruction, or moreover have language can have a severely destabilizing power. In this regard, the movie’s take on this theme in relation to each of the characters is interesting, but overall the book was more compelling and engaging to me. However, the aesthetic of the film was magnificent.

You should see the other films, they are, IMHO, better executed.

Just curious, which version of Solaris are you referring to, Clooney or old school?

I need to get my hands on Stalker. I'd never heard of it before but it kept coming up in Annihilation reviews and discussions.

Just curious, which version of Solaris are you referring to, Clooney or old school?

I need to get my hands on Stalker. I'd never heard of it before but it kept coming up in Annihilation reviews and discussions.

They are talking about Tarkovsky.

Tarkovsky version

'Red Sparrow' was excellent, I thought.

Some of the sexualization of it seemed forced, uncomfortable...but, that was a pretty central plot point.

Thought it was a solid B+/A- with sort of a B performance by Jennifer Lawrence.

'Edith and Eddie'; part of the Oscar nominated short film documentary showing... Was absolutely incredible. Most powerful 28 minutes I've seen in a long time.
It is, or at least was, showing at A/ this week.

Sitting at 'Death Wish' now. Not expecting much.

Btw, 'Annihilation' was a good/semi-normal flick for the first hour and a half. The last 30 minutes felt like an acid trip.

Btw, 'Annihilation' was a good/semi-normal flick for the first hour and a half. The last 30 minutes felt like an acid trip.

It was really weird being in a theater and when the credits rolled, literally nobody said a word. Everyone just stood up and walked out. Even all the way to the bathroom, I didn't hear a word. No "whoa, that movie was weird" or "so, what did you think?" Just dead silence. It was kind of surreal.

'Death Wish' is now in last place of the ~25 movies I've seen in '18.

I had low expectations going in, & I usually enjoy a Bruce Willis-flick but my god...

The NRA and the KKK may have co-financed this piece of shit.

Eta: i typically purposefully avoid rating sites, but I had to peek at Rotten Tomatoes to gauge reaction. 13% and falling. Woof.

Last edited:
Lady Bird was good but since I'm not a girl and don't have a sister some of the impact was probably lessened on me. The way it was put together felt a little bit like a dramatic version of Napoleon Dynamite.

Lady Bird was good but since I'm not a girl and don't have a sister some of the impact was probably lessened on me. The way it was put together felt a little bit like a dramatic version of Napoleon Dynamite.

I felt really weird seeing this movie. Maybe it was somewhat involved with the atmosphere (we were in the petite room at A/), but everything just felt so 'real'. There were no real cheery story lines, and characters like her mom & dad really hit home. It was so anti-hollywood.

I think it's absolutely deserving of the academy award. The acting, especially from the younger cast, was just outstanding IMO.

I agree with this conclusion. The movie lacks the tension created in the book. I did like how it dealt with the theme of self-immolation in a different way. To me the book was in some ways about the process of writing and its process of self destruction, or moreover have language can have a severely destabilizing power. In this regard, the movie’s take on this theme in relation to each of the characters is interesting, but overall the book was more compelling and engaging to me. However, the aesthetic of the film was magnificent.

You should see the other films, they are, IMHO, better executed.

Good point. I had spaced on the language aspect, but one of my favorite parts of the book was the really haunting words the organism, or whatever, was relaying/writing/... in the tower when they first engage with it. I had been worried how they were going to represent that visually, but they ended up cutting that part out -- so one of my disappointments was that this director is SO capable of getting those visual right, I was hoping to see that, and he went another way. It's cool though. Anyway, good post.

Good point. I had spaced on the language aspect, but one of my favorite parts of the book was the really haunting words the organism, or whatever, was relaying/writing/... in the tower when they first engage with it. I had been worried how they were going to represent that visually, but they ended up cutting that part out -- so one of my disappointments was that this director is SO capable of getting those visual right, I was hoping to see that, and he went another way. It's cool though. Anyway, good post.

And all the journals and notebooks and shit in the lighthouse, too.

Sorry to quote my own post, the edit function is totally FUCKED mannnnnn...

Has anybody seen 'Nostalgia'? The cast looks fantastic, but I haven't heard much of anything about it.

Looks like it's on one of A/'s main screens all weekend.

They also scrapped the hypnosis that created a lot of tension in the book since you never knew if the people were acting on their own free will or under the orders of the psychiatrist. I thought that's where they were going when they first got to the Shimmer and they all mention how they can't remember how they got there, then the camera cuts to the psychiatrist.

Saw Annihilation last night. I don’t know WTF I just watched. I didn’t hate it, but I’m not sure I liked it either. It just seemed like it was trying to be weird for the sake of it, with a little shock horror thrown in for no reason.

Back