• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

42% on Rotten Tomatoes. Not great, Bob.

Read the books when I was a kid, but I don't remember anything except that I liked them.

The trailer of Gringo made it look like a crazy caper picture. WRONG!

I wonder if Charlieze read the script before she cashed her check. I can't imagine how many pictures of the studio having sex with barnyard and other animals it took get this a green light.

In case you haven't gotten the drift. this movie sucked. It may have been the worst movie I've seen this millennia.

We just watched Three Billboards last night and loved it! Sad story, but had funny moments and just seemed very "real". Acting was excellent esp. Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell, and Woody Harrelson. I can see why they won.

Apart from the acting, I can't disagree more. Nothing about that movie felt real to me at all. Even chalking it up to Hollywood dramatic license, very little of the dialogue felt authentic to me, apart from Woody. McDormand was good as usual, but not her best role. Definitely doesn't beat Olive Kitteridge, which IMDB now reminds me was a miniseries and not a standalone movie. I thought her lines really felt forced though. Poorly written dialogue. I enjoyed Rockwell, but he was an oaf and again a caricature. Nothing real about him at all.

Also watched Darkest Hour and Lady Bird. Darkest Hour was an Oldman show, as most of his movies are. He was great and deserving of the Oscar, but honestly I'd have a hard time choosing between him and Lithgow when it comes to Churchill portrayals of the last few years.

Really enjoyed Lady Bird. It felt much more authentic than Three Billboards for sure. Came off like a John Hughes movie, and that's not a bad thing. The acting was excellent all around.

Maybe my expectations were low for Three Billboards (4.5 out of 5 stars) and it overshot my assumptions... I thought it was much more captivating than Lady Bird. LB was decent (3/5) - my wife liked it a lot more than me - but I thought it was slow missed out on the humor of John Hughes film. The acting was very good, but just didn't live up to the hype for me.

We just saw I, Tonya (4/5) and that was enjoyable. Margot Robbie and Allison Janney were great in it and it was an intriguing story that I was surprised I knew so little about (forgot). Her life was messed up and the Mom was a psycho! Also, liked seeing how the American Skating Federation was against her success. "In Rolling Stone, Peter Travers wrote that the film holds "a mirror up to the class-conscious America most of us tend to ignore or dismiss – and makes us see ourselves reflected in it, too."

Apart from the acting, I can't disagree more. Nothing about that movie felt real to me at all. Even chalking it up to Hollywood dramatic license, very little of the dialogue felt authentic to me, apart from Woody. McDormand was good as usual, but not her best role. Definitely doesn't beat Olive Kitteridge, which IMDB now reminds me was a miniseries and not a standalone movie. I thought her lines really felt forced though. Poorly written dialogue. I enjoyed Rockwell, but he was an oaf and again a caricature. Nothing real about him at all.

Also watched Darkest Hour and Lady Bird. Darkest Hour was an Oldman show, as most of his movies are. He was great and deserving of the Oscar, but honestly I'd have a hard time choosing between him and Lithgow when it comes to Churchill portrayals of the last few years.

Really enjoyed Lady Bird. It felt much more authentic than Three Billboards for sure. Came off like a John Hughes movie, and that's not a bad thing. The acting was excellent all around.

This is exactly how I felt about Three Billboards and Lady Bird.

I havent' seen it yet, but I assumed Three Billboards was more of a stage-play type film

Darkest Hour was disappointing. Oldman was good but would go from angry drunk to Droopy the Dog to suddenly perfect orator....none of his accents or speaking styles sounded like the many available Churchill recordings. Also, the movie itself became a tiresome (and historically inaccurate) study in British politics. Wait until Netflix.

Watched Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai last night. It was pretty chill and cool. Detached. Sparse. Quiet. Dark.

DXi6kEOX0AAaGOS.jpg

Last edited:
Logan Lucky was OK. I enjoyed it more than my wife did. But I was kind of in the mood for something mindless.

Free on Amazon Prime Video.

Three Billboards started great, but dragged toward the end. Really enjoyed it for the most part, though.

Recently took another business trip to china so watched a bunch of movies...(note: I am an easy grader because I enjoy movies and don't see them often, outside these flights)...
3 Billboards was great - really enjoyed the acting and it felt pretty real to me.
Shape of Water was weird - the story was simply strange. It was pretty well-done and had an authentic '50s feel to it, at least to me.
American Sniper - finally got around to seeing it and thought it was great.
Blade Runner 2049 - Loved the original and I thought this was a pretty good sequel.
Grand Budapest Hotel - another one I finally got around to seeing. I enjoyed it but it wasn't very memorable to me.
Logan Lucky - Very funny.

finally saw 3 billboards. it was great! ending was independent style but great movie and cast.

Saw Icarus last night. Good acting but kind of far fetched.

Two docs:

What Happened, Miss Simone - boring in style, interesting in spite of that due to compelling story

Icarus: filmmaker inserted himself into the story too much and it could have been 30 minutes shorter, but also worth watching due to the story

Back