• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Going to see Uncle Drew tonight. Can’t wait.

You don’t stop playing ball because you got old. You get old because you stop playing ball.

Sweet, thanks. My family's long been into heist films. Book heist is my personal and professional wheelhouse. I'd definitely have applied for that FBI art recovery squad if I hadn't long disqualified myself.

Slight bit of exaggeration to say that an Audubon is the "most valuable book in the United States." Though "Rarest Books" lists are usually pretty silly, especially since most of them don't discriminate between printed books (which are by definition mechanically reproduced and reproducible) and manuscript books (which are by definition always imperfect copies or absolutely unique). I can think of half a dozen more valuable (and hundreds of "rarer") books that I've held in my hands in the last two or three years.

If you've seen the Pepsi ads and you've seen the movie trailer, you're going to get exactly what you expect from Uncle Drew. It's a by the numbers sports misfits story, a la Mighty Ducks, Major League, The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh, etc etc. Unlike Space Jam (Jordan excepted), this puts the camera on the NBA alums (and Irving) for most of the movie. Some of them, CWebb in particular, aren't so bad. I thought Aaron Gordon had good presence in a limited role, he could be the new Rick Fox.

My main question going in was how blatant was the Pepsi product placement going to be. It wasn't as over the top as I feared it could be, like everyone chugging an ice cold Pepsi at halftime of the big game to provide super refreshment with everyone shouting "Catch that Pepsi spirit!" They elected instead, to just make sure you never went more than say, 5 minutes without seeing a Pepsi logo in the background.

Anyway, I'm not going to crap on it, it's fun. The kids all seemed to like it, whooping and hollering, as they do.

In this movie about geriatric men playing against 20 somethings in a big-time tournament, only one thing bothered me as particularly implausible - Kyrie made it to the end of the movie uninjured. BOOM Kyrie! Roasted!

Last edited:
Sweet, thanks. My family's long been into heist films. Book heist is my personal and professional wheelhouse. I'd definitely have applied for that FBI art recovery squad if I hadn't long disqualified myself.

Slight bit of exaggeration to say that an Audubon is the "most valuable book in the United States." Though "Rarest Books" lists are usually pretty silly, especially since most of them don't discriminate between printed books (which are by definition mechanically reproduced and reproducible) and manuscript books (which are by definition always imperfect copies or absolutely unique). I can think of half a dozen more valuable (and hundreds of "rarer") books that I've held in my hands in the last two or three years.

I came across a book a couple of weeks ago Meetings with Remarkable Manuscripts by De Hamel, and was like, I wonder if wakephan the poster on the Wake Forest sports message boards knows about this book? I also thought of this movie and made a note to check this book out again a little later once I've pared down my backlog -- I recently had to return Thieves of Book Row (it's a theme) because it had been recalled and I'm just not reading fast enough and my attention span is toast. Anyway, yesterday I noticed a trace had been filled out recently and it was for the De Hamel. Shit's already probably been stolen. It wasn't a large book, but was on good stock (heavy) and had lots of colored plates and facsimiles in it, so probably over 100 bucks anyway. Maybe we have our own book ring here! I'm going to investigate.

I couldn't get a price on our Audubon, though the one we have was bought at an auction -- Providence Athenaeum or something like that, was getting rid of some shit. It's probably worth a few k.

I came across a book a couple of weeks ago Meetings with Remarkable Manuscripts by De Hamel, and was like, I wonder if wakephan the poster on the Wake Forest sports message boards knows about this book? I also thought of this movie and made a note to check this book out again a little later once I've pared down my backlog -- I recently had to return Thieves of Book Row (it's a theme) because it had been recalled and I'm just not reading fast enough and my attention span is toast. Anyway, yesterday I noticed a trace had been filled out recently and it was for the De Hamel. Shit's already probably been stolen. It wasn't a large book, but was on good stock (heavy) and had lots of colored plates and facsimiles in it, so probably over 100 bucks anyway. Maybe we have our own book ring here! I'm going to investigate.

I couldn't get a price on our Audubon, though the one we have was bought at an auction -- Providence Athenaeum or something like that, was getting rid of some shit. It's probably worth a few k.

Wow, nevermind. Try 5 Million.

https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/providence-athenaeum-audubon-sells-for-5-million/

The De Hamel Manuscripts is only about 40 bucks.

Last edited:
Saw Tag this past weekend with the in-laws while we were at the beach. It was nice to sit in an air-conditioned theater for two hours. Best I can say about it...

Wife wanted to watch A Wrinkle In Time - I fell asleep about 20 minutes in, and even she wanted to bail on it because it was so boring, so we cut it off about 45 minutes in

Yeah. Didn't realize it was coming out this weekend. Nice.

Excellent!

Awesome -- taking my reply to the chat thread for those film buffs that aren't interested.

I saw Uncle Drew last night. It was better than I thought it would be. Kyrie is not a bad actor. Knowing basketball helps the viewer catch a few inside jokes. It's worth seeing.

I saw Uncle Drew last night. It was better than I thought it would be. Kyrie is not a bad actor. Knowing basketball helps the viewer catch a few inside jokes. It's worth seeing.

So what you’re saying is that you missed all the inside jokes?

Saw the Mr. Rogers doc. Boring like his show was, but had its moments. Wait for it to pop up on Netflix.

Back