• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Coming from the guy who thinks Chinese food is kung pao chicken, fried egg rolls, crab rangoon and shrimp fried rice

Bro, if you think "Bao" was about Chinese food, you're the idiot we all think you are.

moonz, I really feel sorry for you. I don’t know what turned you from an unfunny but harmless idiot into a conspiracy theorist who can’t seem to understand the most basic things about life and the arts. I hope you’re getting help.

Maybe you should call the director and inform her she doesn’t know what her short film is about

https://www.bttoronto.ca/videos/bao-pixars-new-short-film/

She specifically said, "Dumplings are symbol for the Chinese family."

https://deadline.com/2018/04/pixar-...iman-cobb-tribeca-video-interview-1202371255/

Here's another interview:

“Bao is loosely inspired by my own life growing up as an only child to my two Chinese parents, that feeling of being their precious little dumpling that they wanted to protect and keep safe,” Shi told Deadline yesterday in Tribeca, sitting down with her producer. “I wanted to just capture that relationship between this parent and child, and explore this story about this mom that learns to let go of her baby.”

The director rooted this film in the idea the dumpling as both a cultural symbol for family and term of endearment that a parent uses for a child. It's completely obvious to anybody with a heart and a head. I shouldn't have to quote her to make it clear to you.

Get help, moonz.

Poor ph. No greys in his world. Sees everything in black and white.

Here’s a suggestion. I’m sure that university has a “cry closet” on every corner.

Find an empty one (if that’s even possible) and settle down with a plate of Bao (can you find any decent ones in that one horse town?), your favorite teddy and #1 Dad sleeveless T and just let it all out. Soak that careworn bear with your salty tears. Hug that stuffie real tight and reassure yourself that only the wise phd truly understands “Bao” and Chinese culture.
Feel better?

Was looking for comedies, watched Ibiza and Set It Up on Netflix. Both were entertaining, nothing special, but some decently funny parts that made me not be mad that I spent 3+ hours watching them.

Jurassic World 2 is more of a monster movie than the others had been. I still enjoyed it - some decently emotional moments, great callbacks to the original, and some nice comeuppance for all the bad guys. Should be interesting to see what they do with #3.

Also watched The Disaster Artist over the weekend. Or I should say, I watched the first 10 minutes and then zoned out. What a fucking dumpster fire of a movie. Even half-listening to it in the background as I dicked around on my phone was still mind-numbing.

I went and saw Jaws yesterday. It was great. There were a couple of things I had to quibble about since that is how I am wired lately (the score, apart from the theme, doesn't really hold up all that well for me in parts -- too cutesy; couple of continuity things), but holy shit, Scheider, Dreyfuss, and Shaw are amazing.

I went and saw Jaws yesterday. It was great. There were a couple of things I had to quibble about since that is how I am wired lately (the score, apart from the theme, doesn't really hold up all that well for me in parts -- too cutesy; couple of continuity things), but holy shit, Scheider, Dreyfuss, and Shaw are amazing.

Anytime you go back and watch a flick with Roy Scheider, it's hard not to walk away thinking that dude was kind of a badass and wondering what happened to his career after like 1984.

Anytime you go back and watch a flick with Roy Scheider, it's hard not to walk away thinking that dude was kind of a badass and wondering what happened to his career after like 1984.

Maybe All That Jazz burned him out and he tried to keep it together for a few years (I've heard some people like 2010? Never seen it.) but couldn't recover. All That Jazz is pretty crazy. I would be worn out after trying to turn myself into a Bob Fosse character. Not too many roles can match that. But he is a total badass. He probably still has it, too, people just don't have the BALLS to cast him.

I saw 2010 a long time ago, and I remember Scheider being a badass in that too, although the guy just kind of LOOKS like an astronaut, you know?

They showed a preview of that yesterday, and it looks terrible. Just a noisy, brainless assault on the senses. Watching Jaws was refreshing after the 30 minutes of noise and visual pollution of the trailers. Although I kind of have a soft spot for the Mission: Impossible movies, so I'm in on that one.

Back