• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Mad Max was a steaming pile of shit.

tenor.gif

I didn't really dig Fury Road, either. Could have been my mood, or that I had just watched the first two for the first time, which I felt were far superior. :noidea:

Yeah I'm on the overrated train for Fury Road. Not bad, but not this mind-blowing revelation either.

Yeah I'm on the overrated train for Fury Road. Not bad, but not this mind-blowing revelation either.

I enjoyed it, but yeah I don't think it's a pantheon-level film, and certainly not Best Picture-worthy. Same way I felt about Black Panther, which seemed like a standard Marvel movie.

OK -- you 4 are added to the list of people whose opinions on movies I ignore. I'm most disappointed in you, Chupe. I expected it from the others, but not you.

Saw the Favourite over the weekend. Probably my fav 2018 Oscar nom movie I saw. Not saying much though, I thought 2018 was pretty meh. Thinking back I think Spiderverse was probably my fav.

Has anyone seen Shoplifters? Worth it?

Saw the Favourite over the weekend. Probably my fav 2018 Oscar nom movie I saw. Not saying much though, I thought 2018 was pretty meh. Thinking back I think Spiderverse was probably my fav.

Has anyone seen Shoplifters? Worth it?

I've seen the series on Redtube, but I'm guessing that's not what you meant.

This, it won the Palme d'Or at Cannes in 2018 and was nominated for best foreign film Oscar but lost to Roma.

It’s really good. Would definitely recommend checking it out.

First Reformed is still the best of 2018, though.

I'm on the "Mad Max is incredible" train. I've said it before but the only thing that bothers me a little is Tom Hardy's acting. Stone cold classic though.

Potential hot take here - the Mad Max series is the greatest action franchise ever.

My supporting arguments:

4 movies gives it enough longevity
None of the 4 are duds. My official ratings:
Mad Max - amazing
Road Warrior - amazing
Beyond Thunderdome - weakest in the series, by far, but still very good
Fury Road - back to amazing

Other contenders for this have too much variability - Fast and Furious, Die Hard, Mission Impossible, Bourne, Bond, Indy. Now that I think about it, I'd put Mad Max against any franchise where n>=3. Toy Story maybe. We'll see how John Wick 3 goes but if it's great that will be in the mix.

not sure how narrowly we're defining action in this case (b/c it's got some sci fi elements in there) but Die Hard, Bond and the MCU are better b/c they have more movies and BT is pretty close to a dud

Back