• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I mean I would say the 3 Matrix films are better. Fury Road is the only Mad Max is the only film of that bunch that did anything for me.

After the success of Fury Road, they replayed a lot of the previous ones on premium cable. Could not make it through more than about 20 minutes of any of them. Production values are super low.

not sure how narrowly we're defining action in this case (b/c it's got some sci fi elements in there) but Die Hard, Bond and the MCU are better b/c they have more movies and BT is pretty close to a dud

Die Hard and Bond have too many duds. MCU -- ok. Mission Impossible -- maybe. Only semi-weak film is 2 and that has a kitschy-hilarious John Woo element that makes it completely rewatchable. I'd throw Harry Potter in the mix as well unless that is considered fantasy or kids. We'll see with Wick. No on Matrix: 1 is great, 2 is pretty good, and 3 is just terrible. Also, can't sleep on the newr Planet of the Apes trilogy.

I have a soft spot for Beyond Thunderdome because its one of the movies I watched over and very again when I was in my early teens and I loved it then.

Mission Impossible? Planet of the Apes? HARRY POTTER? Grief.

I'd rather watch the Rambo movies again than those.

And now Ive added you to the list.

Kids are way into Harry Potter so I have rewatched them all and, aside from the 1st two, which are just ok, they are all really, really well done. 3 especially.

Last edited:
M:I is probably the best answer, to be honest. 2 is weak, fine, but literally every other movie in that franchise is top tier action.

I watched You Were Never Really Here the other night because of this thread. I want my 96 minutes back. Was there some Deception shit I missed or was that just an average storyline with a terrible overacting Joaquin Phoenix?

Just watched “the Dawn Wall” and am renting “Free Solo” tonight. If you liked “Meru” then you’ll love the Dawn Wall. I already know I’m going to love Free Solo.

The second half of The Dawn Wall was great, but something about the kidnapping and dissolution of his relationship didn't do it for me. I felt similarly about Free Solo. These people are insane. They are not driven by life events, relationships, emotion, etc. the way that normal people are, so trying to rationalize their achievements within typical biographical documentary tropes just doesn't work for me. Meru, at the very least, did a great job of making sense of the ultimate ascent in the context of each climber's biography.

Last edited:
The second half of The Dawn Wall was great, but something about the kidnapping and dissolution of his relationship didn't do it for me. I felt similarly about Free Solo. These people are insane. They are not driven by life events, relationships, emotion, etc. the way that normal people are trying to rationalize their achievements within typical biographical documentary tropes just doesn't work for me. Meru, at the very least, did a great job of making sense of the ultimate ascent in the context of each climber's biography.

These docs just nick my basest fear. Horror flicks don’t do it for me, I’m scared shitless of heights. So I get my fear jollies from joints like these. I also find the cinematography breathtaking. I also don’t pay attention to the climbing scene whatsoever unless I watch docs like these, so there’s also the added tension and drama of not knowing if they make it or not.

Free Solo was entertaining in that the achievement is amazing and it is a good look into how weird/unique of a person you have to be in order to accomplish that feat.

Thought Fury Road was great. Also liked Black Panther, but not nearly as much... Agree with the take that it was a standard Marvel comic book movie and nothing amazing.

Watched Tag on a flight back from NY yesterday... Exactly what you'd expect. Pretty dumb. Had a few laughs and good lines, but you had to sit through a lot of groaners, as well.

And now Ive added you to the list.

Kids are way into Harry Potter so I have rewatched them all and, aside from the 1st two, which are just ok, they are all really, really well done. 3 especially.

Lolz. Kids are way into the Toy Story series too, and it is really well done, but its not an action series just like Potter is not. P hard to sell the take as American Adult male that you really ride for Harry Potter.

The real answer is probably Bourne.

Lolz. Kids are way into the Toy Story series too, and it is really well done, but its not an action series just like Potter is not. P hard to sell the take as American Adult male that you really ride for Harry Potter.

The real answer is probably Bourne.

I ride for HP, bitch. No harder to ride for HP as an adult than riding for the MCU or any other comic book movie. The last three or four movies in the HP series are dark as hell.

I've decided the real answer is the MI series.

Back