• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

About to watch Gorky Park based solely on the fact it has William Hurt, Lee Marvin, and Brian Dennehy and it's spy shit. Seems like enough of a reason. Anyone seen it?

Bailed on Gorky Park, but went to an old fave The Long Goodbye with ELITE Elliott Gould. It was a good call. What a movie.

As an aside, both Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion and The Long Good Friday were good times. Dark and crime-y, cynical. Also both with the odd laugh thrown in. Good stuff.

Bailed on Gorky Park, but went to an old fave The Long Goodbye with ELITE Elliott Gould. It was a good call. What a movie.

As an aside, both Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion and The Long Good Friday were good times. Dark and crime-y, cynical. Also both with the odd laugh thrown in. Good stuff.

Great flick, kinda the GOAT of its kind until Inherent Vice and Under the Silver Lake, imo. You into those? Long Goodbye may still be the GOAT of its kind, but it’s got some competition.

Also, Chupe - you ever watch John From Cincinnati? Weird, occasionally wonderful, definitely unique little show from the guy who did Deadwood. If not, then I think you would dig.

you're not going to tell us what you thought or provide a link??

Sorry, I had already posted the link a few times and I just didn't want to spam the board with links to another site
Here is the link to my profile: https://letterboxd.com/whitet86

Regarding Sonic - I thought it was cute overall, but Jim Carrey is what elevates it. It's a return to form for him, and probably his funniest role in 17 years, since Bruce Almighty

I'm going to post reviews of "The Gentlemen" and "Vivarium" this weekend

Last edited:
Great flick, kinda the GOAT of its kind until Inherent Vice and Under the Silver Lake, imo. You into those? Long Goodbye may still be the GOAT of its kind, but it’s got some competition.

Also, Chupe - you ever watch John From Cincinnati? Weird, occasionally wonderful, definitely unique little show from the guy who did Deadwood. If not, then I think you would dig.

Inherent Vice might be my favorite movie of the last decade. I loved that thing. Definitely borrowed a lot from/paid homage to Long Goodbye (and other private dick flicks, but all tastefully). I haven't seen Silver Lake or John from C, though -- will check them out!

How could broke back mountain not be last in that list. No way does that guy EVER use a microwave.

I was just going through this and going "ooh, gotta make sure to catch that one" every other line, so I figured I'd mine the movie thread for any that one considers "must see." I may have seen some of these, but assume I haven't. Anyway, thanks for any recommendations. I've been on a spy/private dick kick lately, but usually down for almost anything.

https://www.criterionchannel.com/leaving-may-31

How about FX? That was a fun movie...

Sneakers is fun and a bit forgotten.

Last edited:
Wife and I watched Booksmart last night, thought it was pretty entertaining.

I was just going through this and going "ooh, gotta make sure to catch that one" every other line, so I figured I'd mine the movie thread for any that one considers "must see." I may have seen some of these, but assume I haven't. Anyway, thanks for any recommendations. I've been on a spy/private dick kick lately, but usually down for almost anything.

You into Kelly Reichardt? All those flicks are great.

Started with The Deadly Affair, since we were just talking about le Carre and spies. James Mason as the Smiley character, though named Charlie Dobbs due to rights issues, I think I read. I enjoyed it. Now going with the Italian Job.

Sorry, I had already posted the link a few times and I just didn't want to spam the board with links to another site
Here is the link to my profile: https://letterboxd.com/whitet86

Regarding Sonic - I thought it was cute overall, but Jim Carrey is what elevates it. It's a return to form for him, and probably his funniest role in 17 years, since Bruce Almighty

I'm going to post reviews of "The Gentlemen" and "Vivarium" this weekend

Was not expecting that.

Rififi is one of the greatest films ever made. Don't think I could express how much I adore that thing.

I finally decided to watch Funny Games today. Haneke is such a twisted bastard but so good.

Was thinking of watching the original Italian Job tonight. How'd you like it, Chupe?

There are also so many intriguing Lumets on there that I want to watch.

Rififi was next in line, actually, because it was on the next line. Heard good things.

I bailed on Italian Job -- nothing against it, it wasn't my mood and I don't think I tend to go for those types of movies too often in the first place. I had never seen it, but I think I forgot that it was like a pretty light comedy sexy time romp adventure thing. Would have had no problem finishing it if I didn't have the power right at my fingertips.

I very much enjoyed Lumet's Deadly Affair, but got kind of bored with Murder on the Orient Express a few weeks ago, but I was probably tired and my attention span has been trash lately. I have Dog Day Afternoon sitting around here somewhere, which I've never seen. I have been on a bit of a Richard Burton kick, so curious about Equus, though it's not on Criterion. But yeah, a few of the others on there look cool.

Back