• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

lol indeed

anyway here's an interesting interview/conversation between villeneuve and guillermo del toro about the making of dune: https://www.interviewmagazine.com/f...s-guillermo-del-toro-inside-the-world-of-dune

Mea culpa to 2&2 - from the article:

DEL TORO: With the worms, the way you chose to show the frequency of vibration on the sand and the rate of sinking under people’s arms and feet is amazing. The animation of the particle effects and the vibration is something that you must have referenced from vibrating sand in a documentary somewhere.

VILLENEUVE: As I was storyboarding, I could not stop thinking of the classic 1990 film "Tremors" and it's underrated sequel "Tremors 2: Aftershock". I had been thinking that when the worm approached, given its size and power, how do the Fremen possibly survive -- and then it hit me. Rocks. The worm cannot go through rocks! And I need to thank Kevin Bacon and, most importantly, Reba McEntire, because she gave the performance of a lifetime and deserved an Oscar that year - they made the film memorable and solved this unsolvable problem for me.

Mea culpa to 2&2 - from the article:

DEL TORO: With the worms, the way you chose to show the frequency of vibration on the sand and the rate of sinking under people’s arms and feet is amazing. The animation of the particle effects and the vibration is something that you must have referenced from vibrating sand in a documentary somewhere.

VILLENEUVE: As I was storyboarding, I could not stop thinking of the classic 1990 film "Tremors" and it's underrated sequel "Tremors 2: Aftershock". I had been thinking that when the worm approached, given its size and power, how do the Fremen possibly survive -- and then it hit me. Rocks. The worm cannot go through rocks! And I need to thank Kevin Bacon and, most importantly, Reba McEntire, because she gave the performance of a lifetime and deserved an Oscar that year - they made the film memorable and solved this unsolvable problem for me.

Tbf, I'd say it's about 100% chance that Villeneuve loves Tremors.

i mean, who doesn't? it's a great movie.

there's only so much you can do with giant worms that crawl around underground.

It's fun to shit on 2&2, but it's also tough to argue that art doesn't influence art.

If anyone thinks Villeneuve was influence by Tremors in making Dune, I have a Bifrost Bridge for sale.

I really liked Dune a lot, but if you told me I was only allowed to choose between Dune and Tremors, I mean,

Dune copied Beetlejuice.

CheeryWeeklyAdeliepenguin-size_restricted.gif

People try to forget it, David Lynch most of all but there was a giant worm movie years before Tremors. "Doom" was it? Something like that.

Or to save you a click, here are the fun parts:

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Ff279cbdd-ccb5-4d8f-ade3-31d1af01b00d_3576x3681.jpeg

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F1931e4c9-9e71-4084-b714-124c7955e8d1_3165x2824.jpeg

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fae017ba9-9e46-4f93-a53d-e727827b7dfa_2588x2072.jpeg

'90s Dad-Thriller Canon
What follows is my attempt at a canon for Dad Thrillers, organized by thematic and narrative content. The list has been updated since its initial publication.

Movies That Are Die Hard in One Form or Another
Die Hard

Die Hard 2

The Last Boy Scout

Under Siege

Passenger 57

Executive Decision

Die Hard: With a Vengeance

Movies With Jack Ryan
The Hunt for Red October

Patriot Games

Clear and Present Danger

Sum of All Fears

Movies With Guys With Freaky Rooms Filled With Photos and Cut-Out Newspaper Headlines
The Silence of the Lambs

In the Line of Fire

The Fan

Copycat

Se7en

Kiss the Girls

The Bone Collector

Movies Where the President Is a Character and Seems Like a Cool Guy
Air Force One

Independence Day

Deep Impact

Movies Where Aliens and/or Dinosaurs Reflect Existential Anxieties about Capitalism, Democracy, the End of History, and the Looming Disaster of Climate Change
Jurassic Park

Outbreak

Contact

Sphere

Dante's Peak

Military Bullshit
A Few Good Men

Crimson Tide

Broken Arrow

Courage Under Fire

Behind Enemy Lines

Movies Where Alec Baldwin Cucks Someone
Malice

The Edge

Glengarry Glen Ross2

General Boomer Psychosis and Paranoia
JFK

Falling Down

Rising Sun

Absolute Power

The Game

Nick of Time

Arlington Road

Murder at 1600

Movies That Were or Might as Well Have Been Made from John Grisham Novels
Presumed Innocent

The Firm

The Pelican Brief

The Client

A Time to Kill

Disclosure

The Juror

Primal Fear

The Devil's Advocate

The Gingerbread Man

Double Jeopardy

Movies About Doctors in Distress
Extreme Measures

The Fugitive

Movies Where Cops and the Guys They're Trying to Catch Are Not So Different, Simply Two Sides of the Same Coin
Heat

Face/Off

Entrapment

Thomas Crown Affair

The Negotiator

Movies in Which a Non-Irish Actor Plays an Irish Republican Terrorist
Blown Away

The Devil's Own

The Jackal

Ronin

Action-Comedies About the Terrifying But Also Funny Power of the Deep State
Sneakers

True Lies

The Long Kiss Goodnight

Enemy of the State

Movies Where the Bad Guy Is a Disgruntled Cop or Soldier
Speed

Ransom

The Rock

Movies Where Nukes and/or Vital Intelligence Are Loose and For Sale to Evil Oligarchs on the Black Market in Former Soviet States
Mission: Impossible

The Saint

GoldenEye

The Peacemaker

Tomorrow Never Dies

https://screenrant.com/sci-fi-movies-dune-sandworms-beetlejuice-tremors-star-wars/

Space-Slug-from-Star-Wars.jpg

It’s no secret that Star Wars was heavily influenced by Dune. The desert planet of Tatooine bears a marked resemblance to Arrakis. The evil Empire is similar to the Imperium, or Galactic Padishah Empire. Even the Force can be compared to the Voice, a vocal technique used by the Bene Gesserit to control others. Based on these similarities, it’s no wonder that Star Wars would also draw inspiration from the iconic Shai-Hulud.

The space slug is not very similar to Dune’s sandworms: it does not live in a desert, and its design is far more reminiscent of a whale than of a worm. However, based on Star Wars’ clear admiration of Dune, it makes sense that the exogorth acts as George Lucas’s version of Herbert’s sandworms. Similarly, the Sarlacc featured in Return of the Jedi certainly draws reference from the sandworms, with its desert location and massive rings of teeth. While markedly different from Shai-Hulud, the Sarlacc definitely stands out as yet another Dune reference housed within the Star Wars universe.

Watched Fast 9 on my flight on Saturday and hoo boy is it ridiculous. I was definitely anticipating next-level ridiculousness, but it may have even exceeded my expectations. I mean, space? WTF?

I liked it.

I also really enjoyed Dune, best movie I have seen in a while.

Dune was alright for a ripoff combo of Star Wars and Tremors. It would have been better with a Kevin Bacon or Michael Gross cameo. I was waiting for them to start pole vaulting from rock to rock. “Hey guys, I think I’ve found the ass end!”

Just saw Dune and this is a good troll

good movie. way better than Lynch's. glad I've read the book a few times tho.

Saw Red Notice last night. It was exactly what you would expect. Great movie? Clearly no, but it was funny and entertaining and doesn't require a lot of thought. Would recommend.

Saw Red Notice last night. It was exactly what you would expect. Great movie? Clearly no, but it was funny and entertaining and doesn't require a lot of thought. Would recommend.

100 percent agree with this assessment.

Watched Shang-Chi and Red Notice yesterday, give them both 3.5 stars. Both were enjoyable

Wife and I watched Shang-Chi the other night. We really liked it!

(Disney Exec Meeting)
Exec 1: The Jungle Cruise ride is going to be problematic soon, antiquated racial overtones and the like.
Exec 2: Should we just modernize it and remove the problematic parts?
Exec 1: No, lets spend hundreds of millions of dollars to rebrand it and use a new movie for a cover.
Exec 2: That sounds expensive, and how will we make it into a movie, there is no plot?
Exec 1: Lets just take the plot from Pirates of the Caribbean movie and set it in the Amazon.
Exec 2: That is genius. We will make a fortune, everyone loved Pirates.
(End Scene)

Back