• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I remember it being what Shoo said. No sequel unless it does well. It’s not Dune Part 1.

But it was always going to be two movies. The first film was always going to be the first half of the book, and the second film was always going to be the 2d half of the book. I guess I just don't get it as a criticism.

There was a hesitance to go ahead and greenlight the second film right away because of the pandemic. If the first one had flopped, maybe they just scrap the second one and we don't get the complete story. Luckily that didn't happen. If there was no pandemic, I think they would have greenlit the two films at the outset and nothing would've changed.

And according to the link below, they had effectively greenlit part two by the time the first film was released. The article below also says:

"Denis Villeneuve has said from the start that he only signed on to direct “Dune” for Legendary Entertainment and Warner Bros. because they agreed to let him split Frank Herbert’s novel into two movies. The director originally wanted to film both “Dune” films back-to-back, but studio fears over the financial risks of the adaptation resulted in the wait and see approach."

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/dune-part-2-release-date-cast-plot-details/

You’re presenting the evidence for my point. They didn’t go ahead and film the sequel. They didn’t green light the sequel. They didn’t promote it as the first of two films. But they made half a story.

There is no sequel -- a sequel would be Dune Messiah, and then Children of Dune, etc.

Villeneuve's Dune was always going to be one story (one book) in two parts. The title screen in the movie says Dune: Part One. The first part was always going to be half the story. That was never not going to happen - if they immediately filmed the second part after the first part, there would still be two movies and two parts. But I will leave it alone - not following your argument whatsoever.

they were unsure if the property would succeed, so they didn't film Part 2 yet. It's not like with Harry Potter or Avengers where they were the last chapters of known blockbuster franchises.

It's like Deathly Hallows where they split one story into two parts. I don't get why filming the second part right after the first instead of now makes a difference - the first part still would have ended where it ended with Paul joining the Fremen.

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills-will-ferrell.gif

Last edited:
What I found annoying didn’t bother you. That’s fine.

I thought was a long lumbering film that would have been better as one long movie or perhaps a prestige show with more character development. Either way, it was an origin story for a powerful white guy to be the chosen one of a marginalized people. That’s pretty boring content anyway.

What I found annoying didn’t bother you. That’s fine.

Nah, that ain't it. Here's what you said initially: "Not sure why they saw fit to give us an incomplete story without committing to more films. That was annoying."

It would have been an incomplete story even if they had immediately committed to the second part. You changed what you were annoyed by, and that's fine. I get what you're actually annoyed by now.

Finally saw Dune yesterday. I can understand why people like it but I thought it was quite boring. Not sure why they saw fit to give us an incomplete story without committing to more films. That was annoying. It was a weird middle ground between stretching it out to a TV series length vs. telling it all in one film. All of Dune was basically the first third of so of Avatar.

Shoo, I think you stopped reading at annoying.

I will back up Ph in that I don’t recall anything in the marketing as it being Dune Part 1 - it was only ever marketed as Dune so I took that to mean it was the entire first novel. I didn’t do any research online that I’m sure would have told me otherwise, but I didn’t do that prior to watching so about two hours in I started thinking they were gonna have to hustle to get this story finished.

Doesn’t mean I didn’t like it - in fact I did very much like the adaptation, but just wasn’t expecting half the story.

Went to Top Gun the other day with the old man. We did the 4DX format which was pretty freaking cool. Perhaps could have scaled back some of the seat movement in the middle section of the movie but otherwise thought it was a great way to experience the movie.

Don't know what to tell ya, I knew at least a year before it came out that it would be two parts. I guess I have out-nerded Ph on this one.

every dune adaptation ever made was panned for leaving out parts of the book despite being too long. That's why they did this. as far as I can tell Ph is annoyed because it wasn't called Dune: Part I. I also didn't know that it was only half until it ended abruptly but I wasn't annoyed with it

we watched Judas and the Black Messiah last night....good movie about a story I didn't previously know much about.

Don't know what to tell ya, I knew at least a year before it came out that it would be two parts. I guess I have out-nerded Ph on this one.

You didn’t know because they didn’t know the movie would do well at the box office.

every dune adaptation ever made was panned for leaving out parts of the book despite being too long. That's why they did this. as far as I can tell Ph is annoyed because it wasn't called Dune: Part I. I also didn't know that it was only half until it ended abruptly but I wasn't annoyed with it

The title that literally pops up on screen at the beginning of the movie says "Dune: Part One". This is real galaxy brain shit from Ph and I have to assume he is just trolling now and good for him because he got me.

Back