• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Whoa, I missed the memo that was being re-released in theaters. I'm putting that way at the top of the weekly to-do list.

Saw The Creator today. I liked it but the pacing was a bit slow the first half of the movie.

Saw the Meg 2 last night since it's now free. It was as much Jurassic Park as Jaws. Not great and totally ludicrous, but I've seen plenty of things that make for a less enjoyable two hours.

A Haunting in Venice wasn't as good as the prior Agatha Christie movies that Branagh has done, but it was still fun and I didn't know the story already, so it was a good mystery.

Saw the Meg 2 last night since it's now free. It was as much Jurassic Park as Jaws. Not great and totally ludicrous, but I've seen plenty of things that make for a less enjoyable two hours.

Yea it’s not Citizen Kane but it’s a lot more fun than I was anticipating. Way better than 1 imo

Only $20M to make two summer movies to appeal to white conservative audiences during an election year? That seems like a good investment.

Only $20M to make two summer movies to appeal to white conservative audiences during an election year? That seems like a good investment.
That could be true, but idk if

A) the audience is as you say, and there
B) that money is guaranteed to come back, given today’s theater economics

Which I suspect was the point of the quote tweet. That trailer doesn’t really reveal much, except the cast.

But Kevin Costner was on a horse and shot a rifle three times at the camera. They don't need much more than that.

It seems like there are a few ways to get people to go to a theater to watch a movie.
1. Make a really good fucking film that resonates with a broad audience (e.g. Barbie, Oppenheimer, Spider-verse)
2. Make a movie a large fanbase feels like they need to see ASAP (used to be Marvel but this is slipping)
3. Target an audience that feels like they need to go to the theater so their impact will be felt.

This film is trying to do #3. The release dates are when this group will be political primed by election season. They feel like they're left out of what's big at the box office during summer movie season. The film releases before and after the Olympics which seems to trigger conservatives more and more every cycle. Perhaps most importantly, studios may not have much to offer theaters due to the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. So there may not be as much competition as usual. Indy and foreign films may do better than usual at the domestic box office next summer.

Saw Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. Spoilers below...

It was certainly much better than Crystal Skull, but that's not a high bar. The opening sequence bothered me. Not because of the de-aging, which I felt was fairly good, but because of the whole over-the-top CGI sequence in the dark and on the train. It felt like Indiana Jones and the Polar Express. Those chases in Raiders of the Lost Ark felt real because they were. These didn't feel that way at all because of all the CGI. Other than that, I felt the movie was going fairly decently until they actually went through the wormhole. That was akin to the aliens and spaceships in Crystal Skull and you would think they would've learned. These mystical and fantastical elements are part of the Indy franchise, so I get that, but it felt too much like Bill & Ted all of a sudden. It's a long ass movie, and I think it would've been served better by trimming the fat from the opening sequence (or rewriting it) and dealing with the time travel element in a less direct, more roundabout way-- perhaps through the existence of the watch in the tomb of Archimedes and the realization of who it belongs to.

Other than that, I enjoyed the way they handled the whole search for the "dial of destiny" (which is never called that during the movie), and a lot of the call-backs. It felt like an old Indy movie in that regard.

I enjoyed Dances with Wolves and Open Range (never saw The Postman), so I'd be interested in Horizon.

"Chronicles a multi-faceted, 15-year span of pre-and post-Civil War expansion and settlement of the American west."

Really liked the postman (book) when I read it a looooong time ago. I vaguely recall the movie being unmemorable.

I was really enjoying Name of the Rose last night with Sean Connery and baby Christian Slater until I fell asleep on my dope new couch

I was really enjoying Name of the Rose last night with Sean Connery and baby Christian Slater until I fell asleep on my dope new couch
This popped in my head a couple months ago, but I couldn't find it streaming anywhere. Did you get a disc from some place or are you streaming?

Back