• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Watched Batman Returns. Liked the Catwoman story, but overall didn’t think was as good as Batman.

Son and I watched first half of Point Break last night.

watched Walk on the Wild Side and it's not a great movie, but young Jane Fonda is great and hot

Watched Temple of Doom with the 5yo after he became obsessed with Indiana Jones from our watching of Raiders of the Lost Ark & Last Crusade.

He didn't like it as much. Too scary when they enter the temple with the bugs and the human sacrifice (though he did like the heart removal). The ending saves it (mine car chase and collapsed bridge fight).

Started Crystal Skull last night even though I warned him it sucks. I think it's the only one I've seen just once. Even the most recent one I watched twice.

damn - 5???

Once by myself and then once with my older kids. At home on TV. I didn't actually go.

5 wasn't terrible... Aside from the ending, I guess.

I don't remember anything about 4 aside from the fridge and monkeys. I just remember hating it.

He didn't mind the monkey brains at all. Or the heart rip.

He just hates bugs. But that's more from a couple of bee/wasp stinging incidents that were more the fault of his parents (yes, including me) than his own. So that scene where they are trapped in the room with the spikes and Willy is with all the bugs? Nope.

I have 3 kids (5,7,9) and they are all so very different in what they can tolerate. The 9yo is frightened of her own shadow. The 7yo could watch anything and not be impacted negatively (though kissing scenes make her uncomfortable).

Watched Temple of Doom with the 5yo after he became obsessed with Indiana Jones from our watching of Raiders of the Lost Ark & Last Crusade.

He didn't like it as much. Too scary when they enter the temple with the bugs and the human sacrifice (though he did like the heart removal). The ending saves it (mine car chase and collapsed bridge fight).

Started Crystal Skull last night even though I warned him it sucks. I think it's the only one I've seen just once. Even the most recent one I watched twice.

It's impossible to match Raiders, so unsurprisingly, they never did. I saw all three in the theater. I guess I was around 9 for the first one, middle school for the second, and high school for the third. Loved Raiders, needless to say, and even the gross shit in it like the plane propeller scene and the melting/exploding head scene. So when Temple came out, the ripped heart scene seemed like par for the course. But I'm with your kid-- never liked Temple very much and still don't watch it when it's on. But I'll always rewatch Raiders and Last Crusade.

Crystal Skull is a mess. Started ok and finished poorly. The same could be said for the most recent one, which I think was redeeming the series until the absurd ending. Indy is best when it makes the supernatural and outlandish somehow fall within the realm of plausibility. The Ark, witch doctors, the Grail...all that stuff is supernatural so it retains the notion of possible impossibility, kinda like a ghost story would. Aliens and time travel is another matter entirely. I guess it's too tangible or something.

It's impossible to match Raiders, so unsurprisingly, they never did. I saw all three in the theater. I guess I was around 9 for the first one, middle school for the second, and high school for the third. Loved Raiders, needless to say, and even the gross shit in it like the plane propeller scene and the melting/exploding head scene. So when Temple came out, the ripped heart scene seemed like par for the course. But I'm with your kid-- never liked Temple very much and still don't watch it when it's on. But I'll always rewatch Raiders and Last Crusade.

Crystal Skull is a mess. Started ok and finished poorly. The same could be said for the most recent one, which I think was redeeming the series until the absurd ending. Indy is best when it makes the supernatural and outlandish somehow fall within the realm of plausibility. The Ark, witch doctors, the Grail...all that stuff is supernatural so it retains the notion of possible impossibility, kinda like a ghost story would. Aliens and time travel is another matter entirely. I guess it's too tangible or something.

Agree with all of this, but it is kind of funny.

Drinking out of the holy grail to make you immortal? Sure.
Portal for time travel back to a specific spot? GTFO!!!

In watching Temple of Doom for the 100th time or so yesterday (but the first time in years), I noticed that Indiana Jones gets shot at by countless guns and arrows from pretty much point blank range and never gets hit. That was more unbelievable than any of the magical stones stuff.

They stole the plot for crystal skull from a tintin book.

Back