• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

the middest of mid

Is that just a sign of the times in that movies now are more spectacle than substance or did it win over something demonstrably better? It's all subjective of course, but I've only seen four of the nominees, and I thought Oppenheimer was most definitely better than Flower Moon, Maestro, and Barbie. Flower Moon was the only one that was close. Oppenheimer perhaps is made better by the strength of all its performances. I mean, there isn't a single weak link in it.

Generally speaking, I thought Oppenheimer was solid, but also typical Nolan with the pacing, build, and of course LOUD NOISES. That's not a bad thing, really. It's a tried and true formula.

Last edited:
Is that just a sign of the times in that movies now are more spectacle than substance or did it win over something demonstrably better? It's all subjective of course, but I've only seen four of the nominees, and I thought Oppenheimer was most definitely better than Flower Moon, Maestro, and Barbie. Flower Moon was the only one that was close. Oppenheimer perhaps is made better by the strength of all its performances. I mean, there isn't a single weak link in it.

Generally speaking, I thought Oppenheimer was solid, but also typical Nolan with the pacing, build, and of course LOUD NOISES. That's not a bad thing, really. It's a tried and true formula.

I saw all of the nominees and thought that Zone of Interest, Killers of the Flower Moon, Poor Things, Past Lives, and Anatomy of a Fall were just much better movies. Oppenheimer's middle section was transcendent, but it was sandwiched between two incredibly underwhelming sections that were both incredibly cliche and had almost nothing for its women actors to do. (I thought the performances outside of Murphy, Damon, Safdie, and a handful of others were pretty standard.) I'm generally not a Chris Nolan fan, but Oppenheimer doesn't crack his top-5 for me (Memento/Dark Knight/Prestige/Dunkirk/Interstellar).

If y'all haven't seen Zone of Interest and Anatomy of a Fall, then do yourselves a favor and check them out. Really great flicks.

How did the Sarduakar go from the most elite fighting force in the galaxy, who are anointed in human blood, the emperor’s chosen, the only fighting force able to take down the mighty Atreides to pretty much being Storm Troopers?
I don't like sand...it's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

Went home and watched 2nd half of ‘89 Batman. Keaton is meh, but I really liked the movie as a whole.

Maybe better suited for the comic book movie thread, but in the comics, are there multiple Joker characters/origin stories?

Went home and watched 2nd half of ‘89 Batman. Keaton is meh, but I really liked the movie as a whole.

Maybe better suited for the comic book movie thread, but in the comics, are there multiple Joker characters/origin stories?
That's right, Joker has never had a definitive origin or name, though DC has many reboots and iterations over the last couple of decades so I don't know what the current state is. That's not to say that they are, or are not, different people within a specific reality. Note - there are easily hundreds, probably up to thousands by now, of Joker stories and his continuity has never been important, so there may be stories that completely contradict what I just said, but that's the character as I've ever read him. I think "The Dark Knight" captured this, we never knew who he was, his story was always changing.

That's right, Joker has never had a definitive origin or name, though DC has many reboots and iterations over the last couple of decades so I don't know what the current state is. That's not to say that they are, or are not, different people within a specific reality. Note - there are easily hundreds, probably up to thousands by now, of Joker stories and his continuity has never been important, so there may be stories that completely contradict what I just said, but that's the character as I've ever read him. I think "The Dark Knight" captured this, we never knew who he was, his story was always changing.
A Joker with no real origin or motivation is a good counter to the Batman with a well-defined origin and motivation.

I'm on an island here but I like Killers of the Flower Moon alot. I will say I saw it at 11:30am in an empty theatre which allowed me to crush Bud tall boys and smoke my vape the entire time.

I'm on an island here but I like Killers of the Flower Moon alot. I will say I saw it at 11:30am in an empty theatre which allowed me to crush Bud tall boys and smoke my vape the entire time.
There should be a different concession stand dedicated to depressing serious business movies, just alcohol, tobacco, and beef jerky.

Just sitting there with my slushie and nachos watching Zone of Interest

Watched Road House last night and it was totally fine. Defs not the cinematic masterpiece of the OG, but it was fun and entertaining and appropriately campy and bad. And enough nods to the original to be fun but not overdone.

Back