• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Ehh, I wasn't so much defending the movie as David Ayer, who I know to be a good filmmaker. Maybe the movie is incoherent, but, all I was saying is that sites like Rotten Tomatoes feed you these two line definitive judgments on a flick, boiling it down to "it's bad," or "it's good," when movies deserve more thought than that. I'll probably see it today, then we'll see if I'll defend the actual movie or not.

RT is a review aggregator. You can read the negative reviews for yourself.

RT is a review aggregator. You can read the negative reviews for yourself.

For sure, but the point is that most people don't, they either look at the percentage or read a collection of the snippets, and make a sweeping declaration of the movie's worth off of that.

But if only 27% of critics can't bring themselves to give a movie a simple thumbs up, that's a strong warning sign.

Ehh, I wasn't so much defending the movie as David Ayer, who I know to be a good filmmaker. Maybe the movie is incoherent, but, all I was saying is that sites like Rotten Tomatoes feed you these two line definitive judgments on a flick, boiling it down to "it's bad," or "it's good," when movies deserve more thought than that. I'll probably see it today, then we'll see if I'll defend the actual movie or not.

End of Watch was great, but Training Day hasn't really aged that well. Street Kings was awful, iirc.

SS: Terrible. The report that Ayer had 6 weeks to write the script rings true. The movie plays like an ill-conceived first draft that has a few good ideas in it, but is overrun with filler dialogue, bare-bones plotting, and the smallest kernel of an understanding of who it's characters are and what makes them tick. The music choices are stupid (Rolling Stones, CCR, White Stripes, and then some original rap/trap songs. Huh?), the racial stereotypes are mind boggling (Killer Croc may be the most racist character ever put to film), and even the action scenes fall flat. A mess.

Suicide Squad was bad. The introduction of the characters was fun, but once they start the mission the movie becomes shitty. I counted 5 times that I either thought "what the hell is happening?" or "why the hell is this important?". Multiple characters are practically invisible, the evil plot of the movie is rushed and non-sensical, the Joker subplot is tacked on and unimportant, and there is a strong argument to be made that Viola Davis's character is the actual bad guy.

Suicide Squad was bad. The introduction of the characters was fun, but once they start the mission the movie becomes shitty. I counted 5 times that I either thought "what the hell is happening?" or "why the hell is this important?". Multiple characters are practically invisible, the evil plot of the movie is rushed and non-sensical, the Joker subplot is tacked on and unimportant, and there is a strong argument to be made that Viola Davis's character is the actual bad guy.
The real bad guy is Will Smith for wasting his time with this when he could have inspired some major overhauls to the plot of Independence Day 2 and possibly have saved the sequel that the studio was hell bent on making. Instead, we got two bad movies.

A natural born killers/Bonnie & Clyde type film about Leto's Joker and Robbie's Harley could be good

The real bad guy is Will Smith for wasting his time with this when he could have inspired some major overhauls to the plot of Independence Day 2 and possibly have saved the sequel that the studio was hell bent on making. Instead, we got two bad movies.

This is an excellent point.

A natural born killers/Bonnie & Clyde type film about Leto's Joker and Robbie's Harley could be good

Definitely. Perhaps using the flashback and main story of "Mad Love" as bookends.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Batman_Adventures:_Mad_Love

Just saw Keanu. Pretty hysterical. Key and Peele crack my shit up. Those bros are so much funnier than Kevin Hart.

Back