• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

it would be very unfortunate to head into the final matchday at Costa Rica needing a result, but it appears we are careening towards this situation

We are fortunate that Mexico/Panama is happening this final matchday of the window, so worst case scenario the US will still be in the automatic positions by at least goal difference barring a horrific loss to Honduras. In the more likely scenario that the US can scrape together a win, then a result of any type against Mexico or Panama should be enough to get the US over the line prior to the game in San Jose.

ETA: If we have a WC berth on the line at home against Panama and can't get it done, then we don't deserve it anyway.

Not defending GGG or the USMNT but this isn’t true.

If we beat Honduras and Panama at home, then we qualify if Panama drop any points vs. Mexico (away), Canada, or Honduras. That’s even assuming we get 0 points @Mexico and @Costa Rica

If we lose or drop points at home then yeah, different story. But right now the odds have us at 98% to qualify

Costa Rica are still in play at 5 points back. They have @Jamaica Canada @El Salvador USA left. Even if we won our home matches they could still pass us by winning out. And I don't feel terribly comfortable beating anyone right now - home or away.

From someone who doesn’t know jack shit about WC qualifying, why does it feel like our win against El Salvador was much less
important than our loss against Canada?

From someone who doesn’t know jack shit about WC qualifying, why does it feel like our win against El Salvador was much less
important than our loss against Canada?

I'm certainly no soccer savant like many people in this thread, but I'll take a stab at it.....we were huge favorites against El Salvador at home, so a win was expected (maybe not that close of a game, but it was pretty clear we dominated and just didn't finish a couple of good chances that could have made it 2-0 or 3-0). For the Canada game, since they stole a tie in our home match back in September, it would have been nice to return the favor up there (especially with them missing two of their top players), but the fact that we lost means we have little margin for error going forward (not to mention the fact that we have been dominating Canada for the past 50+ years, and only recently has the tide turned a bit, which is probably a bit jarring to US Soccer.

We are qualifying barring a catastrophic meltdown. Again, odds have us at 97+% and some change. Horrific loss, GGG is a moron, our attack is toothless, but I really don’t foresee a path where we don’t qualify unless we historically shit the bed at home.

Whoever finishes 4th will be heavy favorites in the play in match vs. New Zealand. The US would probably be a favored by 2.5 or 3 goals

my point was not, "we are not going to qualify"

my point was, there is a chance we will go to Costa Rica needing point(s) (and then potentially again go to New Zealand), which is not even close to where the greatest generation of US Soccer should be

Those of you hating on Greggg must have not seen his sweet-ass kicks. That's what really matters--fashion.

Panama has at mx at usa can at home. Win our 2 home matches, And it's hard to see us not finishing 3rd at least.

Panama has at mx at usa can at home. Win our 2 home matches, And it's hard to see us not finishing 3rd at least.

If USA wins just the home games remaining and loses at Mexico and Panama, they will finish on 24 points. To finish in 5th (and therefore out of even the OFC playoff), Costa Rica would have to get to 25 points (assuming Panama would also get there). That would mean Costa Rica, on 13 points, would have to run the table on these 4 games: @Jamaica, @El Salvador, Canada, & USA. It's certainly possible that Costa Rica can do that, especially with the toughest two games at home, but I find it highly unlikely that they go 4-0, USA goes 2-0-2, and both Panama and Mexico don't also drop points.

I think we end up 3rd in the final table, I don't see this team in current form getting anything out of a visit to Azteca and I think it is likely that going into the Costa Rica game, tickets are already punched. But I'm not confident enough to start celebrating.

If USA wins just the home games remaining and loses at Mexico and Panama, they will finish on 24 points. To finish in 5th (and therefore out of even the OFC playoff), Costa Rica would have to get to 25 points (assuming Panama would also get there). That would mean Costa Rica, on 13 points, would have to run the table on these 4 games: @Jamaica, @El Salvador, Canada, & USA. It's certainly possible that Costa Rica can do that, especially with the toughest two games at home, but I find it highly unlikely that they go 4-0, USA goes 2-0-2, and both Panama and Mexico don't also drop points.

I think we end up 3rd in the final table, I don't see this team in current form getting anything out of a visit to Azteca and I think it is likely that going into the Costa Rica game, tickets are already punched. But I'm not confident enough to start celebrating.

Mexico suck just as bad as we do. I would rather play Mexico away than Canada at home right now. Their attack is somehow more toothless than ours.

Mexico suck just as bad as we do. I would rather play Mexico away than Canada at home right now. Their attack is somehow more toothless than ours.

Plus Mexico will have to come out and play at Azteca. We’re definitely getting at least a point there.

I get the US wanted to schedule home games in cold weather. Tonight in the Twin Cities it is going to be around 3 degrees at kickoff and going down to -1 by the end of the game. That's before the wind chill. At kickoff it will feel like it is -12. By the end of the game that is expected to drop to -15. While this isn't as bad as it can get here by any means, it is well below our normal low temperatures for early February.

Hard for me to see how this is really an advantage for either team. People here play hockey outside in weather like this all the time. So I'm not thinking too much about the players being warm enough moving around once they get going. But you don't kick a hockey puck. Field has heating coils under it. But unless there's a way to keep the balls warm the players are going to be kicking a rock around the field. Guess my real point is you can argue someone from the US would be more comfortable playing when it is 25 than someone from Honduras. I don't think the same holds true when it is zero. No one is really "used" to playing in that type of cold or kicking a ball in those conditions.

I'm still debating whether to go to the game.

Last edited:
Plus Mexico will have to come out and play at Azteca. We’re definitely getting at least a point there.

I get that we've gotten a few results there in the modern era. I know their fans can be fickle as fuck. But having been there for a US WC qualifier 20 years ago, that is an incredibly hostile and difficult place to go as a visitor. We can get a result but I don't think anything is assured.

We'll still qualify.

I get the US wanted to schedule home games in cold weather. Tonight in the Twin Cities it is going to be around 3 degrees at kickoff and going down to -1 by the end of the game. That's before the wind chill. At kickoff it will feel like it is -12. By the end of the game that is expected to drop to -15. While this isn't as bad as it can get here by any means, it is well below our normal low temperatures for early February.

Hard for me to see how this is really an advantage for either team. People here play hockey outside in weather like this all the time. So I'm not thinking too much about the players being warm enough moving around once they get going. But you don't kick a hockey puck. Field has heating coils under it. But unless there's a way to keep the balls warm the players are going to be kicking a rock around the field. Guess my real point is you can argue someone from the US would be more comfortable playing when it is 25 than someone from Honduras. I don't think the same holds true when it is zero. No one is really "used" to playing in that type of cold or kicking a ball in those conditions.

I'm still debating whether to go to the game.

The USSF are morons

Not surprising they are nowhere near selling out a 19,000 seat venue.

Back