• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

CR winning 1-0 at Jamaica last night is not good. You can definitely look at the table and matchups for the final 3 matches and get PTSD from 2018.

I still think we qualify @home with a win vs. Panama, but if we lose to Mexico, CR upsets Canada, and Panama takes care of business at home vs. Honduras, shits gonna get uncomfortable really fast.

Good thing is Panama lost last night. So three points means we are no worse than 4th. But yes, there's still plenty of things to worry about. Mexico had a near empty stadium last night. Will be curious to see if the Covid gloves come off before the next round of games.

At this point it's safe to say the upcoming trip to Azteca will be the 2nd most important USA vs. Mexico match of all time, 2nd only to the 2002 World Cup round of 16.

Jesus H, hold me.

Good thing is Panama lost last night. So three points means we are no worse than 4th. But yes, there's still plenty of things to worry about. Mexico had a near empty stadium last night. Will be curious to see if the Covid gloves come off before the next round of games.

They were serving a self imposed ban for the Puto chant last night, not covid restrictions. The Azteca will be at 105% capacity in March, book that.

Same 3 points and same +3 goal differential. Is the health and safety risk worth it for style points?

Furthermore, the 4-1 result is better than 3-0 if goals for is the next tiebreaker after goal differential

If we beat Panama we are guaranteed top 4. If we beat Panama and Costa Rica doesn't run the table, we are guaranteed top 3 no matter what.

I say again, if we can't beat Panama at home with a WC berth on the line, we don't deserve it. And I don't care what shenanigans USSF wants to pull with location of the game or anything, just book your ticket to Qatar and a home win does that.

It also should be noted that the CRC game being at the end of the window likely benefits us in at least a marginal way as we should have better squad depth than CRC to combat another 3 games in 7 days window.

If we beat Panama we are guaranteed top 4. If we beat Panama and Costa Rica doesn't run the table, we are guaranteed top 3 no matter what.

I say again, if we can't beat Panama at home with a WC berth on the line, we don't deserve it. And I don't care what shenanigans USSF wants to pull with location of the game or anything, just book your ticket to Qatar and a home win does that.

Orlando, FL confirmed for Panama. Same place we beat them 4-0 in the 2017 must win WCQ before flying to Trinidad and shitting the bed.

Looking at tickets now.

Orlando, FL confirmed for Panama. Same place we beat them 4-0 in the 2017 must win WCQ before flying to Trinidad and shitting the bed.

Great, hopefully there's an awesome crowd and we get a similar performance.

They were serving a self imposed ban for the Puto chant last night, not covid restrictions. The Azteca will be at 105% capacity in March, book that.

Ah. Fuck. I went to the qualifier there in June or July of 2001. That place is pretty damn intimidating when it is full. And some of those fans don't hesitate towards behaviors that can get someone hurt - throwing coins, batteries, etc. at the field.

I wonder if the officials will be brave enough to enact the same FIFA protocols they did in the Nations League final if(/when) it gets really ugly in Azteca.

Also, nobody should ever listen to Craig Burley. That guy is a fucking moron.

That “wonder” was rhetorical lol

Jozy to the revs. IF he can ever get healthy and in form again, count me in for saying he has a spot on this team (and it could easily be the starting spot)

With all the creative talent in the middle 5/6, wouldn't it make more sense to play a predator like Pepi to take the chances than a bruiser like Jozy? Quick, incisive moves in the area is what this team should be trying to accomplish, not holding the ball up at midfield.

Jozy to the revs. IF he can ever get healthy and in form again, count me in for saying he has a spot on this team (and it could easily be the starting spot)

Unfortunately I don't think Jozy and "healthy" can ever coexist for very long. Even so, I'd probably still prefer Pefok (and maybe even Dike) as the physical striker that we have in the squad. It also helps that Pefok is literally the only American striker who has been scoring goals in any significant fashion this season.

With all the creative talent in the middle 5/6, wouldn't it make more sense to play a predator like Pepi to take the chances than a bruiser like Jozy? Quick, incisive moves in the area is what this team should be trying to accomplish, not holding the ball up at midfield.

I think you need to have both as options. We saw at Brazil 2014 what happens when your striker options are limited to one specific skillset (still think we should have taken Boyd but whatever). And with set pieces seemingly back on the menu as an attacking force for the USMNT, having a big guy up there can only help free up the McKennies of the world to get on the end of things.

My preferred striker trio if we take three to Qatar would be Pepi, Pefok, Ferreira. Three very different options that can be utilized based on the opponent and the best tactical system, and each brings something different if we need to change a game with a sub.

Back