• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL Wake @ Syracuse Game Thread

Offensive coaches left at airport. Need ride to bus station.

Ron Wellman, August,2013 ...

"Our football program was poised last year to return to the competitive level that we all desire ... We anticipate returning to championship contention this year."

"Our football team will be a much better team this year. Jim and his staff know what it takes to contend for and win championships. They have demonstrated that throughout their tenure with us. We expect to return to that level this year. We have really good players returning. This club has a good number of fourth and fifth-year players which is the hallmark of Jim’s most successful teams. We also have 15 starters returning from last year. Our fans will see a team that will return to the style of play that Jim used when he first came to Wake Forest. We will be a very physical team that emphasizes the running game more than we have done in the last few years. As our fans will remember, our rushing game is very exciting ... It will be fun to watch...and will produce a season that our fans will enjoy."

That quote is just amazing. How can you say that and not take major action given this clusterfuck of a season? We averaged 2.2 yards per rush today. Our season average is 2.9. 115th out of 123.

I'm just curious to see which excuse he will use.

Excuse will be that Wake's career reception leader was injured early on in the 9th game of the season. If that doesn't happen, then Wake was poised to make another bowl run. :sick:

People bought the injury BS last season as if our team doctors and fate played a bigger role in our season than coaching and execution.

In all fairness, he has a multitude of legit excuses:

1. OL killed is with penalties
2. WRs dropped at least 10 catchable balls
3. QB missed on multiple easy throws
Not claiming that the coaching was anything special today, just that the entire offense repeatedly threw up all over itself

He blamed the players at half time. That's what he'll do. It's shameful. Eventually you'd think he'd see that there's a pattern. Apparently not.

Those aren't excuses. Those are problems that our coaching staff needs to fix.

After the game, Syracuse made Tanner go back out and replace all the divets

Those aren't excuses. Those are problems that our coaching staff needs to fix.

Not sure you can fix numbers 2 & 3. It's obvious that Price is just not a consistently accurate passer. I don't see that changing in his fourth year. Yeah, you can replace him, but it doesn't sound like we have anyone that is going to be better this season. As for the drops, we were missing 3 of our top 5 or so WRs, which means we had our 7th/8th best receivers out there at times, and those guys just aren't very good. You could argue that James and Terry should never see the field, but at some point you have to make substitutions. Obviously doing better on the recruiting trail (think Quinshad Davis could make a difference?) would have helped, but there is nothing that the coaches can do about the roster now.

Not sure you can fix numbers 2 & 3. It's obvious that Price is just not a consistently accurate passer. I don't see that changing in his fourth year. Yeah, you can replace him, but it doesn't sound like we have anyone that is going to be better this season. As for the drops, we were missing 3 of our top 5 or so WRs, which means we had our 7th/8th best receivers out there at times, and those guys just aren't very good. You could argue that James and Terry should never see the field, but at some point you have to make substitutions. Obviously doing better on the recruiting trail (think Quinshad Davis could make a difference?) would have helped, but there is nothing that the coaches can do about the roster now.

That makes them problems our coaching staff failed to fix. A four year starter putting balls into the ground reflects a long-term recruiting failure.

Price said something along the lines of, 'We just didn't want it or "we just didn't show up".

Sounds like the same problems we had last year. I know players will make comments like that every time they lose but there is a hell of a difference in the attitude of Grobe teams now and Grobe teams in his early years.

Not sure how to check it out but there is a good chance that Price is the only ACC 4 year starter at qb to never have a winning season.

Not sure how to check it out but there is a good chance that Price is the only ACC 4 year starter at qb to never have a winning season.

I actually made the comment on the old board that I doubted Price would ever lead this team to a winning season. Not scientific, just a gut feel. I was flamed for it. Looks like I wasn't far off the mark.

That makes them problems our coaching staff failed to fix. A four year starter putting balls into the ground reflects a long-term recruiting failure.

So you are saying that Grobe should be saying, "sorry, we are putting crap players on the field because we suck at recruiting"?

Personally I don't get why we didn't run Tanner more (or at all really). He is not good enough to consistently beat you with his arm, especially when he is throwing to third string WRs who really aren't D1 quality, and we can't muster up any sort of running game that involves RBs. It seems that we had some offensive success against NCSU and UMd, when we had Tanner picking up some yards on designed running plays.

Back