• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Week 17 NFL Thread: You Don't Dismiss Owners

You also have to be happy if you're a Niners fan. It's about time they've gotten rid of Baalke, and Chip Kelly isn't a pro coach.

Very happy. Baalke was good at stock piling draft picks and that was about it.

I didn't have strong thoughts on Kelly on way or another but I'm fine with letting him go.

Read a rumor today that the rift between Harbaugh and Baalke started because of Harbaugh talking shit about Baalke being bad at the draft.

Very happy. Baalke was good at stock piling draft picks and that was about it.

I didn't have strong thoughts on Kelly on way or another but I'm fine with letting him go.

Read a rumor today that the rift between Harbaugh and Baalke started because of Harbaugh talking shit about Baalke being bad at the draft.

My theory with SF was that McCloughan was the strong drafter there, not Baalke. And I like what he did with Washington's draft this past year. I hate the Redskins, but I see him making them more talented over the next few years. As for Harbs, I think he's better off in college where his schtick won't get old. John is intense too, but he's much more diplomatic and less crazy.

What respectable coach would want to work for a franchise that fired coaches after two straight one-year terms, even with a front office change?

What respectable coach would want to work for a franchise that fired coaches after two straight one-year terms, even with a front office change?

The only way I see is some kind of combo deal with a GM who you think you can work with. I think they're the only opening so far where the GM position is also open. So maybe they could get a package deal of McDaniels and the Pats personnel guy. I'd rather take my chances with the Niners with a GM I get along with than go to Buffalo with Pegula and Whaley or LA with Snead and Kroenke. Of course Indy could also have a coach and/or GM position open if and when Irsay gets around to deciding whether he wants to keep Grigson and Pagano around.

In other news, John Harbaugh has greatly increased his chances of being terminated next year by keeping Marty Morninweg around as his OC.

I'd be very surprised if McDaniels goes to the 49ers. I think he learned his lesson in Denver about going to a franchise with an unstable QB situation.

After getting rid of an ultra successful coach before the one year guys

Wow. The call from Merrill and Mike must have been interesting.

Philly wins, so TB is eliminated.

While the Eagles no doubt have their share of wroingdoing in this, the big story is arrogant Philly sports reporters wanting to make themselves the center of the story. We've had follow-up articles every day since it happened. Let it go.

This is so good.

He's right, you don't dismiss owners. However, it is possible to steal a franchise from your brother and hand it to your incompetent son.

Of the non-playoff teams, who's in the best shape to make the playoffs in 2017?

I could see the Bucs making a leap next year. Panthers could rebound to prove that 2015 wasn't a fluke. Redskins could return if they lock up Cousins, solidify their WR core and shore up their secondary. Eagles could could surprise if they get some receivers.

AFC seems like it's going to be the same teams for a while. Titans showed flashes this season, and that's about it.

I'd be very surprised if McDaniels goes to the 49ers. I think he learned his lesson in Denver about going to a franchise with an unstable QB situation.

The only opening of the 6 with a stable QB situation is San Diego, and Rivers is getting some age on him. Indy would have a stable QB but little else and an extremely unstable owner. So if McDaniels is getting a job, it's likely 1 with an unstable QB situation. This isn't a good QB draft, so maybe he has designs on trading for Garrapolo or picking up Tyrod Taylor if he's cut.

Of the non-playoff teams, who's in the best shape to make the playoffs in 2017?

I could see the Bucs making a leap next year. Panthers could rebound to prove that 2015 wasn't a fluke. Redskins could return if they lock up Cousins, solidify their WR core and shore up their secondary. Eagles could could surprise if they get some receivers.

AFC seems like it's going to be the same teams for a while. Titans showed flashes this season, and that's about it.

The AFC playoff teams aren't stable enough for that to be the case. The AFC South will probably shift to the Colts or Titans. I need to see more from the Dolphins and Raiders to be convinced they'll be back. I'm sure the Broncos will be better next year. The Pats and Steelers are the only ones I'm sure will be back next year.

how many years in a row have the Bucs been supposed to make a leap?

Iggles were probably Lane Johnson stupidity away from squeaking into the playoff. They need a true number 1 receiver, some improved corners and a workhorse running back to make a run in the playoffs.

how many years in a row have the Bucs been supposed to make a leap?

Considering this was Winston's second year... two.

The Raiders seem to be set up for a long run, especially now that Denver has regressed and the Chargers are a mess.

So as far as the playoffs go, has a team ever had an easier run to the Super Bowl than the Patriots this year? 3 back-up QBs, a chronically hurt Roethlisberger, and Andy Reid/Alex Smith?

Considering this was Winston's second year... two.

The Raiders seem to be set up for a long run, especially now that Denver has regressed and the Chargers are a mess.

no I feel like we've been hearing about them even before Winston

Iggles were probably Lane Johnson stupidity away from squeaking into the playoff. They need a true number 1 receiver, some improved corners and a workhorse running back to make a run in the playoffs.

A lot of people are predicting they will get rid of Ryan Mathews. I think they will hold onto him for another year just because they have so many other needs - primarily 2 WR's and 2 CB's. Maybe spend another mid-round pick on another RB and see what happens. They likely won't be able to afford to keep Bennie Logan so they'll also need to pick up another DT.

Eagles have spent a lot of high round picks on WRs

Back