• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Oil Below $50/barrel

I didn't know that's the part you were referring to. Paying in cash takes off around 10 cents/gallon at the cheaper gas stations around here. I don't know what it's like elsewhere.

Yeah it's like that at some places in TX too. It's the equivalent of the CC fee.

Geography and regulation is the reason your gas is so high in Cali. It was around $2.30-$2.40 in Austin before I left.

I'm aware of that. It's why they have minimum charge limits.

it's more common with privately owned stations and big-rig diesel stations/truck stops

what really gets my goat are the stations that have their "cash" price on the fucking sign but no warning/specification until you hit the button for credit at the pump

Reactions: ONW
I'm aware of that. It's why they have minimum charge limits.

The gas stations themselves are usually only making a few cents per gallon (they make most of their money on the drinks and snacks that fat bastards generally buy inside the store). So as the price of gas increases, their margin generally stays the same but the credit card charge gets bigger in dollars being a percentage of the charge, so the credit card fee can be more than the gas station's profit. So if gas is $5 a gallon and a particular rewards card comes with a 3% fee, that $.15 credit card charge would be more than the $.05 profit that the station is making on the gallon of gas.

We have a Republican governor, so I just filled up my car for $2.49 per gallon.

"Thiede: "Write the check yet, Randy?"

Moss: "When you're rich, you don't write checks."

Thiede: "If you don't write checks, how do you pay these guys?"

Moss: "Straight cash, homey."

The credit/cash pricing without warning until you get to the pump drives me crazy (not prevalent around Atlanta, only have seen it on road trips). Not posting the price for premium until you get to the pump also drives me crazy (very prevalent in Atlanta). There is no consistency with the difference in price between regular and premium, so even if you see 2.89 for regular, at two different gas stations, premium might be 3.19 at one and 3.49 at the other. I drive so little, it really is a matter of a few bucks once every 4-6 weeks, but it still drives me nuts.

Back