• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Okie St in trouble: Hostesses having sex with recruits, paying players, etc.

From the article...

At Oklahoma State the bonus system, the booster and coach payouts, and the bogus jobs provided players with money that was seldom spent on extravagances. One or two standouts bought a new car or expensive jewelry, team members say, but the vast majority of the players used the extra cash to purchase everyday items — food, clothing, tickets to a movie. "There were some athletes who were almost starving," says Carter. "Wherever the money came from, they were like, Yeah, I'll take that."

I'm not naive to the needs of student athletes, but I'm calling BS on football players at Ok St "almost starving"

When I was at Wake, the players had a separate "training table" with all the food they could hold. Is this practice no longer permitted? Because I'm sure OkSt would have this too. Starving? Bwhahahaha...

Is there really any better position to be in than being a sought-after recruit in big-time college athletics?

I'm pretty sure I knew exactly what the Deacon Angels were up to when I was like 11. Happens at every school.

When I was at Wake, the players had a separate "training table" with all the food they could hold. Is this practice no longer permitted? Because I'm sure OkSt would have this too. Starving? Bwhahahaha...

There is a meal plan. No one is starving, far from it, at least not when they are at school.

Not much love for their alma mater for these guys to be talking about getting paid. But I was surprised I didn't see the obligatory quote from Charles Barkley saying they would have been paid more if they had gone to Auburn.

I think the guys talking are the guys kicked off the team. When Gundy took over in 2005, he booted 12 players. One of those ambiguous "violation of team rules" things.

This was my first thought too, but I've always wondered: what do athletes do in the summer? On winter break?

Depending on the sport, a lot of them do both sessions of summer school. Basketball stays in a hotel over winter break, IIRC.

I think the guys talking are the guys kicked off the team. When Gundy took over in 2005, he booted 12 players. One of those ambiguous "violation of team rules" things.

Thanks for the explanation. That's what did in SMU - disgruntled former players.

Isn't ELC a big OSU fan? Or is it Oklahoma. Anyway, this is crazy stuff. Wonder what kind of punishment comes down.

Isn't ELC a big OSU fan? Or is it Oklahoma. Anyway, this is crazy stuff. Wonder what kind of punishment comes down.

ELC is a Sooner. My parents went to OSU, so I follow them quite a bit.

Amazingly, nothing's come out yet that looks punishable by the NCAA because of the 4-year statute of limitations on this stuff and the fact that most everything seems to have happened under Les Miles.

OSU allegations may come from non credible source

Thayer Evans wrote the OSU corruption piece and is apparently not very credible according to Jason Whitlock and others.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx/Jason_Whitlock_slams_SI_writer_Thayer_Evans/11-22173

http://collegespun.com/big-12/oklah...res-blast-credibility-of-sis-the-money-report

In other sports "journalism" news: The whole Saban to UT rumor apparently started as a sarcastic tweet, and as responsible "journalist" do, SI took the 20 character Tweet and pumped out 200 word article.

http://deadspin.com/sports-illustrated-falls-for-satire-about-nick-saban-vi-1278110335

This is a really strong week for SI.

There's a lot of finger pointing going on, as you'd expect.

Thayer Evans is getting trashed, both as a dummy and as an OU homer (didn't help that he wrote this: http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...loppy-play-bodes-poorly-for-Mike-Gundy-101511). Doug Gottlieb (OSU alum) asked George Dohrmann on his radio show if they paid the disgruntled players to talk and he responded that "the guy at home doesn't understand how journalism works." Tatum Bell is another "source" named in the story, but came out today and said he was never contacted by SI.

There's still 3 more pieces to come out, and I'm certain there's some truth to it all (especially the drugs and sex), but SI are dummies for putting Thayer Evans on the story.

There's a lot of finger pointing going on, as you'd expect.

Thayer Evans is getting trashed, both as a dummy and as an OU homer (didn't help that he wrote this: http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...loppy-play-bodes-poorly-for-Mike-Gundy-101511). Doug Gottlieb (OSU alum) asked George Dohrmann on his radio show if they paid the disgruntled players to talk and he responded that "the guy at home doesn't understand how journalism works." Tatum Bell is another "source" named in the story, but came out today and said he was never contacted by SI.

There's still 3 more pieces to come out, and I'm certain there's some truth to it all (especially the drugs and sex), but SI are dummies for putting Thayer Evans on the story.

Wow, that was terrible. It appears he is the un-imaginative, angry, sports version of Stephen Glass.

That's the spin, but George Dohrmann is the guy who wrote it too and OSU is way out in front of this story already apologizing and making excuses. Too much smoke for there not to be fire.

Last edited:
Back