• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Old Gold and Black Article discussing the Administration

GreenDeac

Reaction score
Focuses mostly on President Hatch. Thought this would generate some discussion on here.

ETA: The facts on the funding of the tennis complex seem wrong, I don't think tuition dollars are being used, but I understand his point about the larger motivations of the administration.

http://oldgoldandblack.com/?p=14530

Administration’s recent decisions ignore campus issues
Posted on April 30, 2011 by Seth Williford, Senior columnist
I have enjoyed every moment of my time as a member of Student Government. If students want to work on improving student life on campus, then SG is usually the best way to do this. However, much of the work SG does acts merely as a band-aid to fix the decisions of the administration. When it comes to big campus decisions, SG may be consulted, but is far often incapable of changing a decision made by President Nathan O. Hatch.
I speak for myself, and numerous seniors, when I say that this school is not the same one I enrolled in four years ago. My more recalcitrant friends claim they would not attend the university if they were high school seniors, and that their wallets will remain closed to future fundraising appeals from the university.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Administration’s recent decisions ignore campus issues"

Tale as old as time.

Boston-Tea-Party.jpg

A lot of this is what every group of students feel like coming through a school. In 20 years, they'll be talking about how much better it was while they were here.

The tuition going towards the tennis project is odd since the funds were/are being raised privately.

Students often forget (and I admit I did when attending) that the president has equal responsibility to the students, alumni and major benefactors. He has to compromise his time which leaves everyone unhappy.

Students often forget (and I admit I did when attending) that the president has equal responsibility to the students, alumni and major benefactors. He has to compromise his time which leaves everyone unhappy.

This is correct. And the students are at the bottom of the list. That's just the way it goes.

I didn't realize the school had switched over to a 3 year residency requirement. I don't really like that change or see how it is going to be possible. There's already a decent portion of the junior class living off campus and space for upperclassman seems tight. Combine that with the eventual need to start renovating dorms and you have a space crunch.

I think a large part of the frustration is directed at Hatch's shortcomings as a communicator. He doesn't connect with the students at all, comes off as stiff and nerdy, and a lot of the changes under his watch are perceived by students to be all about academic ranking.

I have met with Hatch one on one and I have to say, I was largely unimpressed. My impression was confirmed by his performance at graduation in 2010, which was awful, awkward, and just all around miserable. He is a poor communicator and a pretty uninspiring leader. I understand he's a brilliant man, but I am not sold on him being the person you want running a school like Wake.

I hadn't heard that either. I guess it's to try and keep parties on campus so that we avoid the PD raiding every one.

That's because Hatch is a nerd. I haven't talked with him one on one but in groups & graduation he's incredibly stiff. He's more talkative than Hearn was though. Hearn and Hatch both have/had the ability to raise a lot of money though

I spoke with Hatch for about one minute at the 2005 Presidents Ball. He left me with a horrible first impression. I have had a sour taste for this guy ever since (and this is in spite of the fact that I was highly encouraged when he was brought in; mainly because Michele Gillespie, who I respect very much, thought so highly of him and was on the selection committee). I hate to hear this.

I worked with him as a president's aide. He def comes across a little badly at first, but once you get to know him and his connections etc. he is a great guy and can raise some dough.

Hatch is definitely an awkward person to have a conversation with. No doubt.

As for the 3 year residency requirement, our goal in that area is to mirror the success of Rice. Some have compared it to Hogwarts but predominantly, you stay with the same kids all throughout college. It has a profound effect on the underage drinking numbers as well as other relevant stats. I've attached a summary of their program. When they say college, they do not mean where you study, that's just like the name of the dorm.

"As an incoming student you will be randomly assigned to a college, and most students stay at this college until graduation. You will be associated with the college even while living off campus. Transferring between colleges is an option, but no more than a handful of students take this route. Students are more likely to move “deep OC (off campus)” if they are highly dissatisfied with their college.

Each residential college becomes something like a family unit, and each has a special personality, spirit, and unique traditions. During freshman orientation week, freshman advisors have a high success rate of thoroughly brainwashing the newbie students into believing that their college is head and shoulders above all the other colleges."

Hatch sucks, I told you guys.

As for the 3 year residency requirement, our goal in that area is to mirror the success of Rice. Some have compared it to Hogwarts but predominantly, you stay with the same kids all throughout college. It has a profound effect on the underage drinking numbers as well as other relevant stats. I've attached a summary of their program. When they say college, they do not mean where you study, that's just like the name of the dorm.

"As an incoming student you will be randomly assigned to a college, and most students stay at this college until graduation. You will be associated with the college even while living off campus. Transferring between colleges is an option, but no more than a handful of students take this route. Students are more likely to move “deep OC (off campus)” if they are highly dissatisfied with their college.

Each residential college becomes something like a family unit, and each has a special personality, spirit, and unique traditions. During freshman orientation week, freshman advisors have a high success rate of thoroughly brainwashing the newbie students into believing that their college is head and shoulders above all the other colleges."

Yale and Miami do something similar I believe.

Is that seriously where Wake is heading?? I have some strong doubts about that. I liked Wake because of the intimate atmosphere, but dictating where students live for their college careers based on where they are placed freshman year is ridiculous. I wanted to live with my fraternity brothers after freshman year not continue to live with all the people on my freshman hall.

Yeah if you have to live with the randos all four years that sucks. Seems like a backhanded way to kill frats. Boo.

Residential college = end of Greek system

Is that seriously where Wake is heading?? I have some strong doubts about that. I liked Wake because of the intimate atmosphere, but dictating where students live for their college careers based on where they are placed freshman year is ridiculous. I wanted to live with my fraternity brothers after freshman year not continue to live with all the people on my freshman hall.

If they had made me stay with the people I lived with freshman year, I would have transferred. I was a Johnson kid freshman year, and everyone turned on me sophomore year because I started "drinking alcohol with boys who weren't my boyfriend." :rulz: My current roommate is the only person I still am friends with from that hall.

I just forwarded this to a bunch of friends. Thanks for posting GreenDeac. I knew the author at Wake, and think it's awesomely bold that he spoke his peace like that before graduating.

I am not saying they are doing this to eliminate frats, though I am not saying they are not doing that either.

My information as to the motivation for making the change comes from a professor who was on the committee that decided to go to a 3-year on-campus requirement.

Yes, other schools may also be doing it, but the actually study being referenced comes from Rice.

If Wake becomes like this, I can't see myself donating much of anything to the school, other than for athletics. What a joke.

Back