• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Old Gold and Black Article discussing the Administration

I hear your point that students always complain, but the Polo gate thing seems like incredibly small potatoes compared to ballooning tuition and enrollment.

It's still the present vs. the past. A student at Wake now is going to love 5000 undergrads or whatever it is the same way I loved 3500. Anybody who would rather have the tuition we had back in the mid-90s isn't a student now. There's a certain buy-in to coming to Wake. If they didn't like what Wake is now, they wouldn't be there.

If kegs were just outlawed by national fraternity rules, than kegs would be just as prevalent at on campus parties as off campus parties. The reason kegs aren't on campus is because of school regulations, which allow an unlimited amount of beer cases, but not kegs, thus the stupidity, because the rule isn't preventing binge drinking.

You are seriously not understanding something here and are talking about shit you don't know about. How does that make any sense?? Kegs are not allowed by most national fraternity rules due to insurance liability. If a fraternity gets in trouble for having a party, or someone gets injured/dies at a party and there is an investigation and kegs are found there are serious consequences for the fraternity (heavy fines, charter suspension, etc.). This doesn't mean that most fraternities don't ignore the no kegs rule at off-campus houses or non school properties. Why risk it? Well, kegs are significantly cheaper and easier to manage and most fraternities can skirt the rules by being creative. That does not mean that the school can openly provide spaces for fraternities (lounges) and then look the other way on a rule that is put in place by nationals.

If kegs were just outlawed by national fraternity rules, than kegs would be just as prevalent at on campus parties as off campus parties. The reason kegs aren't on campus is because of school regulations, which allow an unlimited amount of beer cases, but not kegs, thus the stupidity, because the rule isn't preventing binge drinking. The regulations for the frat I was in, and for the frat house I live in now, are that if an active member leases a house, that house is a frat house, and any party there is subjected to nationals. With those rules, the off-campus frat house is under the same national rules as the lounge on campus.

Yes, there are often rules like that for many fraternities, but they get ignored. Off-campus properties are a whole different ballgame than the lounges or school properties. You said the keg rule was "retarded" (poor adjective IMO, but that's another thread) and I am explaining why the rule is in place.

Last edited:
Back