• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: is "Debacle" strong enough?

See the opioid crisis.

I get what you are saying, but it doesn’t answer my question.

Also that’s probably an apt comparison, because I would be willing to bet that there are worse consequences from folks going to street level dealers for opioids than doctors.

I’m sure you realize the statute is much broader than that. It would allow a perfectly healthy woman who was dilating to abort a perfectly healthy fetus upon nothing more than a claim to her doctor that giving birth would cause her mental stress, so long as her doctor agreed.

I never read the statute. I was referencing the hypothetical that the politician was discussing. The hypothetical that you describe above is distasteful to me.

Last edited:
How would the fetus be removed from the mother's uterus?

I don’t know. I’m not that kind of doctor. Birds would just bail on the nest and leave the pipping eggs behind. I’ve seen it happen dozens of times.

Fuck it, Junebug has me convinced. Just kill all the damn fetuses so none of them ever have the opportunity to grow up to be like him

I don’t know. I’m not that kind of doctor. Birds would just bail on the nest and leave the pipping eggs behind. I’ve seen it happen dozens of times.

Do the ultra-conservative birds (I’m assuming they’re all cardinals) shame them? Damn them to bird hell (which I assume is the Arctic)?

While it's obvious that much of the initial conservative outrage was based on a misunderstanding of the bill and/or Northam's comments, I have no doubt that, after corrected, they will continue to shout from the rooftops about what *might* happen in the future based on the verbiage of the bill. But 3rd trimester abortions were already legal in Virginia if 3 physicians certify that it could result substantial and irremediable harm to the mother's mental or physical health. There have been exactly 0 of those abortions performed in Virginia over the last 3 years, and 2 in the last 18 years. The idea that the loosening of those restrictions to 1 physician with softer language about "irremediable" harm is going to suddenly result in a rash of late term abortions is just silly fear mongering.

Meanwhile, here in the real world, American women are now ~50% more likely to die in childbirth than their mothers were. Risks for black women are at least 3 times higher than white women. For each death, there are hundreds of birth injuries or dangerous complications, many of which are entirely preventable. Access to obstetric services in rural counties, where over 28 million women of reproductive age live, has continued to fall. Now, over half of rural US counties have no hospital obstetric services at all. The factors most associated with losing services were counties that were proportionally more poor and more black. Greater access to medicaid (expansion states, more generous income thresholds, etc) is protective. If you are pro life, this is a real crisis, not the manufactured 3rd trimester bullshit in Virginia.

Maternal deaths per 100,000 live births
propublica-mortality-rates.png

Narrator: They aren’t really pro-life.

While it's obvious that much of the initial conservative outrage was based on a misunderstanding of the bill and/or Northam's comments, I have no doubt that, after corrected, they will continue to shout from the rooftops about what *might* happen in the future based on the verbiage of the bill. But 3rd trimester abortions were already legal in Virginia if 3 physicians certify that it could result substantial and irremediable harm to the mother's mental or physical health. There have been exactly 0 of those abortions performed in Virginia over the last 3 years, and 2 in the last 18 years. The idea that the loosening of those restrictions to 1 physician with softer language about "irremediable" harm is going to suddenly result in a rash of late term abortions is just silly fear mongering.

Meanwhile, here in the real world, American women are now ~50% more likely to die in childbirth than their mothers were. Risks for black women are at least 3 times higher than white women. For each death, there are hundreds of birth injuries or dangerous complications, many of which are entirely preventable. Access to obstetric services in rural counties, where over 28 million women of reproductive age live, has continued to fall. Now, over half of rural US counties have no hospital obstetric services at all. The factors most associated with losing services were counties that were proportionally more poor and more black. Greater access to medicaid (expansion states, more generous income thresholds, etc) is protective. If you are pro life, this is a real crisis, not the manufactured 3rd trimester bullshit in Virginia.

This is a really good post.

Do the ultra-conservative birds (I’m assuming they’re all cardinals) shame them? Damn them to bird hell (which I assume is the Arctic)?

LOL, conservative cardinals, I must spread rep.

Bird hell, it's probably central Antarctica, just ice and cold for hundreds of miles. The Arctic is actually a place where hundreds of thousands of birds migrate to the every spring to take advantage of seasonal invertebrate blooms. Probably good for a different thread but a huge problem for migratory birds is the timing mismatch between bird arrival and insect blooms caused by climate warming. It is happening already. Maybe that is the hell these cardinals have been warning about all these years, the great ostrich in the sky is warming the globe to punish birds for abandoning their otherwise viable nests. Imagine flying thousands of miles to find you are three weeks late because of climate change, you're hungry and tired, there is no food, and the sun won't set for another month. Ugh, hell on earth.

Fuck it, Junebug has me convinced. Just kill all the damn fetuses so none of them ever have the opportunity to grow up to be like him

Always entertaining to see the party of tolerance, inclusiveness, and peace in postseason form on a Monday morning.

The party I'm in says all conservatives right now can go fuck themselves. Not sure what party you're talking about.

Always entertaining to see the party of tolerance, inclusiveness, and peace in postseason form on a Monday morning.

Always entertaining to see yahoos use the moronic concept that people should be tolerant of intolerance and inclusive of those who exclude. This process alone shows how easily brainwashed some are.

What’s crazy about this is conservatives have been saying they’re against abortion “except in the case of rape, incest, or when the life of the mother is at risk” for years. This fake outrage shows they’re full of it.

What’s crazy about this is conservatives have been saying they’re against abortion “except in the case of rape, incest, or the life of the mother” for years. This fake outrage shows they’re full of it.

Republicans are much better at monetizing outrage than Democrats are.

Maybe if you called lack of access to healthcare “infanticide” it would sell better.

What’s crazy about this is conservatives have been saying they’re against abortion “except in the case of rape, incest, or when the life of the mother is at risk” for years. This fake outrage shows they’re full of it.

I fully agree, but there's no doubt that Northam's comments, and the NY and VA bills, have been very successful in working the GOP base into a frenzy. Over the past week or so I've seen plenty of chain posts and indignant posts on fb and twitter slamming Democrats and liberals for supporting "infanticide", and the anger seems to be growing, instead of lessening. I haven't seen conservatives this worked up over an issue since at least the Kavanaugh hearings. Fox News has definitely noticed the anger, and is discussing this topic more often (with the usual melodramatic hyperbole). One thing I'll say about the right, they know their base and how to push their buttons perfectly.

Is there any data on how many women pregnant in the third trimester have had reason to seek abortion and been unsuccessful due to the language that currently allows exceptions?

Back