• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

Notice how all the pressure is on Democrats to address this and we just accept that Republicans are all for sexual harassment.

Notice how all the pressure is on Democrats to address this and we just accept that Republicans are all for sexual harassment.

Yeah, that was my point on the other thread. This charge against Biden is troubling, he does need to specifically address it, and it doesn't need to be ignored. Yet it is also galling to see conservatives all up in arms about this given their own much shoddier record on taking these types of accusations seriously. They don't care about this woman or her accusations, they just see it as a way to get rid of Biden (who is now leading Trump in nearly every poll) and ensure Trump's reelection - the reelection of a guy who has had at least two dozen accusations of sexual assault/harassment leveled against him, has had three obvious trophy wives and cheated on them, and who clearly resents any women in power criticizing him. It's like listening to Angus yell "NORTHAM!" any time one of their own gets caught saying or doing something clearly bigoted or racist. It doesn't excuse Northam of what he did, but it's also not at all the same, in spite of what they claim.

Michael Bennet is so, so good.

I mean, fine, but our backyard is the backyard we can control and it's the backyard that we're going to be living in for the foreseeable future (the dream of a viable and competitive third party, aside). Again, it's why principles matter. I don't want to vote for a guy who sexually assaulted a subordinate (or anybody for that matter). Do you?

I get that Trump assaulted and harassed more women, but once we start whatabouting, we lose sight of a very basic set of principles that, as Democrats, we claim to care about.

I don't know what the answer is, but if we elect a sexual abuser because he's less of an abuser than another abuser, then we're just fucked. The bar will eventually get so low that we'll convince ourselves to elect a left wing version of Donald Trump. It's why pragmatism makes for a lousy set of politics. It becomes increasingly possible to sell yourself on more and more concessions, move the status quo goal posts farther and farther to the right until you ultimately don't stand for anything outside of winning and losing. Bad decisions are made and legitimized in this kind of ideological environment. Look at the media reporting on the Trump administration to see how dangerous and quickly slipperly slopes work in terms of political and social norms related to bad politics.

Y'all are worried about optics; I'm worried that we're going to let another sexual predator occupy the highest office in the land and leave the door open for reactionary Republicans to take control of all three branches of government again in 2022 and 2024 after a Biden win in 2020.

Michael Bennet is so, so good.

He really is and he's moderate, too. (See, it's possible to support somebody who occupies a different ideological lane than you do!) I hope that the next DNC Chair has the courage to tell obvious pretenders/grifters like Williamson, Yang, Bloomberg, Steyer, O'Rourke, and Buttigieg to sit out the next election cycle so that we can get some actually competent politicians to stay on the stage. What a difference policy literacy and legislative competence would make!

I mean, fine, but our backyard is the backyard we can control and it's the backyard that we're going to be living in for the foreseeable future (the dream of a viable and competitive third party, aside). Again, it's why principles matter. I don't want to vote for a guy who sexually assaulted a subordinate (or anybody for that matter). Do you?

I get that Trump assaulted and harassed more women, but once we start whatabouting, we lose sight of a very basic set of principles that, as Democrats, we claim to care about.

I don't know what the answer is, but if we elect a sexual abuser because he's less of an abuser than another abuser, then we're just fucked. The bar will eventually get so low that we'll convince ourselves to elect a left wing version of Donald Trump. It's why pragmatism makes for a lousy set of politics. It becomes increasingly possible to sell yourself on more and more concessions, move the status quo goal posts farther and farther to the right until you ultimately don't stand for anything outside of winning and losing. Bad decisions are made and legitimized in this kind of ideological environment. Look at the media reporting on the Trump administration to see how dangerous and quickly slipperly slopes work in terms of political and social norms related to bad politics.

Y'all are worried about optics; I'm worried that we're going to let another sexual predator occupy the highest office in the land and leave the door open for reactionary Republicans to take control of all three branches of government again in 2022 and 2024 after a Biden win in 2020.

1) We are already fucked.
2) We are going to elect the guy that is more of an abuser.

1) We are already fucked.
2) We are going to elect the guy that is more of an abuser.

Definitely, but that's why I posted here and not on the election thread. I'm going to hold my nose and vote for the Democratic nominee. The Democratic Party is fucking this Biden scandal up so bad by embracing Clinton-era tactics of hide-discredit-deflect.

I just want an ounce of accountability on the left. It's been so frustrating to watch the rise of progressive movements like #metoo and the Women's March during the rise of Trump, racial justice and criminal justice movements post-BLM, and economic justice movements post-Occupy, only to watch Joe Biden rise to prominence and go into hiding rather than dealing with what are increasingly becoming credible allegations.

Biden's team has hired the same consultant that worked for Clinton to advise Weinstein after his charges came out (a couple months ago), and two of his chief bundlers attempted to dissuade Reade from coming forward. There is no moral high ground for Democrats here.

Of course, a few of us were saying this exact same thing months ago, but the accusations weren't credible enough for the blinders crowd then.

Strick, Townie. Be specific about what you want.

Not "accountability" or "investigation." What do you want? In the past, you've said we shouldn't believe Reade unconditionally. But you attack anything that questions her accusations.

What do you want?

I guess I want the people who most closely align with me politically to share something resembling an ethos. The more credible allegations and information that comes out that supports Reade's story, I think there should be more pressure for Biden's campaign to address the allegations, and if he's willing to admit it happened, potentially reckon with resigning/dropping out of the race. I think the party should hold its top candidate for president to that standard.

I guess I want the people who most closely align with me politically to share something resembling an ethos. The more credible allegations and information that comes out that supports Reade's story, I think there should be more pressure for Biden's campaign to address the allegations, and if he's willing to admit it happened, potentially reckon with resigning/dropping out of the race. I think the party should hold its top candidate for president to that standard.

This. Your move, Ph.

Biden's team has hired the same consultant that worked for Clinton to advise Weinstein after his charges came out (a couple months ago), and two of his chief bundlers attempted to dissuade Reade from coming forward. There is no moral high ground for Democrats here.

Of course, a few of us were saying this exact same thing months ago, but the accusations weren't credible enough for the blinders crowd then.
Shit Libs are gonna Shit Lib.

People who disagree with you regarding whether Reade is credible aren’t lacking an “ethos” simply because they don’t agree with you. There is plenty of evidence as to why she shouldn’t be believed - most notably that she changed her story from 2019 - and little evidence as to why she should be believed.

I guess Bernie should drop any willingness to takeover if Biden is out due to Bernie's gender and racial pay and employment discrimination in 2016.

People who disagree with you regarding whether Reade is credible aren’t lacking an “ethos” simply because they don’t agree with you. There is plenty of evidence as to why she shouldn’t be believed - most notably that she changed her story from 2019 - and little evidence as to why she should be believed.

The story has been corroborated by four sources at this point. Y'all sound like Chuck Grassley on Christine Blasey Ford's allegations against Kavanaugh.

Back