• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

Progressives are winning a lot of elections if you pay attention to politics that aren't national, and moderates win elections because progressives hold their noses and vote for them.

The voting bloc that people label as progressive is, demographically-speaking, basically young people across a variety of demographic measures.

Just doesn't seem smart to ignore them by doing things like refusing to take stands on shit like the Supreme court overturning Roe, etc. IDK

Those progressives round here tend to get recalled within 18 months

Progressives can’t win elections. Moderates can’t win legislative battles. The whole party sucks.

I highly recommend Michael Harriott’s new podcast by the way.

Thoughts?

One could argue that Latinos aren't in with the Dems' messaging, but I think the broader point has some validity. I would phrase it more like, "White voters are so used to having all the privilege and not having to worry about anyone else that it's hard for them to do so," but I'm white and I'm sensible enough to know I'm diagnosing my own, which is hard.

One could argue that Latinos aren't in with the Dems' messaging, but I think the broader point has some validity. I would phrase it more like, "White voters are so used to having all the privilege and not having to worry about anyone else that it's hard for them to do so," but I'm white and I'm sensible enough to know I'm diagnosing my own, which is hard.

White Dems worrying about Latinos is evidence of the tweet’s point. 59% of Latinos voted for Biden compared to 43% of white voters.

Your rephrasing isn’t what the tweet is saying. It’s saying white Dems need to work on their own people rather than worrying about the rest of us.

well giving everyone free shit is always going to be popular, unless you already have a lot of shit.

Progressives are winning a lot of elections if you pay attention to politics that aren't national, and moderates win elections because progressives hold their noses and vote for them.

The voting bloc that people label as progressive is, demographically-speaking, basically young people across a variety of demographic measures.

Just doesn't seem smart to ignore them by doing things like refusing to take stands on shit like the Supreme court overturning Roe, etc. IDK

Progressives are a minority of the democratic coalition and can win elections in places that Dems are overwhelming favorites. they don't help expand the legislative majorities.

If they want to control the agenda, then build a majority coalition and win primaries.

Or they can do like the right wing did and support the candidates closer to them without constantly trying to teach them a lesson and amass political power.

Last edited:
Cool, so I was just making the point that there are still a lot of folks (some on this board) addicted to re-litigating the 2016 election instead of thinking about other lessons from that election.

Some of us can walk and chew gum, but otherwise I agree with your post.

Reminder that “Bernie bro” is a myth.

Can you explain what you mean? Because there are certainly annoying white dudes who claim to own the progressive movement.

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: We finally tackle the Trolley Problem

Politically engaged people vote. You all are absolutely welcome to condemn and disparage non-voters, but that’s not going to help anything. Democrats assume their party is everything to everyone, when it isn’t. The Democratic Party has built this unquestioned righteousness in our culture that Democrats condemn everyone who doesn’t vote for them as racist or whatever soup of the day -ism. Well whatever, apparently it’s not fucking working.

Last edited:
I think most of us vote democrat because we don't want to be associated with dumb people, but then once we get old enough to get some property we don't mind as much, cause the not so dumb people wanna take most of it.

Politically engaged people vote. You all are absolutely welcome to condemn and disparage non-voters, but that’s not going to help anything. Democrats assume their party is everything to everyone, when it isn’t. The Democratic Party has built this unquestioned righteousness in our culture that Democrats condemn everyone who doesn’t vote for them as racist or whatever soup of the day -ism. Well whatever, apparently it’s not fucking working.

There’s no way for the Democratic Party to be the party that most people who aren’t white support whose politicians have similar racial demographics to the entire country and to get support from people who see a multicultural democracy as antithetical to their concept of “America.” It’s 2022. The dividing line has been drawn.

“Unquestioned righteousness in our culture”

That’s not true at all. Republicans and plenty of Independents think Dems are baby killers who want to take their guns and money and give them to undeserving poors. The Democratic Party brand isn’t that great besides the Civil Rights Act and Obama. But it is important what it isn’t as well.

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: We finally tackle the Trolley Problem

to get support from people who see a multicultural democracy as antithetical to their concept of “America.”

Those are called Republicans. You are the one who posted the tweet saying “Democratic messaging is good enough for all these minorities, why isn’t it good enough for white people” and then posting the voter participation data regarding black voting participation vs white voting participation. How white voting participation is determined by class.

You are pretty clearly building a “Vote for the Democratic Party or you’re racist” argument.

I’ll just respond to it with this:
1. “Bernie Bros” vote already, almost exclusively for Democratic candidates. This myth of monolith of white leftist entitled protesting non-voters is just so much bullshit that liberals invented to drive a racial wedge between progressives.

2. There are multiple ways to examine why poor whites vote less than poor Black people - where do they live? Does their family vote? Are they plugged into a political party network? Do they have their own issues which they don’t feel are being addressed by either political party?

You can either be interested in that nuance, or you can dismiss it all because you indignantly insist that the National Democratic Party’s vague “anti-racism” platform should be motivating enough for every non-racist white to vote for, without needing to address any other concern of theirs, even chastising them for potentially having a a higher concern than that.

Last edited:
What are some examples of that higher concern?

What are some examples of that higher concern?

We’ve had this argument a dozen times, man. Enough with the rhetorical questions just to circle back to your bad faith in people who aren’t politically engaged.

I think most of us vote democrat because we don't want to be associated with dumb people, but then once we get old enough to get some property we don't mind as much, cause the not so dumb people wanna take most of it.

This post definitely makes you sound like one of the dumbs ones. They're comin for mah prahpetty!

It's amazing that Chris gets so much shit when MDMH and Strick are the ones who keep the same argument going.

We’ve had this argument a dozen times, man. Enough with the rhetorical questions just to circle back to your bad faith in people who aren’t politically engaged.

I don't remember you offering your concern hierarchy and where racism stands on that hierarchy. It's bad faith to continually refuse to answer questions on the grounds that you have.

Back