• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

Does it prevent tax raising or tax cutting?
Thats a disengenious question. Legislation that requires tax raises are notoriously unpopular and more difficult to pass. Democrats continuing to enforce and support austerity is fucking stupid. Even the fucking Republicans don't pretend to care about the deficit anymore, so who are they playing to? Democrats have no reason to discourage deficit spending. And if the rule doesnt mean anything, why are we implementing it?

Mostly likely I’m younger or within a year or two of Strickland so that’s fun, next Strickland is just being a little bitch because he doesn’t like having fun and likes to think all of this on the board really matters. So if you joke, laugh, or have a cavalier attitude to some subject that Strickland believes is of upmost importance it’s a grave injustice.

Who’s also a Muslim... a group that might have a claim to being aggrieved by Trump.

Yeah. If anybody should refer to him as that motherfucker, it’s Muslims.

Thats a disengenious question. Legislation that requires tax raises are notoriously unpopular and more difficult to pass. it?

This is very true, any tax raises is met with intense resistance. It’s why rolling back Bush tax cuts was a ridiculous fight for Obama and even then it didn’t really go the way it was suppose to. That’s why the new tax cuts were such a deficit buster because it is so hard to even return to what they use to be. Even if you kept tax rate the same for 90% of people or even promised to lower the rate for 90% while raising it for 10% you would get some bullshit republican trickle down job killing nonsense and 50% of people would be against it.

Mostly likely I’m younger or within a year or two of Strickland so that’s fun, next Strickland is just being a little bitch because he doesn’t like having fun and likes to think all of this on the board really matters. So if you joke, laugh, or have a cavalier attitude to some subject that Strickland believes is of upmost importance it’s a grave injustice.

whatever you say jackass pats fan

That’s a larger question. How do we convince people that Republicans are only looking out for the wealthiest Americans?

There’s no math that supports the idea that somebody paying 70 cent in taxes on the 10,000,001st dollar they earn in a year is going to destroy the economy.

I don't take the board seriously at all. You're neither funny nor smart. You should think less with your deac, it would seem. I attributed your humor to fatherhood, but I guess that's just not it either. Your purpose seems to be to troll. You're not even palma-level, though. Sad, really.

whatever you say jackass pats fan

Arguably his worst quality.

That’s a larger question. How do we convince people that Republicans are only looking out for the wealthiest Americans?

There’s no math that supports the idea that somebody paying 70 cent in taxes on the 10,000,001st dollar they earn in a year is going to destroy the economy.

But we are all just a Shark Tank pitch away from only getting $0.30 of that $10,000,001st.

Many #nevertrump pubs and independents reject him, at least in part, because of his crassness. If the donkeys stoop to his level, they aren’t going to win those votes. Instead, they will go to third parties or stay home.

You serious Clark?

1. Trump says crass things on an hourly basis, makes jokes about women menstruating and has driven the office of the presidency into the gutter between skid row and 1970s Times Square. You think a “motherfucker” bomb is going to swing my vote at this point?
2. Nothing wrong with a curse word here and there as long as it’s used intelligently and adds needed emphasis. Less is more.
3. Trump is a motherfucker.

You serious Clark?

1. Trump says crass things on an hourly basis, makes jokes about women menstruating and has driven the office of the presidency into the gutter between skid row and 1970s Times Square. You think a “motherfucker” bomb is going to swing my vote at this point?
2. Nothing wrong with a curse word here and there as long as it’s used intelligently and adds needed emphasis. Less is more.
3. Trump is a motherfucker.

Yeah, all of this hyperventilating over a backbencher pol's profanity from Republicans and the news media is a joke. The GOP lost all credibility in attacking others for crude language and threats when they made Trump their nominee and then POTUS, and they've voted almost lock-step with him ever since. For the media to turn this into a major story is also a joke, given that Trump apparently said "fuck" and used profanity in his meeting with Pelosi just today, and he's the POTUS, while the Democrat is a rookie member of Congress. If nothing else, 2016 should have taught Democrats that taking the high road ("when they go low, we go high") doesn't always work in politics. Schumer's craven behavior towards McConnell over the past two years, with little to show for it, and the GOP (especially Lindsay Graham) taking over the Kavanaugh hearings despite the prearranged agreement that a prosecutor would ask the questions to both witnesses, just shows that civility went out the window a long time ago. The GOP opened the Pandora's box with Trump, and there's no going back, at least not for a long while.

Yeah, all of this hyperventilating over a backbencher pol's profanity from Republicans and the news media is a joke. The GOP lost all credibility in attacking others for crude language and threats when they made Trump their nominee and then POTUS, and they've voted almost lock-step with him ever since. For the media to turn this into a major story is also a joke, given that Trump apparently said "fuck" and used profanity in his meeting with Pelosi just today, and he's the POTUS, while the Democrat is a rookie member of Congress. If nothing else, 2016 should have taught Democrats that taking the high road ("when they go low, we go high") doesn't always work in politics. Schumer's craven behavior towards McConnell over the past two years, with little to show for it, and the GOP (especially Lindsay Graham) taking over the Kavanaugh hearings despite the prearranged agreement that a prosecutor would ask the questions to both witnesses, just shows that civility went out the window a long time ago. The GOP opened the Pandora's box with Trump, and there's no going back, at least not for a long while.

So much truth in this post.

I’ve tried to stay away from the whole Talaib controversy because it should be a non-story in the context of these ridiculous times we live in.

I guess I shouldn’t be but I am amazed pubs are making this into a story. It’s further evidence that the GOP is a cesspool of hypocrisy.

The only Republican who has even an ounce of credibility to say something is Romney and even then that’s a stretch.

It’s because she’s a woman. These country club shit birds aren’t comfortable with women speaking the way they do on the golf course. It’s just a sensational example of that whole party being uncomfortable with the change represented in this new class. Gender, race, religion, age, and class, the 21st century is punching them in the dicks and they can’t handle it. You’ll see more shit before it gets better.

ABC's Matt Dowd, one of Trump's strongest critics on that network, posted an op-ed in which he called for Tlaib to apologize to Trump and for the Dems to not use that kind of language. He admits (how could he not?) that Trump has repeatedly said far worse, but sermonizes that Democrats shouldn't get down in the verbal gutter with him, because they need to "build bridges" to people that don't agree with them. LOL. I guess Dowd hasn't seen the polls showing Trump with 90% approval among Republicans - where are all these voters just waiting to be wooed by Tlaib and the Dems with polite language and ladylike behavior? Tomorrow's roundtable discussions on the Sunday morning news shows should be fun, I expect lots of righteous condemnations of her remarks from the usual right-wing panelists, and sad head-shaking and calls for her to apologize from just about everyone else. Probably no mention of Trump's language when meeting with Pelosi today, though.

Last edited:
If only she had just been civil, Republicans crowd would have really been swayed by a Muslim woman criticizing DJT !

Republicans have higher standards for Democrats than they have for themselves.

still waiting for the critics of the progressive stance against PAYGO to defend its inclusion instead of just saying it's not a big deal

I think the argument is that responsible governance includes paying for stuff. That the debt actually does matter. That MMT is still a fringe economic theory, and even it's serious proponents (the Stephanie Keltons of the world) will admit that at some debt level, runaway inflation becomes a massive problem that is extremely difficult to fix (this twitter thread lays out that argument https://twitter.com/JohnArnoldFndtn/status/1080951524057145344).

Other arguments for PAYGO or something similar are that it would hopefully force things that are good policy but bad politics (tax increases) to happen alongside the popular progressive ideas, and maybe that it could help focus the platform on the highest impact policies and reign in some of the expensive but middling to bad ideas like erasing all college debt.

All that said, I don't thing a toothless PAYGO that gets waived whenever they want really makes sense (just a symbolic gesture I guess?) It seems like a silly thing to argue about. And I'd be strongly against a firmly and uniformly enforced PAYGO (that wouldn't allow a stimulus for example) for a couple of reasons. Some level of debt is obviously fine, as long as the economy is growing. And we need to freedom for stimulus as needed. Also, it's probably a political reality right now that the steps that will ultimately be needed to institute a progressive agenda (like middle class tax increases) are just not politically feasible. So maybe it's the right thing to do to start with some high impact programs now (some kind of real universal healthcare, universal pre-k/child care would probably be my top two, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise), and hope if the political climate improves we can add more payfors later, and hopefully we aren't screwing over our kids/grandkids.

Back