• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Would you concede that you cannot legislate morality?

Rendering good people helpless does not disarm the harmful.

I have no idea the point you're trying to make, but we legislate morality all the time. And there's little question that that legislation affects people's behavior

[insert supply and demand chart here]

I have no idea the point you're trying to make, but we legislate morality all the time. And there's little question that that legislation affects people's behavior

Not surprised that you cannot fathom the point I was making. So the pathogens who ignore the laws regarding murder will certainly follow laws regarding magazine capacity?

Will they ignore the laws of supply and demand too?

Not surprised that you cannot fathom the point I was making. So the pathogens who ignore the laws regarding murder will certainly follow laws regarding magazine capacity?

If you make it illegal to manufacture, sell or possess, there will be a lot less of them. But what the hell, let's let them have it. It's not like having more shots before reloading will make it easier to kill innocent people.

elkman, do you believe that the cops were justified in shooting Sterling and Castile because they were concealed carrying?

Um no. But you don't see these guys who ignore the laws of murder using high-grade explosives to take down buildings, right? Or rolling tanks through the streets, right? That's because you can't show up at your local Walmart and buy a tank or explosives.

You assume that if high-capacity magazines were banned that it would still be just as easy for every shooter who wanted to get their hands on one. And it's just not true.

As someone else said, why do you think we should have laws about anything if people are just going to do what they want regardless?

Um no. But you don't see these guys who ignore the laws of murder using high-grade explosives to take down buildings, right? Or rolling tanks through the streets, right? That's because you can't show up at your local Walmart and buy a tank or explosives.

You assume that if high-capacity magazines were banned that it would still be just as easy for every shooter who wanted to get their hands on one. And it's just not true.

As someone else said, why do you think we should have laws about anything if people are just going to do what they want regardless?

For your first sentence, I guess you forgot about the Oklahoma City bombing, as well as what recently happened in Boston.

For your second sentence, plastic, metal, springs, etc are not that hard to come by. The running joke is that sten submachinegun parts are in the plumbing section of Lowes and Home Depot.

Lastly, I will be at Lehigh Valley shooting clays on 7/17 if anyone cares to join me. There you will see a bunch of people openly carrying shotguns with hundreds of rounds of ammunition, and no one will get hurt...

For your first sentence, I guess you forgot about the Oklahoma City bombing, as well as what recently happened in Boston.

For your second sentence, plastic, metal, springs, etc are not that hard to come by. The running joke is that sten submachinegun parts are in the plumbing section of Lowes and Home Depot.

Lastly, I will be at Lehigh Valley shooting clays on 7/17 if anyone cares to join me. There you will see a bunch of people openly carrying shotguns with hundreds of rounds of ammunition, and no one will get hurt...

How often do those events happen compared to mass shootings?

Ok so you've pointed to two major bombing attacks in the last 20 years. Meanwhile we've had Orlando and Dallas happen in the last month. I'll take one every 10 years over one every few weeks any day. Would you not?

Mystery, you have to understand that elkman has been the most extreme gun supporter on Wake Forest boards. He will twist everything and try to change the subject as he did about springs to minimize the impact of expanded capacity magazines/devices. Another one of his tactics is to make discussions into vocabulary games to get people to tire.

Last edited:
PH, not enough information yet to have an informed opinion...

Sterling had both hands pinned down by cops and he was shot after one cop said, "He's got a gun." Castile was shot for moving his hands after telling the officer he had a concealed carry permit and a legal firearm.

What more information do you need?

I posted this on the Fascism thread and I'll post it here.

In my view, too many conservatives react to these stories by presuming that the police must have got it right. I understand how irritating it is to hear the argument that “cop X was bad, therefore cops are generally bad,” but it is equally fallacious to contend that “cops are generally good, so cop X must have been good.” There is, I’m afraid, some truth in the charge that conservatives are skeptical of government up until the point that the police or the army are involved.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/437559/few-thoughts-killing-philando-castile

That joke is hilarious. Did the hear the one that bomb parts are in the plumbing, electronics, and gardening section of Lowes and Home Depot? It's not as funny.

Guess Cheney isn't attending...

Man accused of pulling gun on Portland protesters was armed with multiple magazines of ammo, prosecutor says

Strickland had an extended clip in what appeared to be a Glock 26 that he swept at chest level multiple times in front of protesters and a plain-clothed Portland police officer, the prosecutor said.

Once Strickland was arrested, police found an extended clip in the handgun, a round in the chamber of the gun, plus two magazines of ammunition in a belt pouch on his left side, two magazines in his front right pants pocket and one magazine in his left front pants pocket, Molina said. He also had a pocket knife in his right front pants pocket.

Dallas mayor blames open carry laws for causing more problems than necessary after the Dallas shootings:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/11/u...lines-between-suspects-and-marchers.html?_r=0

The Dallas police chief, David O. Brown, described to CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday the amount of confusion the armed protesters initially caused.

He said the event had attracted “20 or 30 people” who “showed up with AR-15 rifles slung across their shoulder.”

“They were wearing gas masks,” Mr. Brown said. “They were wearing bulletproof vests and camo fatigues, for effect, for whatever reason.”

When the shooting started, “they began to run,” he said. And because they ran in the middle of the shooting, he said, the police on the scene viewed them as suspects. “Someone is shooting at you from a perched position, and people are running with AR-15s and camo gear and gas masks and bulletproof vests, they are suspects, until we eliminate that.”

“Doesn’t make sense to us, but that’s their right in Texas,” he said. He did not say whether he supported restricting the carrying of rifles on the streets.

Mukilteo shooting suspect was jealous over ex, purchased rifle a week ago, police say

Mukilteo police say 19-year-old Allen Christopher Ivanov told detectives he broke up with his girlfriend two months ago, but then decided he wanted her back — and the former couple began spending time together last week, around the same time Ivanov bought a semi-automatic rifle, according to a court document released Monday.

But Ivanov became jealous and angry when Anna Bui began hanging out with other young men and posting photos on social media, says the affidavit of probable cause outlining the police case against him.

Ivanov is accused of gunning down teenage partygoers early Saturday morning at a house party in Mukilteo.

Killed were Bui, Jake Long and Jordan Ebner. All were 19 and all were 2015 graduates of Mukilteo High School, along with Ivanov.

A fourth teen, 18-year-old Will Kramer, was wounded.

18j7ix.jpg

Back