• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Are we not allowed to bring our guns to the Wake Forest football games anymore ?

So the overall population of the US is 75% white and 13% black and the racial breakdown of mass shooters is 64 white and 19 black? You aren’t really making your case here.

Also, I wonder which causes more deaths in the US per year — white male mass shooters or black guys with guns? I guess black on black murder is no big deal because they were probably criminals anyway?

Well, one of the biggest issues is that many, if not most, guns involved in shootings by African American males are stolen and many, if not most, are out of unlocked cars because some white guys with guns can’t be trusted as responsible gun owners.

I think there was an incident not too long ago where a couple of non-students came on campus and shot some kid in cold blood. So maybe they are trying to look out for people like that? Could also be that Hatch realizes the kid would probably be alive if he hadn’t made a deliberate strategic decision to reduce security. The blood on his hands thing is a bit unsightly.

Wasn't the decreased police presence done in part because of a backlash for over policing parties involving WSSU students a few years prior, resulting in allegations of racism?

Well, one of the biggest issues is that many, if not most, guns involved in shootings by African American males are stolen and many, if not most, are out of unlocked cars because some white guys with guns can’t be trusted as responsible gun owners.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/25/world/americas/one-handgun-9-murders-how-american-firearms-cause-carnage-abroad.html

Not directly on point, but related - this story is about a gun sold to a white guy in NC 20 years ago that ended up taking 9 lives in Jamaica.

Pretty much all guns start out "legal" and are sold to "law abiding gun owners" who may or may not also be "responsible". But there is no way to keep guns out of the hands of bad guys when the entire country is awash in them. A certain percentage of any valuable product, whether it's cars, laptops, jewelry, or guns, will end up stolen or otherwise in a black market and get into the hands of criminals. When there are more guns than people in a country, that means a lot of guns available to steal, or be traded for drugs, or what have you.

High Point University

Steber had bought the guns within the past week and planned to shoot himself and his roommate if Steber didn’t get into a fraternity and the roommate did, Wickline said.

I’m so tired of these pathetic losers.

That's why we need to bring the factories back, so they have something to do

Yep. People like that used to be able to get a good paying job that would help them attract a spouse and start a family. Now they’re incels who hang out online with other incels and they have no idea how to handle the real world.

This particular guy was not destined for factory life. No doubt he was the typical HPU student - child of very wealthy parents (he lived on a street I can't afford) that had no options for a college on the first 4 pages of the USN&WR rankings.

I used to hang out with an HPU guidance counselor. She said the high level of entitlement and the low level of intelligence was pretty epic.

Back