• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

A group is giving away free shotguns in Tuscon.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57576959/arizona-gun-proponents-launch-shotgun-giveaway/

They say:

"The Armed Citizen Project is part of a national campaign to give shotguns to single women and homeowners in the nation's crime-ridden neighborhoods, an effort that comes amid a national debate on gun control after mass shootings in Arizona, Colorado and Connecticut."

The reality is:

"Tucson police officials declined to discuss the gun program or public safety concerns, but statistics published by the department show violent crime was at a 13-year low in 2010, with 3,332 incidents. That compares with 5,116 violent crimes -- including homicides, sexual assaults, and robberies -- in 1997. Tucson averages about 50 homicides a year.

"Just like any other city in Arizona and in the nation we have our issues, but it is not crime-ridden," said Vice Mayor Regina Romero. "I would never say you have to carry a gun or you have to be afraid for your life.""

elkman parrots gun nuts logic on the issue regardless if it makes sense. He's much like those who defended cult leaders like David Koresh and Jim Jones.

elkman parrots gun nuts logic on the issue regardless if it makes sense. He's much like those who defended cult leaders like David Koresh and Jim Jones.

Your assessment of me is about as accurate as your assessment of the Protection of Lawful Commerce Act...

CT is about to enact the toughest gun laws in the nation.

The only people allowed to possess expanded magazines are those who currently own them. You cannot sell or give them to anyone. You will have to register your magazines and include a picture of it. If you are caught with one and it isn't registered it will be a felony.

There will be background checks when for all sales (including gun shows) and when you buy ammo.

There will be a gun criminal registry like the sex offenders registry.

CT is about to enact the toughest gun laws in the nation.

The only people allowed to possess expanded magazines are those who currently own them. You cannot sell or give them to anyone. You will have to register your magazines and include a picture of it. If you are caught with one and it isn't registered it will be a felony.

There will be background checks when for all sales (including gun shows) and when you buy ammo.

There will be a gun criminal registry like the sex offenders registry.

I like it.

Now if they would start making gun owners carry prohibitively expensive liability insurance I'd be happy.

A group is giving away free shotguns in Tuscon.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57576959/arizona-gun-proponents-launch-shotgun-giveaway/

They say:

"The Armed Citizen Project is part of a national campaign to give shotguns to single women and homeowners in the nation's crime-ridden neighborhoods, an effort that comes amid a national debate on gun control after mass shootings in Arizona, Colorado and Connecticut."

The reality is:

"Tucson police officials declined to discuss the gun program or public safety concerns, but statistics published by the department show violent crime was at a 13-year low in 2010, with 3,332 incidents. That compares with 5,116 violent crimes -- including homicides, sexual assaults, and robberies -- in 1997. Tucson averages about 50 homicides a year.

"Just like any other city in Arizona and in the nation we have our issues, but it is not crime-ridden," said Vice Mayor Regina Romero. "I would never say you have to carry a gun or you have to be afraid for your life.""

You realize Arizona is an open carry state, right? You can also conceal carry without a permit.

I like it.

Now if they would start making gun owners carry prohibitively expensive liability insurance I'd be happy.

Glad I don't live in that commie state.

Some Dem lawmakers are proposing that in Congress, where it is destined to fall flat on its face. I do find it curious that for all the talk about "respecting the rights of hunters" (as if the 2nd Amendment was crafted to appease hunters) and "the rights of lawful gun owners" that the true colors really shine through when people talk about taxing the hell out of ammo, or-- as you put it-- pushing "prohibitively expensive liability insurance" to get around that pesky 2nd amendment. The goal, of course, is a de facto ban on gun ownership.

Glad I don't live in that commie state.

Some Dem lawmakers are proposing that in Congress, where it is destined to fall flat on its face. I do find it curious that for all the talk about "respecting the rights of hunters" (as if the 2nd Amendment was crafted to appease hunters) and "the rights of lawful gun owners" that the true colors really shine through when people talk about taxing the hell out of ammo, or-- as you put it-- pushing "prohibitively expensive liability insurance" to get around that pesky 2nd amendment. The goal, of course, is a de facto ban on gun ownership.

I think insurance is a good idea, but if the underlying statute was written to make it "prohibitively expensive" I think it would be unconstitutional. If insurance were required and the free market set the rate, I don't think it would be "prohibitively expensive" because 99% of guns are never used in a crime or accident. One reason I think insurance is a good idea because it would cause the free market to set up background checking and mental health check systems that would be cheaper, more efficient, and more effective than anything the government will ever accomplish. Insurance companies would also quickly develop algorithms to detect when a person is engaging in unusual stockpiling behavior that is often a prelude to the gun massacres.

You realize Arizona is an open carry state, right? You can also conceal carry without a permit.

That's totally irrelevant to the batshit crazy company that is distributing weapons.

Plus the reason they are allegedly doing it is false in that the crime rate has dropped dramatically.

I think insurance is a good idea, but if the underlying statute was written to make it "prohibitively expensive" I think it would be unconstitutional. If insurance were required and the free market set the rate, I don't think it would be "prohibitively expensive" because 99% of guns are never used in a crime or accident. One reason I think insurance is a good idea because it would cause the free market to set up background checking and mental health check systems that would be cheaper, more efficient, and more effective than anything the government will ever accomplish. Insurance companies would also quickly develop algorithms to detect when a person is engaging in unusual stockpiling behavior that is often a prelude to the gun massacres.

It's one thing to argue the merits of insurance, and another for the feds to step in and make it a requirement. They have zero business doing that. And while it would probably not be prohibitively expensive, it would still be an additional, ongoing cost of ownership. In the end, I fail to see what it would do to minimize mass shootings.

As for the background checking and mental health checks, those are still going to run into red tape, particularly the one that is most relevant--mental health checks. When you start delving into peoples' medical histories, problems arise That is the nature of bureaucracy and privacy in this country and it has nothing to do with guns or gun laws.

That's totally irrelevant to the batshit crazy company that is distributing weapons.

Plus the reason they are allegedly doing it is false in that the crime rate has dropped dramatically.

If they're doing it within the confines of the law, WGAF? And it is relevant if the crime rate has dropped dramatically due to Arizona's lax gun laws.

There's absolutely showing any causal relationship between a crime rate dropping and lax gun laws.

There's absolutely showing any causal relationship between a crime rate dropping and lax gun laws.

of course not. Nor is there any evidence pointing to a decrease in the crime rate resulting from Arizona's draconian gun control laws.

You just said AZ has loose gun laws not "draconian" ones.

Back