• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Inherently missing from these posts is the conservative argument that more guns would help the south side of Chicago.

It really does sound ridiculous when the concept is stated like that.

Townie thinks he's a genius but is a dolt. He's a huge fan of gangs and violence so long as they don't involve white people. I mean if I looked like him I'd be angry as fuck too.

New Jersey legislature passed bill limiting clip size to 10 bullets instead of 15. Christie vetoed it and declined to meet with Sandy Hook parents who advocated for the bill. Christie's initial attractiveness was that he was seen as a GOP candidate who would break up the blue state monopoly in the Northeast. Christie's running scared and don't think running as a "me too" conservative is a winning strategy for him. He'll never be trusted as a "true conservative" relative to the rest of the primary field.

New Jersey legislature passed bill limiting clip size to 10 bullets instead of 15. Christie vetoed it and declined to meet with Sandy Hook parents who advocated for the bill. Christie's initial attractiveness was that he was seen as a GOP candidate who would break up the blue state monopoly in the Northeast. Christie's running scared and don't think running as a "me too" conservative is a winning strategy for him. He'll never be trusted as a "true conservative" relative to the rest of the primary field.

My belief is that Christie vetoed the bill because off duty and retired cops were not exempt. Remember, this is the Northeast. NY had to add exemptions to the SAFE Act just for cops. The NJ bill included tube magazine fed guns such as the replica 1866 Henry, which is widely known as a popular drive by weapon preferred by gang members...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_rifle

I forgot to add that the bill would make law abiding citizens felons with the stroke of a pen. No one should agree with that...

If the law changes and you're breaking it you were not law abiding. That was the point. That happens every time a law is passed, it makes a legal activity now illegal

Not really. One day I have a plastic or metal box with a spring in it, another day that same thing means I could be charged with a felony. Does that make sense to you?

That's how laws work. One day something is legal. The next day it isn't.

If the law changes and you're breaking it you were not law abiding. That was the point. That happens every time a law is passed, it makes a legal activity now illegal

And you are OK with a felony charge for inactivity regarding metal and plastic boxes that contain springs?

My belief is that Christie vetoed the bill because off duty and retired cops were not exempt. Remember, this is the Northeast. NY had to add exemptions to the SAFE Act just for cops. The NJ bill included tube magazine fed guns such as the replica 1866 Henry, which is widely known as a popular drive by weapon preferred by gang members...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_rifle

Off-duty is one, but retired cops shouldn't get special privileges for magazine size. Retired soldiers don't get to carry grenades.

Do you agree that one day something is legal, and the next day it is a felony, and that is right?

But officer, it used to be 55, so you can't charge me with going 55 in what's now a 45.

Yes. This is how laws work.

Meh. In the case of tangible possessions or even intangible rights, if the government suddenly outlaws them I'd say that is likely a taking under the 5th amendment and the people who bought the goods when they were legal are entitled to compensation.

Not sure that drawing analogies to possibly the most epic (non-violent) failure in the history of human governance is the best way to make your point. Prohibition was entirely different, because if you acquired the alcohol the day before the 18th amendment was ratified (actually, up to 364 days after the date of ratification) it was perfectly legal to continue to possess and consume it. You just couldn't legally manufacture, buy, sell, or import any more of it. The situation here - as elkman describes it, I don't know how accurate it is - is that one day you own a magazine, and the next day it is illegal to own or use that magazine. Not the same at all.

Back