• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

No, you are really need to read the book. Racism existed in liberals and conservatives in a much more virulent way even in the recent past. Even many abolishionists didn't want desegregation and many liberal bastions feared blacks would steal jobs (this should should familiar in this campaign). There is a reason the union North and Democratic one party white south were able to hold together for decades.

After the Civil War, the Court was cowed by the power of the Congress and Presidency. It did little to effect change until mass opinion began to change. World War II and Jackie Robinson ended up pushing opinion and without them Brown v. Board of Education would have never been possible. I'm not rationalizing anything, but you should see the fights that occurred before today. These are petty differences to rally supporters than the true repression efforts of the past. We fight on margins so parties can indeed invoke race to rally votes. This stuff should be settled with legitimate compromise - if you fear fraud make it free and easy to obtain voter ID for anyone over 50 or who has resided here for their lives.

Read the book. Racism today is far less than before. But that doesn't mean it isn't a problem. The context is this is a workable non-partisan solution, which hasn't been tried.

You need an ID for Medicare. To buy booze. To get a pack of smokes. To pick up your tickets at will call. To drive. To pick up your mail. To make a purchase on a credit or debit card. To pick up you kid from school. To go to the doctor. To get car insurance. To enroll in any college. This isn't racism, it's common sense applied in many areas.

Also, the book is largely before Jim Crow. What the hell did they teach you at Duke? No stats and no history seems a pretty shitty education.

Last edited:
If anything putting forth overtly racist laws today is far worse than it was a hundred years ago. allegedly, we have grown past legislated racism. It's considered much worse if you do something wrong that everyone knows is wrong versus doing something wrong that society accepts.

If you are twelve and do something, it's one thing. If you do the same thing,when you are twenty-one, it may have repercussions.

You are simply wrong, and the court agreed, that this law is racist.

You need an ID for Medicare. To buy booze. To get a pack of smokes. To pick up your tickets at will call. To drive. To pick up your mail. To make a purchase on a credit or debit card. To pick up you kid from school. To go to the doctor. To get car insurance. To enroll in any college. This isn't racism, it's common sense applied in many areas.

Which of those are rights guaranteed by the Constitution?

I assumed a book titled From Jim Crow to Civil Rights would cover the period from Jim Crow to the Civil Rights movement.

I apologize for getting that wrong.

You're learning the wrong lessons from history, Mf. The goal is equality. Only the most naive believe that a few government interventions can stifle racism for the long term without considerable organized resistance by those who do not want equality.

Your view is disturbingly simplistic and I even doubt it accurately reflects the intent of the author.

I've read a lot about world war 2. That Holocaust thing was really, really bad. Still think it's imperative to push back on the much more minor (comparatively) anti Semitism still around today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've read a lot about world war 2. That Holocaust thing was really, really bad. Still think it's imperative to push back on the much more minor (comparatively) anti Semitism still around today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The holocaust? I've heard people say it didn't really happen. I didn't say that, but I've heard people saying that.

No, you are really need to read the book. Racism existed in liberals and conservatives in a much more virulent way even in the recent past. Even many abolishionists didn't want desegregation and many liberal bastions feared blacks would steal jobs (this should should familiar in this campaign). There is a reason the union North and Democratic one party white south were able to hold together for decades.

After the Civil War, the Court was cowed by the power of the Congress and Presidency. It did little to effect change until mass opinion began to change. World War II and Jackie Robinson ended up pushing opinion and without them Brown v. Board of Education would have never been possible. I'm not rationalizing anything, but you should see the fights that occurred before today. These are petty differences to rally supporters than the true repression efforts of the past. We fight on margins so parties can indeed invoke race to rally votes. This stuff should be settled with legitimate compromise - if you fear fraud make it free and easy to obtain voter ID for anyone over 50 or who has resided here for their lives.

Read the book. Racism today is far less than before. But that doesn't mean it isn't a problem. The context is this is a workable non-partisan solution, which hasn't been tried.

Also, the book is largely before Jim Crow. What the hell did they teach you at Duke? No stats and no history seems a pretty shitty education.

I know there are people who feel differently, but I am not against needing an ID to vote. If the law had simply focused on that as a whole instead of all the other stuff that it jammed in there then it wouldn't have been a problem.

Voting fraud occurs at a very, very low rate, but I still understand why somebody should need to show some form of identification to vote. If we could focus on a way to make getting that ID easier, instead of making it an impediment to vote that specifically targets people of lower SES status, that would be an ideal next step.

Voting seems like one of those things that the process moves backwards instead of forwards with technology. It should be extremely simple to vote this century but we make it extremely difficult. This is the same with obtaining IDs, in GA to get your secure ID you need two bills with your address on it, ok not bad. Then you need two of a passport ( if you don't have an ID you sure as hell don't have a passport), original social security card (a small flimsy piece of paper from when you were born, easily lost), and your original birth certificate (also easily lost, or takes more time and money to obtain). It's a damn hassle for a responsibly well of white guy to get an ID let alone the poor and not together.

I'm guessing very soon after Hillary win that new Supreme Court will strike down all of these new voter ID laws. What will be interesting to see is if they could use the laws to re-institute the VRA. Along with CU, two of the worst decisions in the past seventy-five years.

Why do you have to register to vote? Why aren't you just automatically registered when you turn 18 and if there is some issue with it there is a framework to get registered as quickly as possible? Seems like it would be far more efficient and cost-effective to do it this way.

Why do you have to register to vote? Why aren't you just automatically registered when you turn 18 and if there is some issue with it there is a framework to get registered as quickly as possible? Seems like it would be far more efficient and cost-effective to do it this way.

Some states tried automatic registration with a driver's license.

In nearly forty states, you can register online. Most you can also register by mail.

Auto registration is in the democratic platform, I believe.

I'm not exactly clear about how auto-registration would work. If you don't have government ID, how can you be automatically registered?

Same thing with the draft. I had to like fill out a form.

Back