• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

I see the first pro-HB2 comment at the bottom of the article is labeled as someone affiliated with Wake Forest....last name Strickland....a poster, perhaps?

I know a strickland affiliated with Wake Forest. Could be someone who posts on the boards. Could be.

Obviously this bill is proposed by a legislator with no knowledge of existing law, as this review would take about 30 seconds to conclude that, no, neither the NCAA nor ACC did anything improper.

Would said legislator like to open up this review to Franklin Graham's church? That would be a much more interesting analysis.

Obviously this bill is proposed by a legislator with no knowledge of existing law, as this review would take about 30 seconds to conclude that, no, neither the NCAA nor ACC did anything improper.

Would said legislator like to open up this review to Franklin Graham's church? That would be a much more interesting analysis.

The guy was on Raleigh sports radio Wednesday evening defending his "interesting" bill, it was hilarious. He actually thought that by removing the tax-exempt status of the ACC and NCAA through this bill, that it would force them to renew doing business in North Carolina again.....it was the definition of a triple face palm interview.

Huh? How did he explain how that made sense to him?

Huh? How did he explain how that made sense to him?

Yeah, exactly. The hosts were like "if you succeed in stripping their tax-exempt status, I promise you they will never set foot in North Carolina again", and the representative just laughed them off.

I have tried my best to ignore Sen. Phil Berger’s response to Gov. Roy Cooper’s State of the State address. Last week, in an effort to bolster waning self-control, I even threw away my initial copy of the text. Out of sight, I figured, out of mind. But, as Justice Scalia once wrote, it’s sometimes necessary to “respond to arguments (so) outrageous (that) it is beyond human nature to leave (them) unanswered.”

Gov. Cooper’s address, as is his wont, was a call for “common ground” – urging cooperation and the recognition of shared interest in pursuit of a bolstered future. In reply, Berger angrily informed “the Left’s new champion” who had merely “squeaked into office” that there would “be no retreat to (your) troubled past.” Cooper could place the proffered olive branch in some locus unlikely to enjoy the benefit of sunlight. Being the most powerful man in North Carolina has, apparently, not improved the senator’s geniality.

Berger’s address was a paean to the last six years of Republican legislative rule. The senator and his colleagues have transformed North Carolina with one bold, path-breaking and courageous measure after another. Their entire revolutionary “platform,” Berger instructed, was guided by a maxim from Henry David Thoreau: “That government is best which governs least.” I know you think I’m joking.

This is the General Assembly that inserted itself between a woman and her doctor, demanding an unneeded or even psychologically harmful sonogram, before obtaining an abortion. The doctor was then to display the unwanted image in her patient’s face and repeat a legislatively mandated script in her ear, in a statist crusade to persuade, or coerce, or intimidate, or terrify her from the exercise of her constitutional rights.

Berger and his colleagues decreed that lesbians and gay men can’t marry their chosen partners and, later, that government officials can discriminate against them when the mood strikes. They introduced an endless cascade of hurdles to make it harder to vote. And, of course, they inserted policemen, birth certificates and genitalia inspections into our bathroom regimens. Berger’s idea of “governing least” has made North Carolina a laughing stock across the globe and a shunned, boycotted pariah here at home. If Thoreau were alive, he’d drown himself in Walden Pond.

Berger next proclaimed that he had ushered in a new era of political candor. These truth-telling legislators are “crystal clear” about their goals and policies and they “immediately” set out to do “exactly what they said they’d do.” Indeed.

Actually, they enacted the nation’s harshest voter suppression law to stop literally non-existent voter fraud. Even with Pat McCrory’s gubernatorial race on the line, with party officials casting humiliating aspersions at their own electoral commission partisans, no trace of abuse could be found. Still, they cling to the lie. HB2 protected against fanciful and disproven transgender assault. Local elections were upended in the falsified name of democracy. Even their claim to be tax cutters is mostly untrue – as they raise the bill for low and middle income Tar Heels in toadyish service to the very rich. They govern via perjury, not probity. They are truth tellers in exactly the same sense their president is.

But, I must concede, even these farcical and absurdist Berger claims pale in comparison, in terms of brashness, to his concluding crescendo. There, Berger deemed it essential that he and his lot stand tall to thwart the “divisiveness and hyper-partisanship” of Roy Cooper. Good Lord.

Our notorious General Assembly has re-structured, and often dismantled, crucial institutions and safeguards of our judicial system, our electoral and legislative processes, our administrative and enforcement mechanisms, our local governments, our universities and community colleges, our non-profit and civil sectors, our public schools, and even our corporate establishments, simply to secure partisan advantage. All has fallen, in the Berger era, before an imposed tidal wave of partisanship. Nothing matters, it is clear, except Republican ascendancy. You would think Berger’s charges would have literally turned to ashes in his mouth.

And all this is necessary, apparently, because some misbegotten miscreants have had the temerity to get in Berger’s way. They have, he says, “ginned up great controversy and false outrage, organized vulgar rallies and protests, disrupted public meetings, attempted to sabotage the state’s economy and put regular North Carolinians out of business.” My my.

So Berger’s indignant. Is he ever. He demands submission – from Cooper, from his adversaries, from the people of North Carolina. But we’re Tar Heels. He ain’t gonna get it.

Gene Nichol is Boyd Tinsley distinguished professor of law at the University of North Carolina.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article140225553.html#storylink=cpy

Voters casting ballots for judges next year will know the political parties of the candidates.

Republicans who control the General Assembly say that gives voters helpful information. Democrats say it politicizes the courts.

House Bill 100 makes Superior Court and District Court elections partisan, completing a change that the legislature began with appellate courts including the state Supreme Court.

On Thursday, the state Senate with little discussion overrode Gov. Roy Cooper’s veto of HB 100 by a vote of 32-15, with two Republicans voting against the override: Sen. John Alexander of Raleigh and Sen. Danny Earl Britt of Robeson County. The House had voted 77-44 the day before to override the veto.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...-politics/article140327188.html#storylink=cpy

Gerrymander judicial districts because, "The more power the Republican Party acquires in North Carolina, the more it craves. GOP leaders still had the upper hand when a Democrat reclaimed the governor’s office but nevertheless moved swiftly and ruthlessly to undercut his power in every way possible.

What Republican leaders seek is one-party rule. If they are allowed take control of the courts by holding Supreme Court appointments hostage, gerrymandering judicial districts and dragging judicial elections into the realm of partisan politics, they will have achieved it.

Upending the balance of power between the branches of government endangers democracy. Politicizing the judiciary will be the end of it altogether."

http://www.greensboro.com/blogs/aro...68e-ade4-20c696b3267c.html?platform=hootsuite

AP analysis shows HB2 will cost NC $3.76B over 12 years.

RALEIGH, N.C. - Despite Republican assurances that North Carolina's "bathroom bill" isn't hurting the economy, the law limiting LGBT protections will cost the state more than $3.76 billion in lost business over a dozen years, according to an Associated Press analysis.

Over the past year, North Carolina has suffered financial hits ranging from scuttled plans for a PayPal facility that would have added an estimated $2.66 billion to the state's economy to a canceled Ringo Starr concert that deprived a town's amphitheater of about $33,000 in revenue. The blows have landed in the state's biggest cities as well as towns surrounding its flagship university, and from the mountains to the coast.

North Carolina could lose hundreds of millions more because the NCAA is avoiding the state, usually a favored host. The group is set to announce sites for various championships through 2022, and North Carolina won't be among them as long as the law is on the books. The NAACP also has initiated a national economic boycott.

The AP analysis (http://apne.ws/2n9GSjE ) — compiled through interviews and public records requests — represents the largest reckoning yet of how much the law, passed one year ago, could cost the state. The law excludes gender identity and sexual orientation from statewide antidiscrimination protections, and requires transgender people to use restrooms corresponding to the sex on their birth certificates in many public buildings.

Still, AP's tally ( http://bit.ly/2o9Dzdd ) is likely an underestimation of the law's true costs. The count includes only data obtained from businesses and state or local officials regarding projects that canceled or relocated because of HB2. A business project was counted only if AP determined through public records or interviews that HB2 was why it pulled out.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...-politics/article140966868.html#storylink=cpy

Big political stunt pulled by Berger and Moore last night (mainly Berger) on HB2 repeal. Called a news conference to present their agreement to a compromise that they said was offered by Cooper last week. Said they called Cooper on the way to the way to the press conference and that Cooper denied that he had ever agreed to such compromise. Berger provides press with a flimsy email chain between a bunch of lawyers as proof.

“The governor made a proposal late last week that we are prepared to agree to in principle,” Berger told reporters. “We called the governor on the way down here to let him know we agreed, but he now denies that he ever made the proposal, so we’ve got to figure out where we are.”

The proposal would repeal HB2 but would ban local governments, universities and school boards from setting bathroom access policies similar to the Charlotte nondiscrimination ordinance that prompted HB2.

It also includes a provision to “protect the rights of conscience,” which would allow lawsuits against the state for anyone who believes their constitutional rights are threatened by government action. That provision has drawn comparisons to Indiana’s controversial Religious Freedom Restoration Act, but Moore rejects that description.

Cooper’s spokesman issued a statement Tuesday evening indicating that no final deal was made with legislative leaders.

“It’s frustrating that Republican leaders are more interested in political stunts than negotiating a compromise to repeal HB2,” spokesman Ford Porter said. “While Gov. Cooper continues to work for a compromise, there are still issues to be worked out, and Republican leaders’ insistence on including an Indiana-style RFRA provision remains a deal-breaker. Any compromise must work to end discrimination, repair our reputation, and bring back jobs and sports, and a RFRA is proven to do just the opposite.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/article141326748.html

They're allowing a law that lacks enforcement cost the state billions.

Rev. Mark Creech of the conservative Christian Action League argued that Sunday morning drinking is disrespectful to the religious community. “I think I speak for a lot of pastors when I say we have to deal constantly with people whose lives have been ruined by alcohol sales or abuse of alcohol,” he said. “There’s a sort of tacit disrespect here for the people I represent – that during the primary time that we’re meeting, you’re going to allow sales.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...-politics/article141459409.html#storylink=cpy

Cram it down your cram-hole, Rev. Creech. It's not of your business.

Back