• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Hispanic voters are trending red, so if you're looking to demographics to explain that shift, that's not it. That's urbanization at work, and likely migration of Californians/New Yorkers fleeing the governments in those States. That obviously hurts Republicans in Texas but you don't have to win by much to win, and with 25/38 of Congresspeople, 2/2 Senators, 1/1 Governors and as you point out an unbroken string of supporting GOP candidates for President, that will do.

You say democrats are fleeing democratic governments to go to a red state that is getting redder?

This is the NC thread. "heavy gerrymandering" isn't present on the current maps. There isn't, for example, even an allegation that race plays a factor in any district, which stands in stark contrast to maps submitted by both parties in our lifetimes. What is the legal basis to challenge the current maps?

It would take heavy gerrymandering to achieve the balance you all desire based upon the overall statewide affiliation. You can't win Chapel Hill twice, and the clustering of Dems into their safe spaces creates pockets indivisible other than by heavy gerrymandering, and I thought you guys were against that.

eta: I recommend that pod for NC pol stuff. I think that guy is fair and his guests are usually pretty interesting people. It's not a localized version of the national shouting contests piped into everyone's iPhones.

Which is it? Democrats are clustering to their safe spaces or they are fleeing to red states?

Democratic "safe spaces"......also known as cities where most of the good jobs are.

Versus, what?

Give Charlotte, Winston-Guilford, and Raleigh their own Congressperson? Cool. Throw in a bonus one for Chapel Hill-Durham, and one more just to go crazy. That's a 9-5 map. Is that what you want?
Senator Chaduri(spelling) presented a map that was 7 repub leans, 6 dem leans and 1 tossup district. It can be done. Obviously Senator Hise had no desire to consider it.

Cawthorn switching districts. Will run in the district centered around Shelby that many thought Tim Moore would be running in. District runs from west side of Charlotte to the middle of nowhere in the mountains.

Cawthorn switching districts. Will run in the district centered around Shelby that many thought Tim Moore would be running in. District runs from west side of Charlotte to the middle of nowhere in the mountains.

Scoop !

Is he trying to avoid running against someone? Still scared of trees?

Says he's trying to keep the seat out of the hands of an establishment Republican. He'll also get more coverage as a congressman from Meck Co.

Says he's trying to keep the seat out of the hands of an establishment Republican. He'll also get more coverage as a congressman from Meck Co.

The greater publicity angle certainly fits, as the only part of the job he seems to care about is the publicity and celebrity status he gets from seeing himself on the news and being talked about in social media. It is hilarious that he torpedoed the expected announcement of House Speaker Tim Moore that he would run for the seat. I've read that the district was basically drawn for Moore to be its Congressman (he's from Cleveland County), and now Cawthorn has ruined it for him. Too bad.

Cawthorn is big on “mountain values.” They got a lot of mountain values in Meck?

At least it exposed Moore as a coward. He won’t even try to compete in the safe space drawn for him.

Cawthorn is big on “mountain values.” They got a lot of mountain values in Meck?

Local Republicans are not happy.

But some did speak publicly, and others raised concerns about whether Cawthorn truly understands suburban and urban conservatives, and whether his support would come from locals versus outside PACs. “He’s a joke, and unfortunately as a resident of the 13th District I don’t want the joke to be on us,” said Charles Jeter, a Republican former state representative and Huntersville town board member. “A lot of folks in the Republican Party recognize that, frankly, if Madison Cawthorn is the future of the Republican Party then the Republican Party doesn’t have a future.”

Matthew Ridenhour, a former Republican member of the Mecklenburg County Board of County Commissioners, said on Twitter that Cawthorn’s video was “an insult to the people of the 13th.” “Voters in the new 13th don’t need some savior swooping in to rescue them from themselves,” he wrote. Stacy Phillips, a town board member in Huntersville, said that among many local Republicans and unaffiliated voters, Cawthorn’s entry into the district has been “the talking point.” “Everyone I’ve spoken to thus far is really unhappy and uncomfortable that he made this move,” said Phillips, a former Republican who is now unaffiliated. “You don’t even live here and you need to save us? That’s not OK.”

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article255762386.html#storylink=cpy

So Cawthorn is running in the 13th. The district is solidly Republican, and probably an easier win for a Republican than the district he's leaving behind. Again I'll point out that Meck Co will be less well represented as a result of this map's adoption.

cst-13.PNG

Local Republicans are not happy.

Do they not realize they can just defeat him in a primary?

I guess anti-democracy Republicans practice what they preach.

Do they not realize they can just defeat him in a primary?

I guess anti-democracy Republicans practice what they preach.

They can't. Or at least it would be very difficult. I don't know exactly how many of the constituents reside in Mecklenburg County, but it's a lot less than in Gaston and Cleveland, which is Trumpworld.

Sounds like they have to make their choice between crazy fascist or Democrat.

No spoilers, please.

They can't. Or at least it would be very difficult. I don't know exactly how many of the constituents reside in Mecklenburg County, but it's a lot less than in Gaston and Cleveland, which is Trumpworld.

Well Tim Moore or whoever just needs to go into Trumpworld and convince them that he's a better option. You know, democracy.

Back