• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Anyone whoever thought the Tea Party should be allowed to run so much as a condo board association needs to review this thread on a weekly basis. NC is the proving ground for everything tragically ridiculous on the fringe right.

It's almost hard to read. I've never seen such an ongoing, blatant, unapologetically hypocritical regime. This is a state being directly and publicly sold in digestible chunks to special interests, while operating to protects its own grip on power like a Central American military junta.

In the interest of keeping this thread "fair and balanced" :) - I thought this letter to the editor was pretty good today.

Chuck Winfree
I read with interest former Secretary of Cultural Resources Linda Carlisle’s complaint (letter, Aug. 24) about the governor’s selecting “two young men” to high-level positions in his administration. I hesitate to dwell on her unique position to comment on ethical matters in light of her raising $500,000 for Mike Easley, our only felonious governor.
She is no doubt concerned about these young men’s salary in light their limited governmental experience. I assume that because her salary under the Perdue administration was $117,000, she is concerned that $85,000 is too little to pay a political hack. Or perhaps she thinks such salaries should only be awarded to big contributors like her.

Regarding her experience before her appointment to high office, she is to be commended for her ability to raise tremendous sums for Easley, Beverly Perdue and the Democratic Party. Did that make her more qualified than the career employees within the Department of Cultural Resources to serve as secretary?
I agree that we should not use the ethical standards of the Easley and Perdue campaigns and administrations to judge the current administration. However, we should allow Gov. McCrory, like previous governors, leeway to appoint those in whom he has confidence, understanding that he is responsible for the results.
Chuck Winfree
Greensboro

Chuck is a mensch.

I think this guy may have a future...in NC: Saudi cleric warns driving could damage women's ovaries

Hey, it's science he's talkin'.

Sort of like these guys: NC fracking commissioners vow to relax state water testing standard

Quote:
----------
"What we’re doing is trying to inoculate the population against a disease that doesn’t exist,” Commissioner Charles Holbrook said. “The science does not support even the possibility that hydraulic fracturing fluid can migrate that far out from the well – it can’t happen.”

"We all know this,” Commissioner George Howard said. “A lot of this stuff is like Bigfoot regulation – he doesn’t exist.”
----------

Thanks, NC Pubs for redistricting: Architect of the brink: Meet the man behind the government shutdown

Quote:
----------
Meadows represents a conservative constituency. He was elected in 2012 and succeeded Democrat Heath Shuler, who decided not to run for reelection after the latest round of redistricting made the district swing heavily Republican.
----------

Of course, the TPers are about to wet themselves with glee if'n the dang gubmint shuts down.

Compared to Cruz, Peter King is a combination of Jefferson, Clay, Teddy, FDR and a few other giants.

Thanks, NC Pubs for redistricting: Architect of the brink: Meet the man behind the government shutdown

Quote:
----------
Meadows represents a conservative constituency. He was elected in 2012 and succeeded Democrat Heath Shuler, who decided not to run for reelection after the latest round of redistricting made the district swing heavily Republican.
----------

Of course, the TPers are about to wet themselves with glee if'n the dang gubmint shuts down.

Shutting down the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Great Smokey Mountains National Park during leaf season is a nice kick in the teeth for the mountain economy.

"The Senate for the first time is having to vote ... on Obamacare," Meadows said. "That's why we had to do this."

There was that one time where the Senate passed the bill.

Quote:
----------
----------

If the GOP lets it get that far, you could see the pendulum that swung to the right in 2010 following Obamacare swing right back to the left in 2014.

Deadbolt, because of Obama's failure in 2010 to adequately to get the vote out, many of the competitive districts were re-drawn making them un-competitive. The best he can hope for it to take back a good number of the suburban districts around Top 20 cities.

Deadbolt, because of Obama's failure in 2010 to adequately to get the vote out, many of the competitive districts were re-drawn making them un-competitive. The best he can hope for it to take back a good number of the suburban districts around Top 20 cities.

Yeah, I understand about the districts being re-drawn...but if in NC, where the Dems held serve for a centurty, Obamacare was enough to finally swing control to the right, then this shutdown could possibly bring a little balance back to the state. I'm no expert at all, though, so I could be completely wrong...it just seems people are really tiring of this nonsense from the House, and you wonder how much that ends up affecting local races in the mid-terms.

Meadows is also the one who pissed his pants when the Blue Ridge Parkway put up signs that the visitor centers and campgrounds would open later than usual because of the sequestration budget cuts.

Not being like those states used to be a source of pride for North Carolinians.

8b892a40f94e013015b1001dd8b71c47

I don't know about the rest of the state, but it won't make a bit of difference in Randolph County. In this county, if the Virgin Mary ran on the Democratic ticket she wouldn't get more than 30% of the vote. I could run as a Democrat and you could run as a Republican and you would win by a landslide....or I could run as a Republican and you could run as a Democrat and I would win by a landslide.

Well she did get knocked up before she was married. She was homeless and known to have slept in stables. No right minded Republican would vote for such a person.

Back