• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

I don't think anyone has ever come out of the house as a congressman to be President and I am pretty sure Ryan will not be the first. Were it me and I had serious executive aspirations, I'd run for Walker's Governorship and take that. Although were he to lose, his political career is over.

James Garfield was the last POTUS elected directly from the House (1880). Polk was Governor after being Speaker when he was elected in 1844. History doesn't bode well for Ryan.

Walker's terrible, but he's never had to run in November during a presidential year in WI. Both Walker and Ryan could probably win in 2018. Doubt either will ever be POTUS, but Ryan is much better than Walker. If he really wants to be President, an interim stint in the Senate or Governor would be preferable to a rocky 4 years as Speaker.

Senate Candidate Promises ‘Kool Aid, KFC and Watermelons’ at Harlem Campaign Event

The Republican candidate said there is nothing offensive about his planned event

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...ried-Chicken-Watermelon-Racist-396668921.html

A candidate for New York State Senate has sparked a firestorm in Harlem after telling NBC 4 New York's I-Team he was planning to hand out “Kool Aid, KFC and watermelons” at a campaign event in the primarily black community.
Jon Girodes, the Republican candidate for New York’s 30th District in the November election, used the racially stereotypical food reference in an email to the I-Team during an exchange about a disputed real estate deal.
“What I think is anyone who gives free food to people is doing them a favor,” Girodes told the I-Team. “Get a bunch of people who say it’s offensive and let me go into their neighborhood and give it out for free and see if they take it.”

I think HRC might prefer a Freedom Caucus Speaker. Ryan can't work with her anyway and she'd look better going against those idiots all the time instead of someone of Ryan's intelligence and stature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it naive of me to think that a Ryan-led House with Clinton in the executive may actually be able to get something done?

Yes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Think that all depends on what the House looks like after the election...like how many of the Freedom Fools are still around.

Is it naive of me to think that a Ryan-led House with Clinton in the executive may actually be able to get something done?

It's very unlikely. Even if Ryan wants to try to work with Clinton, he will face a rebellion on Day One from a very large contingent of his members who now see him as a traitor who stabbed The Donald in the back. They'll all have their TrumpCards in their back pockets beside their copy of the Constitution.

i don't get into the political prediction game very often, but I think we're in for 2 years of gridlock. Then we have the midterms. I think the GOP will be in a full on meltdown for the next two years, but due to gerrymandering and more Dem senate seats to defend, the GOP will control Congress again from 2018-2020. Then it will be the same story as the last 8 years, refusing to give the Dem president anything like a victory in the 2 years running up to the 2020 presidential election. Clinton is better at cross-the-aisle politics than Obama, but as Bibi Netanyahu would say, you need a willing partner to make peace.

At what point do people start to realize that most of the people around Trump, including Trump, just have no respect for women at all?

At what point do people start to realize that most of the people around Trump, including Trump, just have no respect for women at all?

If you're a Trump supporter? Never.

Highly relevant article: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/trump-at-war/504068/

I mean, this is just sad:

"He's a man, OK?" says Brown's friend Kim Cady, a 54-year-old housekeeper who wears her gray-brown hair feathered around her face. "Men are going to grab and grope. Somebody with that much money can grab your butt, big whoop. He didn't rape anybody or have extramarital affairs." Her favorite part of the last debate was when Trump told Clinton she would be in jail if he was president.

As the GOP lady said in her tweetstorm, you can only support Trump if you are a man with no respect for women, or a woman with no respect for yourself.

Trump can't stand to lose, so if he does lose, he needs someone to blame. If it's close - election fraud and a rigged system. If it is not close - sounds like he's going with Republicans. Which puts Republicans currently in races in a tough spot. If you shun Trump, you may lose the votes of the Trump supporters. Embrace him, and you may lose the votes of moderates.

Pat Toomey has gone the "do neither" route, which is effective but only works if Trump doesn't notice you.

It's getting more and more difficult for Republicans to claim they aren't the party who hates minorities and women. At the very least, they have to accept that minorities and women don't feel the love from Republicans.

Back