• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

It was a BS impeachment only because they couldn’t’t find anything on Biden. I am absolutely good with this crap GOP horseshit being rejected. Yet again the GOP is rutte less and a bunch of fools…Period!

Mainline MAGA Republicans upset that far right MAGA Republicans get all the power and credit for obstructing the business of the House want to change the rules to make it more difficult to oust the speaker.

Geez.

“The bills, which head to the full House, are part of a broad effort by Republicans to weaken labor unions and strengthen employers' hands in Louisiana. They are aligned with steps other Republican-led legislatures have taken in recent years, and on Thursday, GOP lawmakers attributed the moves to Gov. Jeff Landry's directive to "reform" the business environment and remove bureaucratic red tape.

First-term state Rep. Roger Wilder, R-Denham Springs, who sponsored the child labor measure and owns Smoothie King franchises across the Deep South, said he filed the bill in part because children want to work without having to take lunch breaks. He questioned why Louisiana has the requirement while other states where he owns Smoothie King locations, such as Mississippi, don't have them, and criticized people who have questioned the bill's purpose.

“The wording is ‘We’re here to harm children.’ Give me a break," he said. "These are young adults.”

The committee approved his bill 10-3.”

Bureaucratic red tape like allowing children to eat lunch.

“These are young adults” is some child predator logic.

Republican Jesus strikes again!
Yep. I'm sure that the good Rep. Wilder probably goes to church almost every Sunday and sees no conflict between his faith and what he's doing in his business or in his political career. Jesus loved children, but Wilder exploiting them in his business is totally different and has nothing to do with Jesus or his religious faith. Really.

Last edited:
Not a surprise at this point, but yet another GOP candidate has apparently lied about large portions of his background and life experience. PA GOP Senate candidate David McCormick has repeatedly told campaign rallies and reporters that he grew up on his family's farm in rural PA - “I spent most of my life in Pennsylvania, growing up in Bloomsburg on my family’s farm,” McCormick, now a Republican candidate for Senate, told Pittsburgh Quarterly in 2022." He told another audience that “I grew up on a family farm from the time I was a kid." He's also repeatedly claimed that he "started with nothing" in life and that when he was young he "didn't have anything."

"But interviews in McCormick’s hometown, as well as a review of public records, news coverage from his childhood and his own words, suggest that he has given a misleading impression about key aspects of his background...In fact, McCormick is the son of a well-regarded college president who later became chancellor of higher education systems in Pennsylvania and Minnesota. He largely grew up in the president’s sprawling hilltop residence, which students called the president’s mansion, at what is now Bloomsburg University." His father earned the equivalent of a $200,000 salary today, and while his parents did own a farm near the college, it was hardly a typical farm - his mother raised Arabian horses there. Several people interviewed in the article stated that he "had a very privileged childhood" and that he was in no way poor or disadvantaged.

Not a surprise at this point, but yet another GOP candidate has apparently lied about large portions of his background and life experience. PA GOP Senate candidate David McCormick has repeatedly told campaign rallies and reporters that he grew up on his family's farm in rural PA - “I spent most of my life in Pennsylvania, growing up in Bloomsburg on my family’s farm,” McCormick, now a Republican candidate for Senate, told Pittsburgh Quarterly in 2022." He told another audience that “I grew up on a family farm from the time I was a kid." He's also repeatedly claimed that he "started with nothing" in life and that when he was young he "didn't have anything."

"But interviews in McCormick’s hometown, as well as a review of public records, news coverage from his childhood and his own words, suggest that he has given a misleading impression about key aspects of his background...In fact, McCormick is the son of a well-regarded college president who later became chancellor of higher education systems in Pennsylvania and Minnesota. He largely grew up in the president’s sprawling hilltop residence, which students called the president’s mansion, at what is now Bloomsburg University." His father earned the equivalent of a $200,000 salary today, and while his parents did own a farm near the college, it was hardly a typical farm - his mother raised Arabian horses there. Several people interviewed in the article stated that he "had a very privileged childhood" and that he was in no way poor or disadvantaged.

He did start with nothing. He didn’t get his trust fund until he turned 18!

The best part is that he put out a whole long defensive tweet-storm before the story came out, which only ensured that more people would read the story.

Apparently calmly pointing out lies and asking for clarification is "getting nasty."

Another issue in the campaign already is that he apparently lives most of the time in Connecticut and not Pennsylvania, which has raised the whole carpetbagger issue, as with Dr. Oz when he ran for the Senate in PA. I also love his response that "Does she know I’m running against a career politician who’s been riding his father’s political coattails for three decades?" That's not a response to her questions, it's just deflection and classic bosiding - "but my Democratic opponent is rich and well-connected too!" I've not seen him disprove her accusations anywhere yet - all he's doing is trying to deflect and switch attention to his opponent.

The one saving grace of Congressional Republicans is that they hate each other almost as much as they hate Democrats. And who can blame them - they're mostly a loathsome, contemptable lot.

Yep. I'm sure that the good Rep. Wilder probably goes to church almost every Sunday and sees no conflict between his faith and what he's doing in his business or in his political career. Jesus loved children, but Wilder exploiting them in his business is totally different and has nothing to do with Jesus or his religious faith. Really.
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.” He added, "but the teenagers? Hinder them all you want, not that they'd ever look up from their phones long enough to come to me anyway, AMIRITE?" - Matthew 19:14-15

Back