• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

The lack of HS scrimmages really makes recruiting tough. I used to run hundreds of them.

My team is fine. Good win against the previously undefeated Jackson Five. It’s taken awhile to get my C10 All-Rookie SF going. He averaged 10.4 pts, 3.6 ast last year on 47/40/73 shooting. He had a slow start going 1-8 and 1-9 in his first two games. But he's 10-18 over the last 3.

My big problem is PG. I usually just try to get a PG out of the net. I maxed a 6-4 PG two cycles ago. PG for a back to back 20+ win HS team. Good ratings and stats. He's averaging 2.4 ast, 2.4 stls, and 2.4 turnovers this season. He averaged 4.4 ast last season. My SF and PF lead the team in assists. My PGs and bSF (recruited as a PG) all have an ast:to ratio of 1 or below. Even my Fair Hands bPF has more assists per game than my bPG and bSF.

I've thought about moving the SF to PG and the PF to SF but it would hurt my bench size. Maybe next year if one of my big recruits work out. I don't know if there is still a 6-7 PG penalty.

Last edited:
ROFL... I should have not coached seasons ago.... 5-0 ranked #7 without a lick of effort...

Apparently the CPU's lineup at the start of the season IS your best lineup. I left it to see and it's been crazy good.

ROFL... I should have not coached seasons ago.... 5-0 ranked #7 without a lick of effort...

Apparently the CPU's lineup at the start of the season IS your best lineup. I left it to see and it's been crazy good.

This may be the biggest breakthrough we've had.

1-4 start for Durham. Talent-wise, I should be improving on last year's 14-10 team. Graduated ~200 class and brought in a ~40 class. SoS is #115, so not the schedule. Ranked #195. Got Myrtle Beach next, so expecting another L. Really frustrated with FT%. Without HS Scrimmages, I got a team of bad FT shooters, and in college they are shooting even worse than their HS days - like 20% worse, and almost across the entire team. This is just not realistic.

He really does need to change the %'s on the FT's ASAP. They are terrible.

Rebounds are a mess, too, in regards to stats-to-ratings disconnect. In the test league, I recruited a 6'8" SF who was Good scout Poor- in rebounds. Fine. But his HS stats in rebounds were through the roof. The SF average for rebounds was 5.0 (sample over 3 seasons, so no small sample size), and the standard deviation was .9. This Good Poor- recruit pulled down 7 rpg, 2 standard deviations above average for the position. He comes in as None rebounding. Really? A guy with NO rebounding ability whatsoever, averages 2 standard deviations above average in the statistic? So he had a magical season where every ball just came right to him? As a coach, what am I to believe? Will he generate similar stats in college or not? Will he play to his HS stats or his rating?

I think 2 standard deviations within the mean is still within the Fair or less range. He was probably on a team that couldn't hit FTs. The Sht and Reb issues are probably connected. Ast may be as well.

This is nuts. The top two league leaders in assists at 11+ per game are Juniors who averaged around 6 in HS. That's good, but not amazing. There were 79 players in that class who averaged 5.5 or more asts in HS. That's basically one per three HS teams. The top assist man in that class averaged 10.7 a game as a Exc Scout Fair+ Hands. Not only is he not Top 50 in assists, he has been NA his whole career at Hartford.

Maybe these are problems that have always been there but we didn't notice because we ran HS scrimmages.

Addition: Juan Lovette averaged 10.7 ast in HS. His teammate Ryan Jones averaged 23.9 pts in HS and averages 18.6 pts at PG for Manasset. His teammate Miles Lewis averaged 15.4 as a 6-7 C in HS. He averages 9.2 pts for a small team in Lancaster.

Last edited:
My starting point guard averaged 4 assists per game in HS. He had 7 last year - not 7 per game, just 7. He has 52 total assists in 77 games.

I no longer pay attention to the ratings, doesn't seem to make sense - just test out different lineups.

Also, my team is 4-1, so i would say there is a lot of SSS going on, because my team sucks.

I think 2 standard deviations within the mean is still within the Fair or less range. He was probably on a team that couldn't hit FTs. The Sht and Reb issues are probably connected. Ast may be as well.

Wait. What? +2 sd puts him in the top 2%. How could that be less than Fair - even None?

400px-Standard_deviation_diagram.svg.png

My bad, awaken. I went through the test league spreadsheets you gave me. There were 290 6-8 SFs. Only 2 had 7 or more rebounds.

There's just too much variance to account for in these stats. Perhaps we need to consider these extreme cases outliers and not top rated players.

If you are auto-recruiting, can you comment on what it is doing/who it selected?

If you are auto-recruiting, can you comment on what it is doing/who it selected?

Sure.

RPs Available 136
Scholarships Offered 0
Scholarships Available 14

So uhm yeah... I'm guessing it does nothing atm...

btw, Jordan Rosenberg, the #1 recruit, is another 6'8" SF at 7 rpg with bad scout, attributes combination.

Last edited:
RPs Available 204
Scholarships Offered 0
Scholarships Available 14

so yeah, not much going on via CPU! :)

btw, Jordan Rosenberg, the #1 recruit, is another 6'8" SF at 7 rpg with bad scout, attributes combination.

There has to be some way to separate out the “too good to be true” recruits from the real deal.

Storm, did you CPU recruit your current team?

There has to be some way to separate out the “too good to be true” recruits from the real deal.

Storm, did you CPU recruit your current team?

No, this is the first season that I set the auto recruiter on and it's doing nothing.

I guess I should have read the fine print:

The Auto-Recruiter
You will see an option to turn on the "Auto-Recruiter" on your recruiting home page. The auto recruiter is meant to help out in case you forget to recruit for a week. It follows these rules:

Will check if it should take any actions just once a week, on Friday when instructions are processed
The only action it will take is spending RPs
Will only spend RPs if 0 RPs have been spent in a given week
Will spend the same RPs on the same players as the previous week, starting with most RPs spent, on down to least RPs spent, until either all the same actions have been performed again or the team runs out of RPs
Note that this means the auto-recruiter will not submit initial recruiting actions for you.

Oh well. I'll pick up DTL again if league 7 ever sees the light of day again or kmoney fixes some of the issues.

If your team is good now, you can probably salvage recruiting now and just have one weak class.

Not worried about it. I'm enjoying Pigskin Empire enough that I don't need DTL. It has stuff you can do almost daily.

That 6'8" SF with 7.2 rpg in HS and None rebounding rating only gave me 1, 4, 1, 4 rebounds as SF in four scrimmages. It seems the players play to their attributes, regardless of how they did in HS stat-wise.

Prepping for Friday's reveal.

Back