• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Option QB?

Yes, it is a modified option and we run it poorly. Sadly, Grobe knows the option well, so he knows how to coach it. We can't execute.

So if Grobe knows the option so well, how did he miss the fact that we are completely unequipped personnel-wise to run it? If we are not good enough to run it, then we shouldn't--or we should just have better players. Either way Grobe is not doing his job very well.

Or, as the leader of he organization, he should have a vision of what he wants his program to look like, recruit toward that vision, and execute it, rather than drastically change the offensive philosophy twice a year.

Yes, it is a modified option and we run it poorly. Sadly, Grobe knows the option well, so he knows how to coach it. We can't execute.

Grobe may know how the Air Force flex-bone offense works, but we aren't running that. We haven't run that the entire time Grobe has been at Wake.

And Tanner ran zone read option out of the spread in high school. This isn't that either.

So if Grobe knows the option so well, how did he miss the fact that we are completely unequipped personnel-wise to run it? If we are not good enough to run it, then we shouldn't--or we should just have better players. Either way Grobe is not doing his job very well.

Very well said!

I don't know what we're running. I can honestly say I've never seen an offense like this before. I mean after seeing two games of it I know why - it doesn't work. We're not establishing anything since we hardly run the ball up the middle and by running side to side instead of upfield the defense can just force us out of bounds and our guys are content to just trudge out without fighting for any extra yards. If I were a player I'd be so pissed.

I don't know what we're running. I can honestly say I've never seen an offense like this before. I mean after seeing two games of it I know why - it doesn't work. We're not establishing anything since we hardly run the ball up the middle and by running side to side instead of upfield the defense can just force us out of bounds and our guys are content to just trudge out without fighting for any extra yards. If I were a player I'd be so pissed.

That last sentence. You can't convince me the players don't hate what the staff is doing just like we do. We saw it last year and we're seeing it now.

No problem...This is a new creation by Grobe and LOBO. It will take the football world by storm in a short order...

@FayettenamFlyer: @CG1three keeping it trill my nig, sittin here trying to figure out why we run the option with Price #Soconfused

Alex Frye.

If the alums are thinking it, you know the players are. Hell, Tanner probably is.

I'm FB friends with a few players from my time. They are wondering the same thing.

Or, as the leader of he organization, he should have a vision of what he wants his program to look like, recruit toward that vision, and execute it, rather than drastically change the offensive philosophy twice a year.

Exactly. It is like Lobo goes to a coaching conference and comes back and says, "boy did I learn a lot about this new offense, lets install it!" Grobe says OK. No matter that it requires players we don't have and we recruited to run Lobo's latest greatest offense of 2010! It is beyond insanity! And no one that matters is willing to say that the emperor has no clothes

@FayettenamFlyer: @CG1three keeping it trill my nig, sittin here trying to figure out why we run the option with Price #Soconfused

Alex Frye.

If the alums are thinking it, you know the players are. Hell, Tanner probably is.

I'm going to use "keeping it trill my nig" at the office on Monday to see how it goes.

Grobe may know how the Air Force flex-bone offense works, but we aren't running that. We haven't run that the entire time Grobe has been at Wake.

And Tanner ran zone read option out of the spread in high school. This isn't that either.

No one said we were running the Air Force flex-bone. Grobe knows option football from his experience. He knows how to run it (in various mutated forms) and he knows how to defend it. The key is coaching it to players who are equipped to execute it. Either our coaches can't communicate well or we have the wrong personnel (or both). The sad fact is that anyone watching can tell that Tanner is the wrong qb for this system. My guess is that they are trying to manufacture something (using Lobo genius thinking) that also includes Tanner's passing skill. However Tanner is not an accurate passer when running for his life. We are not a good football team. Maybe we can improve to be decent and win five games, but I am not planning on taking time off from work for a bowl game this year....Having watched Wake football since the early 70's, I thought we had evolved beyond this crap, but I was wrong. We just dont' have the talent needed to compete and the coaches seem to be throwing Hail Mary's with strategy.

When has Grobe shown genius with an option offense without Calhoun or defending the option?

Back