• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Orioles Bring Back Smiling Bird Logo

Interesting. I grew up going to O's games until college when the Nats came to DC. I've pretty much switched since (a) DC sports are my home teams and (b) It's so much easier to take the metro down to DC than drive up 95 in rush hour for an O's game (although now I live in Baltimore). I still love the O's and have them as 1(b), but I can't pull for them as my home team.

Side note: I fucking hate the Ravens.

Second side note: Having your 1(a) and 1(b) teams finish last and second-to-last is impressive.

I think it comes down to how big of an Orioles fan you were growing up. Baseball was my #1 sport and Orioles were my first love, so to speak. Still mean every bit as much to me as the Redskins or any other DC team. I've lived in NoVA my whole life, Nats are clearly the more convenient team. And now they even have more promise (although everyone hated their owner too up until last year), but to me that is entirely beside the point. I dont choose who I root for based on convenience or promise, or for any other reason for that matter. Pretty much that simple. It would feel like adultery if I actually rooted for someone else. But thats just me.

disagree strongly. there was huge interest in baltimore last few weeks, especially final series. everyone was interested. if o's had a good year, camden yards would sell out every night.

All of baseball was interested in those games and it had absolutely nothing to do with the O's. Hell, Camden Yards was at least 3/4 Sox fans on the final game...I was there.

Just like anywhere else the people would come if they were any good. However, their attendance numbers are shockingly low considering how many home games they have against the Sox and the Yankees.

I think it comes down to how big of an Orioles fan you were growing up. Baseball was my #1 sport and Orioles were my first love, so to speak. Still mean every bit as much to me as the Redskins or any other DC team. I've lived in NoVA my whole life, Nats are clearly the more convenient team. And now they even have more promise (although everyone hated their owner too up until last year), but to me that is entirely beside the point. I dont choose who I root for based on convenience or promise, or for any other reason for that matter. Pretty much that simple. It would feel like adultery if I actually rooted for someone else. But thats just me.

I don't know how any DC sports fan (especially a baseball fan) could pull for the O's when their ownership was the number 1 reason DC did not have a baseball team. Because of that I wish nothing but terribleness on the Peter Angelos led O's...one of the only things going right for me in the world of sports.

The O's have been and will continue to be my #1 team. I love Camden yards. Sucks the franchise is in such a horrible place.

All of baseball was interested in those games and it had absolutely nothing to do with the O's. Hell, Camden Yards was at least 3/4 Sox fans on the final game...I was there.

Lol no it wasn't....I was there.

I don't know how any DC sports fan (especially a baseball fan) could pull for the O's when their ownership was the number 1 reason DC did not have a baseball team. Because of that I wish nothing but terribleness on the Peter Angelos led O's...one of the only things going right for me in the world of sports.

Well, you obviously weren't an Orioles fan. Were you just a fan of the "insert hypothetical relocated and/or expansion team to be in DC sometime in the near future"? I was a fan before Angelos bought the team, and didnt really care if a team came to DC because I already had a team. If the Expos had moved to DC in 1985, it might have been different. But as it is the Orioles were and still are my team. They could put a team in NoVA and I would still be an Orioles fan. Don't see how that is something to be ashamed of.

This is a joke, right?

miamimarlins.jpg

And as far as ownership influencing your loyalties, I root for a team because that is who I grew up rooting for, regardless of who happens to own them now. Dan Snyder has done plenty to turn me off to the Redskins, but that doesnt mean I'm going to become a Ravens fan.

I was also an O's fan before Angelos became owner and my "switch" (i mean it can't even be called that since those teams are 1(a) and 1(b)) stems directly from my loyalty to DC teams. I still love the O's, though.

Speaking of MLB... The Astros pending sale is contingent upon them switching to the AL beginning in 2013.

Major League Baseball told Houston businessman Jim Crane it would not approve his purchase of the Houston Astros unless he agreed to move the team to the American League, The Associated Press has learned.

Crane was forced to agree to move the sale along, a person familiar with the negotiations said Wednesday on condition of anonymity because no official announcement has been made by MLB or the Astros. Approval of the sale could be announced as early as Thursday at a meeting of baseball executives in Milwaukee.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7242906/report-approval-houston-astros-sale-conditional-move-american-league

disagree strongly. there was huge interest in baltimore last few weeks, especially final series. everyone was interested. if o's had a good year, camden yards would sell out every night.

And when in the upcoming decades are they going to have a good year. I heard they were thinking of hiring Matt Millen as their GM.

Back