• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Osama Bin Laden... What is the Christian response to this?

What is my moral response to the death of Osama

• I hope he burns in Hell

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I'm just glad he is dead. Let God Decide

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • Conflicted

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Other/Poll fail

Votes: 15 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i feel like ridingdeac...this is the first time i can potentially see a real end to all this. for that, i breathe a sigh of relief. but i don't feel like it's appropriate to rejoice in another's death, regardless of who that person is.

fwiw, i answered "conflicted."

For the record, I answered, "I hope he burns in hell," but I don't think that is something to be celebrated.

your god murdered his only son I seem to recall

John 10:11 11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.

John 10:17-18 17 "Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. 18 "No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father."

Rejoicing in the execution of justice is not the same as rejoicing in the eternal condition of the individual executed.

I rejoice in justice. So does God according His own testimony:

Romans 9:22 22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,

The celebration in the streets is understandable, but I suspect is having a similar effect abroad as we felt here over the foreign celebrations in response to 9/11. Those are entirely different occurrences; however, it is not helpful in the war against terrorism.

Still public demonstrations are understandable. A friend who served injured and traumatized people in NYC immediately following the attack, told me that she is planning to revisit ground zero tonight for the first time since the event. This is an opportunity for a degree of closure. We should support that. But, the celebratory aspect should perhaps be toned down a bit.

color me conflicted. posted my thoughts elsewhere.

This isn't a thread about Jesus' death, but I can't ignore it- Jesus was not sent to earth to die, it wasn't some sort of divine suicide mission. He preached the Kingdom of God, and the kingdoms of this world didn't want to hear it, so they shut him up.

On bin Laden. What is the Christian response? There isn't just one. Depends on your theology, especially your thoughts on just war theory. I don't think a Christian (or any person) should really rejoice over the death of another person. And it remains a sad fact that violence ever is the answer.

Regarding whether or not he was or could have been "saved," is he in heaven or hell. That's a whole other discussion for another day. And at the end of the, no one really knows.

That being said, our troops got the job done, and their honor, courage and training are things to be proud of. The fact that this one (there are many more) threat is gone is a good thing. But the celebrations are just wrong and somewhat sickening.

Any follower of the Jewish/Christian OT God knows the ten commandments, and in there lies "Thou Shalt Not Kill." There's no ambiguity.

Jesus was also decidedly anti-violence, even in the face of violence. You only have to read the first 4 books of the NT to understand this fully.

So anyone who believes in the Bible and especially Jesus' teachings knows the killing of OBL (or anyone) is wrong.

But we've spent thousands of years justifying our actions when they contradict what we know is right. What's one more?

I'd like to add that I'm totally cool with the execution "for the greater good" I'm just saying Jesus would be against it.

Anyone remember the alt time Boondocks where Dr. King didn't die, but was merely in a coma? He wakes up, is on a tv show (bill maher) where he's asked what his response to 9/11 is and he's called un-American because his response is, "Jesus Christ taught us to turn the other cheek."

Any follower of the Jewish/Christian OT God knows the ten commandments, and in there lies "Thou Shalt Not Kill." There's no ambiguity.

Jesus was also decidedly anti-violence, even in the face of violence. You only have to read the first 4 books of the NT to understand this fully.

So anyone who believes in the Bible and especially Jesus' teachings knows the killing of OBL (or anyone) is wrong.

But we've spent thousands of years justifying our actions when they contradict what we know is right. What's one more?

I'd like to add that I'm totally cool with the execution "for the greater good" I'm just saying Jesus would be against it.

God killed people.

Even in Jesus's time. What about the guy who was struck dead immediately when he lied about how much he gave?

A friend posted one of my favorite MLK quotes on Facebook today:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

OBL is on a different level than almost any other enemy.

I can celebrate on some level, but I'd rather Osama and all the people who died in the efforts to get him be alive right now. Hate times hate has resulted in the loss of too many American lives.

I can celebrate on some level, but I'd rather Osama and all the people who died in the efforts to get him be alive right now. Hate times hate has resulted in the loss of too many American lives.

I don't want this to come off as overly harsh, but we don't live in Candyland and that's not possible. I would rather OBL be alive and have everybody else alive too, but that's not possible and to a large extent it's not possible because of he and his followers. I just can't feel too bad that we killed a man resisting capture, then gave him a Muslim burial after that man's group routinely captured Americans, cut their heads off on television, and then left their desecrated bodies hanging from bridges.

Regarding whether or not he was or could have been "saved," is he in heaven or hell. That's a whole other discussion for another day. And at the end of the, no one really knows.

not sure how you could believe in hell and not think Osama bin laden is there ...

Love the dissenting opinions between the religious in this thread.

If I could, I would dance on his grave and poop on his grave stone while singing god bless america.

not sure how you could believe in hell and not think Osama bin laden is there ...

Part of believing that in the resurrection and redemption by Christ and believing in an all-powerful God is that no man is so far gone that he is beyond the grace of God to save. I think many of us will be very surprised who we find in heaven, and who we do not find.

Back